Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Another NYD ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Another NYD ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-11, 02:10 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Another NYD ride

I had a New Years ride and enjoyed the beach front travel along the lake here in Chicago. It is 22f here with a 22 mph wind. I got in 30 miles.

Within a block of leaving home, I discovered that my RD cable was rusted solid. The derailleur would not move off the 19t cog. So I rode using the 38t or 46t chainring on the crank. This worked well enough for a longer solo ride with no hills.

The lakefront path was battered by recent storms, so I was required to ride on soft embankment to get around the damage. Sure enough, just as I stand up to climb, the rear axle slips out of the drop-outs and I go over like Humpty-Dumpty. I fell down the embankment, clipped-in (of-course).

I met another rider after 25 miles. Mike & I had coffee and talked about family. This was the best part of the ride.

Now I need to align the handlebar stem and replace the RD cable. I hope to ride 4 days by this time next week.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-01-11 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-01-11, 02:21 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Hard core. I was pretty whiny after riding 13 miles, and it was a balmy 45F.

You might run into my son someday. He attends Moody Bible and loves to ride and jog along the lakefront path. He rides a cheapy BD orange single speed, which was a good choice, as his first one was trashed when he was hit by a car.
Old 01-01-11, 03:23 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Enjoyed a 20 mile NYD club ride. Mid-30's, breezy, dry. Felt colder as we approached the end.

I was able to shift gears, and I did.
Old 01-01-11, 03:42 PM
Bare Feet

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you're OK Michael (you are, aren't you?)

Just wondering, did you and Mike already know each other, or did you make a new cycling friend?
Old 01-01-11, 04:10 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Hope you weren't hurt too badly.

I went for an easy 14 mile ride with the club today. Crazy to be riding in shorts an ss jersey in January.
https://mvillebikes.com/vBulletin/sho...=2295#post2295
Old 01-01-11, 04:18 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Bare Feet
Glad you're OK Michael (you are, aren't you?)

Just wondering, did you and Mike already know each other, or did you make a new cycling friend?
Hi!

Yes, I'm OK (thank you for asking), I might want to sleep on my left side only tonight ;-P.

Yes, Mike is a friend and the meeting was arranged. Mike is always on a first rate Italian bike. It was a Colnago, this time!

Here is Mike on a vintage ride with about a dozen people back in 2009;

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-01-11 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-01-11, 05:39 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
...It is 22f here with a 22 mph wind. I got in 30 miles.

The lakefront path was battered by recent storms, so I was required to ride on soft embankment to get around the damage. Sure enough, just as I stand up to climb, the rear axle slips out of the drop-outs and I go over like Humpty-Dumpty. I fell down the embankment, clipped-in (of-course).
Well done on the NYD ride. 22 F, 22 mph, and 30 miles... sounds like a worthy accomplishment to me. Glad the injuries were no more serious than they are.
Old 01-01-11, 06:37 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I had a New Years ride and enjoyed the beach front travel along the lake here in Chicago. It is 22f here with a 22 mph wind. I got in 30 miles.

Within a block of leaving home, I discovered that my RD cable was rusted solid. The derailleur would not move off the 19t cog. So I rode using the 38t or 46t chainring on the crank. This worked well enough for a longer solo ride with no hills.

I met another rider after 25 miles. Mike & I had coffee and talked about family. This was the best part of the ride.

Now I need to align the handlebar stem and replace the RD cable. I hope to ride 4 days by this time next week.
Glad the injuries to yourself or the bike weren't more serious.
I got in a little ride today, but I cut it short due to the rain. Hoping to get a couple of rides in Monday and Tuesday.