Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Need help picking out a new fork, so stressed!

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 09-07-15, 06:00 PM
exacto25

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey yall, I have a 2004 trek 7200 hybrid that i used to ride everyday/commute/tour on, for thousands and thousands of miles... until the stock fork blew up on me. I did some searching and they dont make the fork that came stock on the bike anymore ( RST CT Com 1 C4). So I figured I would easily find a new Rigid fork to replace it......no luck and I've been searching for hours.

So far I think it is a 1 1/8 steerer, 700c, and threaded.... I dont want to spend a lot on this fork because if it's too much, id rather just buy a new(used) bike...

PLEASE HELP, I just want to ride again.
Old 09-07-15, 07:50 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Have you asked your bike shop for assistance in finding a suitable replacement fork?

Of course, if you really can't find one with their help, you're better off buying a new bike.
Old 09-07-15, 08:32 PM
exacto25

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
Have you asked your bike shop for assistance in finding a suitable replacement fork?

Of course, if you really can't find one with their help, you're better off buying a new bike.
I did, went down to my local bike shop today and they said they would look it up and see if they could find one....they haven't called back...

wondering if someone on here has the same or similar bike!
Old 09-07-15, 09:43 PM
Triaxtremec

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport, Kona Kahuna 29er, Santa Cruz Nickel 650b, Cannondale CAAD 10

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
something like this may work just fine,
https://www.amazon.com/SR-Suntour-NRX...ords=700c+fork

or
Amazon.com : Fuji 700c Steel Fork Canti 1-1/8" Threaded 6.5" Steer Tube Blue : Sports & Outdoors
Old 09-07-15, 09:51 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by exacto25
Hey yall, I have a 2004 trek 7200 hybrid that i used to ride everyday/commute/tour on, for thousands and thousands of miles... until the stock fork blew up on me. I did some searching and they dont make the fork that came stock on the bike anymore ( RST CT Com 1 C4). So I figured I would easily find a new Rigid fork to replace it......no luck and I've been searching for hours.

So far I think it is a 1 1/8 steerer, 700c, and threaded.... I dont want to spend a lot on this fork because if it's too much, id rather just buy a new(used) bike...

PLEASE HELP, I just want to ride again.
According to BikePedia, you have a Headset1 1/8" threadless Aheadset arrangement on your bike, so you should have plenty of choices in finding a replacement fork.
Old 09-07-15, 10:43 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Looking at the bike on Trek's archives, it appears that you are correct on the 1-1/8" threaded steerer tube type. Doing a quick search online, I cannot find an inexpensive rigid fork, but there is a cheap SR Suntour springer fork similar to the original equipment available:
https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=71584&category=633
Old 09-07-15, 11:47 PM
exacto25

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The first one is threadless so that wont work, but the second one i was actually looking at. The only thing im worried about is that there is no race on the bottom? would i have to buy a new race too?

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
According to BikePedia, you have a Headset1 1/8" threadless Aheadset arrangement on your bike, so you should have plenty of choices in finding a replacement fork.
negative, 100% positive it is threaded, 1 1/8, 700c fork.

Originally Posted by SalsaShark
Looking at the bike on Trek's archives, it appears that you are correct on the 1-1/8" threaded steerer tube type. Doing a quick search online, I cannot find an inexpensive rigid fork, but there is a cheap SR Suntour springer fork similar to the original equipment available:
https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=71584&category=633
yup, I think this might be the ticket. But same with the other fork that triaxtemec posted, it looks like there is no bottom race? what gives?
Old 09-08-15, 07:39 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I think Surly makes one, solid steel tube.
Old 09-08-15, 07:52 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
What does your fork measure from axle to crown? There are a number of replacements out there. Suspension corrected, non suspended. Measure from the center of the axle, to the top of the crown (where the steer tube starts) Also measure the steer tube length.
Old 09-08-15, 08:43 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Threaded forks can be a pain to replace. You may have to order a longer steerer and cut the threads.

The lower race is part of the headset, not the fork

If your headset is old or worn, consider upgrading to a threadless setup

Very few people have the tools at home for fork and headset installation. If a shop is doing all the work, buy a fork from them
Old 09-08-15, 08:57 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
The suspension forks that come on most hybrids are garbage. You will be better off with a rigid fork.

I am a little surprised to see a threaded fork on a 2004 bike - that would have been considered to be a little outdated by then. However, your best and easiest route will probably be to get a threadless fork, new headset and new stem. I took a quick look and also could not find a threaded 1-1/8" fork.

A basic fork should cost between $60 and $100, a headset about $20, and a stem about $20, plus probably $25 or so for the shop to install it.
Old 09-08-15, 12:21 PM
exacto25

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
What does your fork measure from axle to crown? There are a number of replacements out there. Suspension corrected, non suspended. Measure from the center of the axle, to the top of the crown (where the steer tube starts) Also measure the steer tube length.
axle to crown is 457mm, steer tube length is 163mm, and the threads are 35mm.

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
The suspension forks that come on most hybrids are garbage. You will be better off with a rigid fork.

I am a little surprised to see a threaded fork on a 2004 bike - that would have been considered to be a little outdated by then. However, your best and easiest route will probably be to get a threadless fork, new headset and new stem. I took a quick look and also could not find a threaded 1-1/8" fork.

A basic fork should cost between $60 and $100, a headset about $20, and a stem about $20, plus probably $25 or so for the shop to install it.
yup thats what the bike shop said to me...haha.
Old 09-08-15, 07:39 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
The first one is threadless so that wont work, but the second one i was actually looking at. The only thing im worried about is that there is no race on the bottom? would i have to buy a new race too?

negative, 100% positive it is threaded, 1 1/8, 700c fork.

yup, I think this might be the ticket. But same with the other fork that triaxtemec posted, it looks like there is no bottom race? what gives?
You will have to remove and re-use the original bottom race to complete the headset...it can be done fairly easily with normal hand tools if you're careful.
Old 09-08-15, 07:49 PM
Sunset_Va

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did, went down to my local bike shop today and they said they would look it up and see if they could find one....they haven't called back...

wondering if someone on here has the same or similar bike!
Famous last words from most bike shops..."We will call"...I wanted a Fuji Absolute 1.5 Disc, and a chain bike store promised they would find out if they could order one from the factory and call me .

Instead , I am riding a Trek FX 7.2 Disc.

A trustworthy bike shop is worth patronage.
Old 09-08-15, 10:32 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
These schwinn forks might work. They are a little taller than yours. but have quite long threads so they should be fine.

Schwinn GS 700c Bike Fork 1 1/8 inch Threaded Gold for Hybrid Cross Bicycle
Schwinn GS 700c Bike Fork 1 1 8 inch Threaded Gold for Hybrid Cross Bicycle | eBay

There are also a few suspension forks on E-Bay worth considering.

The above forks don't include the crown race. Hopefully the crown race from your old fork can be swapped over. Otherwise, sometimes the crown races can be swapped, or you may need a new headset.

==========

Converting to threadless, and you have a lot of options including carbon fiber. But, you'll also need a new headset and stem.