Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Anyone have any experience with the Electra Amsterdam Sport Custom 9sp?

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-10, 04:49 AM
punybrockazie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone!

First post here.. =)

I´m looking to buy a new bike, to be used for light commuting, getting around town and just cruising around with my 5 year old son.

I have a health problem that keeps me from riding mtb´s and hybrids. I can´t ride in a hunched over, forward position.

I´ve looked at a lot of different upright/cruiser/comfort bikes - and I´m fairly sure I´m either going to get an Electra Townie or an Electra Amsterdam Sport Custom 9sp. I´m totally in love with the way the Amsterdam Sport Custom looks , but I´m worried that it will give me a less upright riding position..

Does anyone on here have any firsthand experience with these bikes? Could anyone give me some info on the riding position on the Sport custom? I´m 6´1", average build.
Old 09-15-10, 10:57 AM
masiman

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Best bet is to do some test riding but that sounds like it may not be possible.

Generically, if you are physically limited wrt traditional bike positions, the comfort, cruiser, hybrid, foot forward bikes give a more upright and even reclined position. If they do not work, recumbents are often another solution. They are quite comfortable. I think their main drawbacks are that they are not what folks think of when they think of bikes and thus shy away, and that they are usually more expensive than equivalent upright bikes.

Definitely do some test riding. Even if it is not the exact same model. Most manufacturers copy each others styles and geometries. If you can't ride the exact model, a ride on a competing bike will be not to different geometry wise from what you are looking for. A good LBS will be able to set you up on an equivalent test ride. Anyone's opinion/impressions will be purely that and could easily not be your opinion or impression. Test riding is the best way to figure out what you like.

Good luck. Post back with what you choose.
Old 09-15-10, 11:44 AM
punybrockazie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply! =)

Unfortunately I can´t get my hands on any of these bikes for a test ride, I live in Norway - and there are no shops stocking Electra bikes. I´ve tried an Electra beach cruiser in the past though (Hellbilly, I think..), which has a frame similar to the Townies as far as I can tell. I thought that it was really comfortable, but I´m not crazy about the aesthetics..

So maybe a better question would have been if anyone has tried both bikes, and has an opinion on the difference in riding position between them..

I´m going to have to order it online, so it´s going to be a case of buying sight unseen and then selling it if it doesn´t suit me.
Old 09-16-10, 06:15 AM
masiman

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
I'm surprised that there is not a European offering that would be close. I am not overly familiar with the European market, but the pictures and stories I have read seem to show a broader utility and alternative bike market than here in the US. They don't seem to have as many recumbents or tandems but definitely more in the work and utility bike areas.

If you don't have anything local, any chance you might be traveling soon? You could make a trip to an LBS as part of the trip.

I imagine you all have some sort of Craigslist equivalent. Definitely troll there. You may get lucky on finding an Electra for less money than new. Expand the online used bike search if possible. You can find some very good deals if you are willing to work out shipping details.
Old 09-17-10, 03:47 AM
punybrockazie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

I actually ended up ordering the Amsterdam Sport Special after chatting a bit with some friendly folks over at Electra Bikes. Got it pretty cheap as it´s not a 2010/2011 model.

Norway is pretty much a mtb/hybrid country as far as I can tell. There are some shops stocking beach cruisers and fixies, but not many "european/amsterdam" style bikes (other than the versions provided by the big mainstream brands). But then again, I´m by no means an expert..

Hopefully the bike will fit me, if not - I´m selling it and trying a Townie instead. =)
Old 10-09-10, 10:12 AM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Its one size fits all. You "grow" the seatpost and the bars to match your height and you ride.

If you don't like the saddle, you can install a more comfortable one.

Let us know if you like it.
Old 10-09-10, 11:54 AM
punybrockazie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got it a week or so ago, and it´s a very cool bike!

It´s slightly more forward and "aggressive" than some of the cruisers I´ve tried - but a whole lot more relaxed and upright than your average MTB/hybrid. The handlebars sweep pretty far back, so you´ll have a comfortable sitting position. Very light and reasonably speedy, and I don´t mind it being a bit on the slow and upright side anyways - because I´m too busy enjoying the ride to be in a hurry..

I absolutely adore this bike, and I´m saving up for a proper double lock combo so I can start riding it to work everyday. Oslo is not a safe place for a bike as good looking as this..
Old 10-09-10, 01:15 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
A crank forward takes some getting used to. But once you ride one, its hard to get off it, LOL.

Glad you like it.

Get a U-Lock and several cables. More than one makes it more time consuming a thief to steal it.

Have fun with your new Amsterdam!
Old 03-10-11, 07:08 PM
corprwhs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$299 for New Electra Amsterdam 9SP? Any good?

Hey all,
I was wonder if anyone had much experience with the Electra Amsterdam 9SP. I've been able to find info online on the 3i and Royal 8i, but not a lot of information on this model. I saw one thread in the archives, but it wasn't too informative. For those of you who aren't familiar with this make/model, here's a link: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=28325. I ask specifically because I am looking for a new bike to make the four mile each way commute to work with, and can buy one new from my local bike store for $299. I love the styling, but am concerned with the quality. My current bike is one I got when I was 10, a 1995 Schwinn High Plains MTB. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Chris
Old 03-10-11, 09:51 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not for cross, nope.
Old 03-11-11, 08:39 AM
scattered73
Justin

Bikes: Soma Double Cross, KHS Urban Uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My boss got one for his mother and she has been very happy with it and have heard that electra makes good bikes. I once looked at the amsterdam as a commuting bike but ended up going with a different bike and remember them being in the $600 range. Though the model I was looking at had more fender coverage and an internal hub not sure how that effects price. You may want to post this in the commuting forum probably get more replies than the cyclocross forum.
Old 03-11-11, 09:51 AM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can a moderator please move this to something like general cycling or hybrids?
Old 03-11-11, 02:35 PM
corprwhs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I actually posted this again in the commuting forum, but I can't figure out how to delete this thread.