Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Old 11-30-11, 10:29 AM
seanile
Sheriff of Nottingham

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i know it's not loaded but im getting my panniers for christmas haha. there will be a front rack too, i just didnt have it yet for the pictures. custom built by my buddy armando quiros in boston. ultegra 3x10, phil hubs, ck headset, vo stem/post/rims/fenders, surly racks.

..yea, that's a missile lol.

i love fillet brazing

i'll be circumnavigating ireland next july.

Last edited by seanile; 11-30-11 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-03-11, 08:38 AM
curly666

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Robaix, Specialized Carmel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a neat site if you like to check out loaded bikes
https://www.pbase.com/canyonlands/fullyloaded
Old 12-03-11, 12:49 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
moe, ya thats a pretty neat photo data base, have seen it before and it is fun to just sit with your lunch or whatever and look at all the variations. Good link to put up.
Old 12-03-11, 08:06 PM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Minutes away from starting "The Longest Downhill In The World" from the final pass on the Tibetan Plateau down to the Kathmandu valley. A drop from 5,220 meters to less than 600 meters over 100k.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2659[1].jpg (99.3 KB, 572 views)
Old 12-03-11, 08:33 PM
azesty
Hot in China

Bikes: Giant Lava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curly666
Originally Posted by djb
moe, ya thats a pretty neat photo data base, have seen it before and it is fun to just sit with your lunch or whatever and look at all the variations. Good link to put up.
If you liked that one, you are sure to love this one:

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?..._id=8000&v=2m1

Scroll down for the individual models

Most of the fullyloaded images are there. They also have a bunch of unidentified catagories that you can help with if you are so inclined.

z
Old 12-03-11, 08:33 PM
curly666

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Robaix, Specialized Carmel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bike
Old 12-04-11, 09:21 PM
NateCav

Bikes: Lotus Odyssey (I hope), LeMond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You call that "loaded?"

Ok, so this isn't *MY* loaded rig, but while on the Tour d'Afrique several years ago I saw some bikes loaded up which might not be counting every ounce.

Old 12-11-11, 02:36 PM
Jamoni

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not "Fully" loaded, but you get the idea. Just for overnighters in nice weather.
Old 12-12-11, 08:02 AM
Bike Hermit
ghost on a machine

Bikes: Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen, Serotta Colorado Legend TG, Rivendell Roadeo, Surly Cross Check, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by County
My 1991 Trek 970 converted to expedition tourer.
Seen here in a solo tour in Mexico and Guatemala Dec 2010.
I, for one, would like to hear more about this trip. Do you have a journal posted anywhere?
Old 12-12-11, 11:28 PM
spike57

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Likes For spike57:
Old 12-14-11, 07:48 PM
trailz 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
The Big Dipper!

5 day credit card tour in central/northern/lower Michigan. Everyday another malt!
Attached Images
Big Dipper.jpg (52.0 KB, 509 views)
Old 12-21-11, 12:58 AM
aprilstarchild

Bikes: 1961 Raleigh Sports, 1985 Miyata two-ten, 1995 Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Novara

So, I have to use a link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/urbanad...s-7309141@N04/ because it's my boyfriend's picture and flickr won't let me post it.

My boyfriend and I did a four month, 4,000 mile tour this year on a really circuitous route, from Portland (Oregon) to Chicago, that included about two months total in Canada. This shot was taken outside of St. Mary in Glacier National Park, the day we rode up to Waterton Lakes National Park in Alberta. We had intended to ride Going-to-the-Sun-Road, but alas, it was still covered in snow, so we had to go around the park. I'm still bummed about that. The road had the latest opening in its history, about a week and a half after we left Glacier. C'est la vie--just another reason to go back, I suppose!

As a side note, the FLIES that day were awful. The rest of the trip was plagued by mosquitoes (everywhere we went: "the mosquitoes are really bad this year." You don't say!) but that day was huge flies. And they'd fly around you in circles inches from you. I thought I was going to insane. Also, we figured it out: about 9mph is the speed at which you can outrun flying insects. A headwind that fast works, as does biking that fast. But if you're going uphill and it's not windy? You're screwed.

My boyfriend is on the left. He has a Surly Long Haul Trucker.

My bicycle is on the right. It's a 1995 Novara Randonee, bought on craigslist (which is where all my bicycles came from originally).

The top tube is covered in stickers (all Portland related) because I hated the "handwriting" font that "Randonee" was written in, and because I had a ton of stickers. You can't make them out from this shot though.

The saddle is a Brooks Champion Flyer I'd bought in Missoula at the Adventure Cycling office, I ended up giving up on it in Edmonton and getting a Terry Butterfly that I adore. Turns out I can't ride a leather saddle with drop bars. I gave them a fair shot of about a thousand miles.

The handlebars are Salsa Woodchippers on a ridiculously tall stem bought cheaply in Vancouver, B.C. after I had problems with my original stem + stem extender. I love these handlebars! So comfy for braking. Definitely meant to be ridden from the drops, not the hoods.

The rear bags are Axiom, I forget the exact model, and after a couple of years of semi-frequent touring they are finally starting to fade and show lots of wear, but they're still good for lots more mileage. The bag lashed to my rear rack with an old inner tube is from REI. The front bags are from Portland bag maker North Street (https://northstbags.com/), my boyfriend's front and rear panniers are from North Street as well. We love those bags. He makes models that convert from backpack to pannier!

The tires are Schwalbe Marathons, 28's, but I've switched to 32's since.

