Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

winter tour ideas

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

winter tour ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-12, 01:11 PM
mattntp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
winter tour ideas

I live in indisnapolis and am antsy to get out on a tour again. Any ideas of a place in the south or southeast that would be a good tour. Im looking for about 4-6 days 3-500 miles. Id prefer it to be no colder than 40F at night.
Old 12-07-12, 02:06 PM
mr geeker
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you could always do a bicycle tour of the grand canyon.

you could go to new-mexico and ride out to roswell, you could go to southern california and hang out at the beach while eating fish tacos... you could go to luisiana...

Last edited by mr geeker; 12-07-12 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-07-12, 02:18 PM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I live in SoCal and go to the desert alot during the winter,Death Valley,Anza Borrego,Edwards AF base.....It can get real cold at night,teens and twenties,sometimes colder.So,just because it's desert doesn't mean it's warm.

Otherwise,the desert is nice in the winter,you'll have some me time.
Old 12-07-12, 03:56 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Rim of GC gets Snow on it in the winter.. not much cycling at the bottom..
Old 12-07-12, 04:34 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 178 Posts
Here is where I've done winter tours before:
1. In San Diego, I did the Christmas ride four different times. Good route and ~400 mile loop.
2. I did my own ride in Texas. I rented a car one-way to drive to Brownsville. Over the ensuing week I cycled to Dallas.
3. I've done organized rides in Florida. The coasts are busy and hectic, but the interior is pretty reasonable and quieter spots.

I've done the Natchez Trace in late October, but suspect the nights particularly on northern bits will be just a bit colder than you look for above. If you got yourself to San Antonio, I could see putting together a loop around to Del Rio and back. Similarly, I'd look for cities you could cycle between in southern US (e.g. start from place like Atlanta, GA and go roughly your distance and you'll be in Jackson, MS). Alternately, look up an organized ride like BRAG and see what cities they stopped in and plan a route along some of the same places.
Old 12-07-12, 05:16 PM
mattntp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm currently looking into Mobile, Alabama to New Orleans and back. Am curious about AL, GA, SC. Any thoughts on those?
Old 12-07-12, 05:38 PM
12bar

Bikes: Specialized, Felt, Surly, Masi,Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am planning a ride from St. Augustine to Weeki Wachee springs.
Old 12-07-12, 11:02 PM
Newspaperguy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last winter, I flew to San Francisco with my bike. I rode north into the wine country around Santa Rosa and then south to San Diego, following US 101 and nearby side roads most of the way. It was pleasantly mild. Aside from one day with a headwind and one night and morning with rain, the conditions were ideal. The route took me two weeks, with time to spare.

This winter, I have another winter trip in the works, again in California, but most of it in a different part of the state.
Old 12-28-12, 10:04 AM
trailz 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Ha!
Just posted a similar thread... Louisiana seems like it has the warmest daily temps of the SEast states (save Florida).
Old 12-28-12, 11:13 AM
fietsbob
Banned

My friends, [Mgr of LBS & his GF] go to Panama and Costa Rica, this time of year..
Old 12-28-12, 12:27 PM
trailz 

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I believe the original poster (and myself) are planning on staying the in the continental U.S., in the southeast state. I've got very limited budget, and would prefer to drive (from here in Chicago). Still, one day I'd love to see Costa Rica.
Old 12-28-12, 12:31 PM
rdaraujo454

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, did you think about the Ft. Myers area in Florida. They have many bike paths and almost all of the roads have large sidewalks. Also, if you want to get in better shape I found this awesome website that will actually create a personalized cycling animation work to meet your desired goals. exercisestogo.com - Rick
Old 12-28-12, 01:46 PM
Western Flyer 

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Hawaii!
Old 12-28-12, 03:37 PM
k_randomfactor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattntp
I'm currently looking into Mobile, Alabama to New Orleans and back. Am curious about AL, GA, SC. Any thoughts on those?
It does actually get below freezing in the South ya know?

SC and North GA will, possibly, be cooler than you're looking for. South GA and AL will be warmer (usually) as you get closer to the Gulf. Not always warm, but warmer. I stopped for a couple hours shut eyeat a truck stop outside NOLA on a cross country drive a few years ago, and the temp was pushing 30F.

If you're looking for warm-ish weather in the southeast, south FL is where it's at during the winter. Again, not always warm (though it can be) but usually plenty comfortable. I spent Turkey Day with family outside Orlando two years ago. The day I left, I was walking around barefoot in shorts in FL that morning, and drove into 20F weather in the ATL that night. TN wasn't any better the next day.
Old 12-28-12, 03:43 PM
fietsbob
Banned

PNW folks seem to think HI is part of the region..
https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...ific-Northwest

though its on the latitude of Puerto Rico ..
Old 12-28-12, 03:52 PM
mattntp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I decided on a five day loop route from Greenville AL to Pensacola to gulf shores and back. found campgrounds along the way. planning on about 70 miles per day loaded, for a total of about 350. followed the route on Google and it seems pretty nice. just gotta fine tune the route now to include beer stops.
Old 12-28-12, 05:04 PM
Western Flyer 

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
PNW folks seem to think HI is part of the region..
https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...ific-Northwest

though its on the latitude of Puerto Rico ..
I would point out that Anchorage, Alaska is closer to Hawaii than Los Angeles, Southern California.

Aloha
Old 12-28-12, 05:16 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Western Flyer
I would point out that Anchorage, Alaska is closer to Hawaii than Los Angeles, Southern California.

Aloha
Not according to Google maps, HI->Anchorage = 2,770 miles; HI->LA = 2,550 miles.

Don't rely on appearance to judge distance on a Mercator projection of the Earth.

Last edited by seeker333; 12-28-12 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-28-12, 05:50 PM
Western Flyer 

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
Not according to Google maps, HI->Anchorage = 2,770 miles; HI->LA = 2,550 miles.

Don't rely on appearance to judge distance on a Mercator projection of the Earth.
Hum? An old 49th/50th state myth maybe broken. Anyhow I live in Portland and according to Google it is just about the same distance as LA. Besides there is only one airlines that flies direct to the island of Hawai'i where my wife's family lives from PDX and that is Alaska Air. And where would you rather take a winter ride, in smog filled overcast LA or Paradise? I just returned from two weeks in the later and it was very nice!

Last edited by Western Flyer; 12-28-12 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-29-12, 12:58 AM
Newspaperguy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rdaraujo454
Hey, did you think about the Ft. Myers area in Florida. They have many bike paths and almost all of the roads have large sidewalks. Also, if you want to get in better shape I found this awesome website that will actually create a personalized cycling animation work to meet your desired goals. exercisestogo.com - Rick
How's the cycling on the roads in Florida? From what I've heard in the past and from some comments I've seen on these forums more recently, cyclists are not all that well received there. Is this true or is it an exaggeration? I'd like to hear from those who live there or those who have experience touring there.
Old 12-29-12, 11:13 AM
tiretread

Bikes: Scott G-Zero FX, Surly Long Haul Truker, Specialized and Fuji Professional

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Dad is retired in North Fort Myers and I've considered riding there several times. Traffic isn't too bad and main roads have huge shoulders on them. Of course, there are tons of "florida" drivers so you roll the dice anytime you get on the road with them. Near the beach areas there are great cycling trails and traffic is lighter.