Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Looking for a good place to retire

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-11, 06:46 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts

We have retired.

Now we are looking for a place to retire to. We are both tired of winter.

So we are looking at places that are warmer. I don't like a lot of humid weather.

And we do want to keep riding our bikes.

We want to be in or near a small city. I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere
or in a big city.
Old 01-07-11, 06:52 PM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Tucson Arizona sounds like the place for you. There are lots of other smaller towns on the outskirts of the Phoenix Metro area also. I live in Mesa Arizona and am very happy here. It's a lot cheaper than the California coastal areas for sure. Good luck.
Old 01-07-11, 07:15 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Southern Italy. Far cheaper than the US, awesome food and wines, great life style for the money spent, easily accessible form many larger cities nearby, far cheaper real state than the rest of Italy, great beaches and areas to ride. Drawbacks are: not very english speaking oriented as the rest of Italy, a few years behind in high technology use, not so affluent as the rest of Italy.
Old 01-07-11, 07:25 PM
tinrobot
Spit out the back

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by late
We have retired.

So we are looking at places that are warmer. I don't like a lot of humid weather.

We want to be in or near a small city. I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere
or in a big city.
Sri Lanka. They speak English, it's tropical, and totally cheap. Not sure about good bike shops, but there's always mail order.
Old 01-07-11, 07:46 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Search on line. There was a report issue recently about the 10 worst states in the US to retire to. I would avoid those. I know New Jersey and New York were on the list, we considered that area and Pennsylvania and North Carolina were not on the list. I don't remember the other.
Old 01-07-11, 07:47 PM
jdon

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I really like the moderate climate of the PNW. Areas like Eugene and Bend Oregon are beautiful and offer a lot of outdoor and community activities. Arizona is pretty darn nice as well.
Old 01-07-11, 08:07 PM
arkansasgal

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out Topretirements. com. My city, Fayetteville (AR), is usually ranked in the 60's out of the top 100 retirement cities in the US. I feel so blessed to live here (35 years) with the beautiful Ozark mountains, easy access to the Buffalo River, great cycling and hiking, and a wonderful cultural environment with the University of Arkansas. It is a city with so many opportunities and choices that are usually found in bigger cities. Check it out.
Old 01-07-11, 08:23 PM
late

We are going to drive around and look at some of those places soon.

Sri Lanka? Now there's one I would have never come up with on my own.
Long drive if I wanted to go home for Xmas...

I love the idea of the NW. We will check that out.
Old 01-07-11, 10:19 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
We have retired.

or in a big city.
You just described Medford/Ashland Oregon. Actually you'll find some similarities between Oregon and Maine. Great cycling, Ashland theater scene, skiing nearby, wine country, 5 -6 hour drive to San Francisco. Nice area, check it out.
Old 01-07-11, 11:05 PM
TheHen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't know about southern OR, Shifty. They get a fair amount of ice in the winter and the area is pretty bike unfriendly. If the OP has had it with winters, and I assume that refers to temperatures that freeze water, he/she should visit the prospective locations in January to get a real feel for what passes for winter in those places.

Here's my odd suggestion: Winters, CA. In spite of its name there is no winter there. It is located at the foot of the coast range (on the east side) about 70 miles from San Francisco. Head west 10 miles and you are in the Napa hills; lots of great cycling there. Head east 12 miles and you are in Davis, CA with its University of CA campus. Go another twenty miles east and you are in Sacramento, which is a pretty large city. All of that can be reached by safe cycling routes (much of it bike path). There are something like 15 westbound trains per day from Davis to the greater Bay Area if you want higher-end cultural offerings without driving. Summer highs range from 90F to 110F, but there is no humidity and the delta breeze (very cool) blows in nearly every evening so that summer lows are in the 50s. What passes for winter involves highs around 55F and lows around 40F. Some years there is no frost whatsoever. Good golly, what am I doing in Eugene instead of moving to Winters myself?

If you don't mind a bit of liquid sunshine, join Shifty and me in Eugene. We have the world's best summers, some truly great places to ride and a small but growing community of cyclists. Ice is rare, snow happens twice a year at most and is usually gone by day's end. We do have lots of days with some rain, but it's not often horrid unless it is one of those years when it keeps coming into June. We have a bit of grass pollen (large grass seed farms to the north of us, prevailing north winds in the spring/summer), so if you have issues with grass pollen go elsewhere. We also have lots of annoying petty theft, but that is pretty easy to deal with even if it is discouraging. The coast is 90 miles away by my favorite route (sometimes I don't have a single car pass me until I am ten miles from the water). If you drive the coast is only 60 miles away. Okay, now I know why I live here.