Ummm....what else? The bits of color on my seat post are those slap-bracelet things supposedly for pant legs. One advertises an HMO, the author a lawyer...
Old 12-25-11, 05:52 PM
JWHenry
Flatted

Bikes: 2011 Dawes Deadeye(mod) 2011 Specialized Comp Compact M2 Apex, 2017 Kona Sutra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is mine. This is just a "dry" run to check clearance and fit, so far so good. I have 28s on it right now but will be jumping to 32s before I go on my first overnight sometime in the spring and possibly some frame bags for extra storage.

Attached Images
100_1680.jpg (96.8 KB, 458 views)
Old 12-25-11, 11:20 PM
kc0yef 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
flipper
Old 12-26-11, 10:47 AM
antokelly

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seanile
i know it's not loaded but im getting my panniers for christmas haha. there will be a front rack too, i just didnt have it yet for the pictures. custom built by my buddy armando quiros in boston. ultegra 3x10, phil hubs, ck headset, vo stem/post/rims/fenders, surly racks.

..yea, that's a missile lol.

i love fillet brazing

i'll be circumnavigating ireland next july.
I'll keep an eye out for you on that class bike ,can you give me more info on the wheels please.
Old 12-31-11, 12:10 PM
drive2xL

Bikes: plenty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ready for the french alps back in 2006...
Attached Images
PIC_0176.jpg (101.0 KB, 360 views)
Old 01-07-12, 09:44 PM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by curly666
A LOT of MTBs in that gallery...

1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing)
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix
Old 01-10-12, 03:31 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I'll update with racks & bags as they are added;

It's a 64cm size Windor Tourist with the following upgrades;

• 48, 36 & 22t triple with a 12-27 nine-speed cassette
• Salsa Woodchipper bars and bar end shifters
• 40 spoke Velocity Dyad 29er rims with high flange hubs
• 700x38 Schwalbe Marathon Cross tires

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 01-10-12, 06:52 PM
County

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^ @Barrettscv, could you post a close up photo of the tread pattern of the Marathon Cross? I've never seen a set mounted on a rim before. I'm just curious, I use the regular Marathons, myself.
Old 01-10-12, 07:11 PM
oldride

Bikes: 91 Specialized Sirrus, 96 Gary Fischer, 08 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2010 Specialized Tricross Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Barrettscv the bike looks nice. I like your upgrades. I'm curious about your decision to go this route vs. building up a touring frame? I have a 26" wheeled tourer now but I'm considering buying or building a 700c tourer so any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 01-10-12, 08:13 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by County
^^^ @Barrettscv, could you post a close up photo of the tread pattern of the Marathon Cross? I've never seen a set mounted on a rim before. I'm just curious, I use the regular Marathons, myself.
I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Originally Posted by oldride
Barrettscv the bike looks nice. I like your upgrades. I'm curious about your decision to go this route vs. building up a touring frame? I have a 26" wheeled tourer now but I'm considering buying or building a 700c tourer so any feedback would be appreciated.
Hi O.R.,

I got the bike from Bike Island, It’s a returned BikesDirect item and was sold to me without wheels for half price. The bike needed total reassembly, I checked it, all-over, for damage and carefully rebuilt it. It was nice having all the small parts. The wheelset came from Rocky Mountain (https://www.ebay.com/itm/380379158004 ) and were a great bargain. I hope the Formula hubs are as beefy as they look! I think I have about $800 in the bike, but I need to check my costs.

I considered buying a new, complete LHT, but decided that I would end up spending too much for the Surly once the prep work and changes were complete.

I always disassemble and apply framesaver to each new steel bike I own, buying a new complete bike and taking it apart seemed counter-productive. I also wanted the sourced handlebars, crankset and Velocity rims on touring hubs. I like these items better than the LHT components.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-10-12 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-15-12, 08:04 PM
Mardmakarm

Bikes: Kona Sutra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thorn Raven Tour was chosen from my cycling experienced.

"Two wheels tank" is what i will use for this one.

I cut a piece of leather to protect top tube from handlerbar bash.

Topeak is quite strong and useful for both commuting and short touring.

Eccentric bottom bracket made the frame easy to clean and maintenance

And because of eccentric bottom bracket so no chain tension needed.(plus i can use single speed chain for lesser maintenance.)

Busch & Muller Cyo 60 N + and Shimano dynamo hub, with this combo i can go anywhere in the dark.

Brook B17, legendary saddle that still nothing match.
Old 01-22-12, 07:37 PM
irishbill76

Bikes: '11 Dawes Vantage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Quite A Galaxy...

Heres mine. 2011 Dawes Vantage, baby sister to the almighty Dawes Galaxy. Shes no classic and certainly not fully loaded yet but I'm getting there. She's only a week and a half old and I've only put 6 miles on her so far but this coming Wednesday I'll be taking her out on her first club run. Some idiot at Dawes decided to put a 90mm stem on her and she's very "twitchy" as a result, especially when the panniers are loaded up, hoping to fix that soon. She gives a nice smooth ride despite the alloy frame and I love her
Attached Images
Dawes Vantage 15 copy.jpg (99.8 KB, 379 views)
Old 01-22-12, 10:00 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
Originally Posted by irishbill76
Some idiot at Dawes decided to put a 90mm stem on her and she's very "twitchy" as a result, especially when the panniers are loaded up, hoping to fix that soon.
a 90mm stem is by no means short and in no way should make the bike twitchy.
Old 01-23-12, 04:13 AM
irishbill76

Bikes: '11 Dawes Vantage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
a 90mm stem is by no means short and in no way should make the bike twitchy.
Oh I wouldn't be too sure about that. Short stumpy stems were embraced by mountain bikers long ago as they increased manouverability through twisty singletrack lanes and made the move myself in years passed. I can say for certain it made a definate improvement on that bike.
Fork rake and head angle also contribute to the problem, but other than buying a new frame or replacing the forks, both at considerable cost, a longer stem is the only other option open to me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.