Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Have a Poprad.. Anywhere in Houston to ride cross?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-10, 10:35 AM
adimp

Bikes: 2005 LeMond Sarthe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In order to do cyclocross, do I have to enter in a race?? Can't I just practice somewhere? If so, is there anywhere in Houston I can practice without entering in a race and making an ass out of myself? thx
Old 05-19-10, 12:54 PM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Find easy mountain bike trails, then ride.
Old 02-16-11, 08:46 PM
adimp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bumping this thread so I can get more input. Does anyone know where to ride cyclocross in Houston area without joining a race? Thanks a bunch!
Old 02-16-11, 09:55 PM
scattered73
Justin

Bikes: Soma Double Cross, KHS Urban Uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Races have been at terry hershey park, memorial park, mason park and the trail off allen parkway that I can recall off hand. I personally like to go exploring off the trails and streets in wooded areas and off the side of the bayous. One of my favorites spots to ride my my cross bike is inside the barker resivor (some trails back there) and addicks resivor (might be trespassing never been really sure) and can get real nice and muddy and nobody cares about the ruts your bike will leave just beware aware where the shooting range and archery range are. Over behind the velodrome there is what appears to be atv tracks that can be fun to follow. The mtb trails are fun also but when they get real good and muddy it is closed. Brazos Bend state park is another favorite of mine from downtown to the park then riding some of the paths and off the paths and makes for a nice day trip coming close to a 100 miles more or less depending on how much riding you do at the park (bonus points for bunny hoping gators). All my suggestions will be within cycling distance from downtown houston and back since I don't drive. So those that drive might have some further out suggestions.
Old 02-16-11, 10:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
for barrier dismounts you just have to set them up somewhere ..

less momentum lost on dismounts , barrier hurdling and getting back on,
the better..
Old 02-17-11, 02:15 AM
adimp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scattered73
Races have been at terry hershey park, memorial park, mason park and the trail off allen parkway that I can recall off hand. I personally like to go exploring off the trails and streets in wooded areas and off the side of the bayous. One of my favorites spots to ride my my cross bike is inside the barker resivor (some trails back there) and addicks resivor (might be trespassing never been really sure) and can get real nice and muddy and nobody cares about the ruts your bike will leave just beware aware where the shooting range and archery range are. Over behind the velodrome there is what appears to be atv tracks that can be fun to follow. The mtb trails are fun also but when they get real good and muddy it is closed. Brazos Bend state park is another favorite of mine from downtown to the park then riding some of the paths and off the paths and makes for a nice day trip coming close to a 100 miles more or less depending on how much riding you do at the park (bonus points for bunny hoping gators). All my suggestions will be within cycling distance from downtown houston and back since I don't drive. So those that drive might have some further out suggestions.
...so what you're saying is.. No. I like a little adventure in my life, but... dodging bullets and arrows...and alligators, or getting lost in the woods where my voice can't be heard for miles??? No thanks.
Old 02-17-11, 02:37 AM
scattered73
Justin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another suggestion woud be to check out https://yetticross.com/ the local series in town I think it starts up in september and runs once a week for a couple of months and I don't think you need to buy a (temp or) racing license for this not sure what if any cost. I don't really know to much about this series since there is a work conflict with this for me and not an option. The two official cross races are in the first weekend in december Mason Park one day and Allen Parkway the other. As far as any other cross events I am not aware of any others wish there were would love to see more in houston. As far as when I did my first race I practiced a mounts and dismounts a couple days before the race and just did it, though don't ask what I placed.
Old 02-17-11, 03:23 AM
scattered73
Justin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adimp
...so what you're saying is.. No. I like a little adventure in my life, but... dodging bullets and arrows...and alligators, or getting lost in the woods where my voice can't be heard for miles??? No thanks.
At barker resivor (george bush park) is safe though there is a shooting range next to it just be aware of it's location if you go off the trails I highly doubt you could mistakenly come in danger there getting shot I am sure it is fenced off from park (plus you can hear the gunfire when you are to close). There are paved trails and offroad trails that are meant for cyclist, hikers and bird watchers.
Adddicks resivor (bear creek park/cullen park) again has paved trails but I go off road road sometimes along the top of dam at both parks which is permitted by hikers and cyclist and safe. As far as going off the trails at addicks I usually roll by and see if the archery range is open if I am going exploring in that area.
You can practice run ups on the side of the resivor levys or the sides of bayous (allen parkway trail is good for this) just don't put yourself in danger of falling in the bayou.
Brazos bend has lots of gators and when water levels are very high or flooded the gators do get out of the ponds I went once right after flooding and several gators were on the paths but there quite a few people out on the paths also. As far as bunny hoping gators I would not recomend this I was just kidding.
As far as my exploring alone I bring my gps and cell. I found some really neat places exploring and some creepy places just use good judgement.
Old 02-17-11, 11:25 PM
adimp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all your input, Scattered. I usually bring my road bike to Hershey Park and notice a lot of mtb'ers. I'm wondering if the trails out there are suitable to ride with the cross bike? Also, memorial park.. same question. Thanks again!
ps: You said there were quite a few people on the paths with the gators at Brazos Bend? I'm sure they are friendly gators, but huh???
Yes I'm a total wuss
Old 02-18-11, 09:11 AM
scattered73
Justin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have ridden my cross bike many times in the mtb trail at memriol park they can be tricky and there are sections that I shoulder the bike thru (my crazy friend made that my first ride with my first cross bike). There is a trail at george bush park called the noble trail ( https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/11669090 this link covers mostly the paved part not my map) which is pretty tame and can get nice and muddy when conditions are right but can get flooded after heavy rains and you can ride the levy there also. There is the ant hills at terry hershey though I am not familar with them so I really couldn't give much advice there. Brazos bend is really safe and there is several trails it is only when it floods that the gators get loose and the trails are very tame the no gravel trails are some the best just watch out for hikers on blind turns.