Good luck finding the right place. I advise trying out a few (just rent) before jumping in. You may find that you prefer to change homes every year or two. Of course, we expect regular updates, with pictures, of your hunting process.
Old 01-07-11, 11:07 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We are going to drive around and look at some of those places soon.

Sri Lanka? Now there's one I would have never come up with on my own.
Long drive if I wanted to go home for Xmas...

I love the idea of the NW. We will check that out.
PNW sounds a bit more in line with what I think of in a place to retire. Sri Lanka might take a lot of checking.

current situation: Sri Lanka is a source and destination country for men and women trafficked for the purposes of involuntary servitude and commercial sexual exploitation; Sri Lankan men and women migrate willingly to the Persian Gulf, Middle East, and East Asia to work as construction workers, domestic servants, or garment factory workers, where some find themselves in situations of involuntary servitude when faced with restrictions on movement, withholding of passports, threats, physical or sexual abuse, and debt bondage; children are trafficked internally for commercial sexual exploitation and, less frequently, for forced labor
tier rating: Tier 2 Watch List - for a fourth consecutive year, Sri Lanka is on the Tier 2 Watch List for failing to provide evidence of increasing efforts to combat severe forms of human trafficking, particularly in the area of law enforcement; the government failed to arrest, prosecute, or convict any person for trafficking offenses and continued to punish some victims of trafficking for crimes committed as a result of being trafficked; Sri Lanka has not ratified the 2000 UN TIP Protocol (2008)

Now if you never plan on any grandkids visiting you might roll the dice but North Korea sounds safer. IMHO.
Old 01-07-11, 11:30 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You just described my town, and our neighboring town (the latter sponsors our bike group). Small-town feel, bike lanes everywhere, hills (if you want them), humidity not bad, lots of cyclists, good cycling year-round.
Old 01-08-11, 12:12 AM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the geezer magazines, either AARP or Via (AAA), did a story recently on retiring in other countries. Some of them sounded pretty good. You should be able to find it online (may have been Sunset magazine, now that I think of it).
Neighbors of ours moved to Baja California six or seven years ago (from Reno, Nev.), and they love it. I like the country, but not their situation--the subdivision looks like a tract-house farm in Bakersfield. If I want that, I can stay where I am.
We looked at several possibilities when I retired three years ago, mainly because I'm a California guy and never liked the cold, but decided to stay where we are at least for now. We've lived here almost 40 years, with friends and connections, and my wife was pretty unhappy at the thought of leaving.
A note about Tucson, though: I worked there for a few years, and I like Arizona quite a lot, but Phoenix and Tucson hover over 110 degrees for months at a time. Don't let anybody tell you "it's a dry heat." It will knock you down and kick you. And you'd have about the worst two senators in the country, if that's a factor. that place is still struggling to accept Eisenhower.

Last edited by Velo Dog; 01-08-11 at 12:15 AM.
Old 01-08-11, 12:18 AM
late

Originally Posted by Yen
You just described my town, and our neighboring town (the latter sponsors our bike group). Small-town feel, bike lanes everywhere, hills (if you want them), humidity not bad, lots of cyclists, good cycling year-round.
Sounds great, ummm, what town would that be?
Old 01-08-11, 12:19 AM
late

Originally Posted by Velo Dog
One of the geezer magazines, either AARP or Via (AAA), did a story recently on retiring in other countries. Some of them sounded pretty good. You should be able to find it online (may have been Sunset magazine, now that I think of it).
Neighbors of ours moved to Baja California six or seven years ago (from Reno, Nev.), and they love it. I like the country, but not their situation--the subdivision looks like a tract-house farm in Bakersfield. If I want that, I can stay where I am.
We looked at several possibilities when I retired three years ago, mainly because I'm a California guy and never liked the cold, but decided to stay where we are at least for now. We've lived here almost 40 years, with friends and connections, and my wife was pretty unhappy at the thought of leaving.
A note about Tucson, though: I worked there for a few years, and I like Arizona quite a lot, but Phoenix and Tucson hover over 110 degrees for months at a time. Don't let anybody tell you "it's a dry heat." It will knock you down and kick you. And you'd have about the worst two senators in the country, if that's a factor. that place is still struggling to accept Eisenhower.
I've never been to Tucson, so I would like to visit. But you are right, I've only seen heat like that once and it about killed me.
Old 01-08-11, 02:04 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Doesn't matter where you go to lose the winter cold- You are so adjusted to cooler summers that you will probably get annoyed at not being able to ride in 90% humidity and 100F temps.

So I reckon one of those big mobile Motor homes- then you can follow the weather.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-08-11, 06:58 AM
late

Originally Posted by stapfam
Doesn't matter where you go to lose the winter cold- You are so adjusted to cooler summers that you will probably get annoyed at not being able to ride in 90% humidity and 100F temps.

So I reckon one of those big mobile Motor homes- then you can follow the weather.
I don't like them.

I should be able to find a place I like.

If it wasn't so far away, I'd consider one of those Brit expat communities on
the coast of Turkey.
Old 01-08-11, 07:53 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I've never been to Tucson, so I would like to visit. But you are right, I've only seen heat like that once and it about killed me.
I have a sister in Phoenix and another who recently moved to Tuscon. I never liked Phoenix (feels like a giant, flat suburb) but my family always told me try Tuscon since it is smaller and more "old west" feeling. So I went to Tuscon and it felt like a slightly smaller version of Phoenix. The weather is nice but you really have to like that endless suburb feel. Both cities have some great desert mountains around them if you like hiking, mountain biking, etc.
Old 01-08-11, 08:05 AM
lphilpot
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on how "small" of a small city you like, but the semi-arid climate in SW Texas is IMO delightful. Alpine, TX (5,500 pop., www.alpinetexas.com) is at about 4,000+ feet elevation, with hills/mountains in the area up to almost 8,000. Humidity is usually (very) low, summers are moderate and winters mild. However, the nearest 100,000+ city is about 180 miles away. For me, that's wonderful, but it might be too remote for some. I know I'd like to retire in that general area, though.
Old 01-08-11, 08:26 AM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by arkansasgal
Check out Topretirements. com. My city, Fayetteville (AR), is usually ranked in the 60's out of the top 100 retirement cities in the US. I feel so blessed to live here (35 years) with the beautiful Ozark mountains, easy access to the Buffalo River, great cycling and hiking, and a wonderful cultural environment with the University of Arkansas. It is a city with so many opportunities and choices that are usually found in bigger cities. Check it out.
And currently, we have at least 7 bike shops, one with two locations. The shop at which I purchased Slick has the best mechanic on the face of the earth. Thus far, if I can find a way to screw it up, he has found a way to fix it.

We have two indoor firing ranges and one outdoor range if you are a shooter/hunter.

We have two malls, each of which I visit one time a year in December.

We have this singing group, https://www.singingmenofarkansas.org/

We have this place for cultural endeavors, https://www.waltonartscenter.org/

The great out of doors is just a few minutes away from wherever you live.

We have this baseball team, which plays in a really nice, new stadium,
https://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/index.jsp?sid=t1350

And we have this bunch, the Ozark Roadies, which accepts new members and welcomes guest BF 50+ riders when they're passing through.
Old 01-08-11, 08:37 AM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
You should visit, go in July to get a feel for 110 day after day. Tucson might be much bigger than you want, it's grown quite large over the years. There is only one area in Arizona I'd recommend, Cottonwood or Clarksdale in the Verde River valley. Very pretty and nicer climate, a bit milder. Thing is that you'll have to hold your nose from the stench of AZ politics these days.

TheHen is right, nice cycling in Oregon. We'd be happy to have you here.
Old 01-08-11, 08:43 AM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Interesting that you want to leave southern Maine for someplace warmer. While the cold does bother me a little more than it used to, I'm looking at the Portland area as a possible retirement place. I understand the area is very bike friendly, and a good place overall for retirees. But... There is always the winter to contend with. Portland's winters are like Boston's: Long and cold.

New Hampshire does not have a state income tax of sales tax, but they do have wicked high property taxes. Not sure if they tax social security income, pensions, etc. Anyone care to share information?
Old 01-08-11, 08:49 AM
ctyler
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by arkansasgal
I'd vote for Arkansas. I lived in Mountain View for three years and regret moving back to Wisconsin, even with all my family here.
Old 01-08-11, 08:50 AM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It would be hard to recommend Western NC right now as I type this we have 6" of snow and it's still snowing. We expect another heavy snow on Monday. To be honest, I have a friend from Maine here and he wouldn't want to be any further south. If you are retired, you can travel during the couple months of winter if you want.

But if low humidity and mild temps are what you want, check out SoCal (as long as you can afford to retire there). Though small city it isn't.
Old 01-08-11, 09:08 AM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Yellow Springs, Ohio. Nice college town with instant access to the Scenic Little Miami bike trail system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.