Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Out with the old.... in with the new! Goodbye Sirrus! Hello Salsa Vaya!

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Out with the old.... in with the new! Goodbye Sirrus! Hello Salsa Vaya!

Old 08-22-15, 09:26 PM
Monstermash
Theflatbarguy!

Bikes: Custom Giant Anyroad Flatbar, Custom Raw Steel Raleigh XXIX SS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=NormanF;18100913]
Originally Posted by Monstermash

I have more of an adventure bike like your Vaya. All I can say is the N'Lightened alloy tubing used on my Schwinn Super Sport DBX feels fantastic. It compares favorably to my cromoly steel 29er. That said, I understand not every one may react the same way to alloy. Its a matter of personal preference and people should ride a bike that feels comfortable to them.

Agreed. I have had a few alloy bikes and maybe it's just because the Vaya is new to me but it is the best bike I've ever ridden. None of the alloy bikes I've owned have even come close.
Old 08-23-15, 05:26 PM
funbikerchick

Bikes: Liv Avail Advanced Pro

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Very nice looking bike. I don't know enough about bicycle components to speak technically but if it does what you want, I don't think anything else really matters.
Old 09-03-15, 07:05 PM
Monstermash
Theflatbarguy!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I would everyone's opinion on something. I just scored a great deal on a set of Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 wheels. They are black, blue, and silver as shown in the photos below. My question is, should I use them on this bike or save them for another project down the road. I really like the Crossmax wheels that are currently on the bike but the Crank Brothers in this blue seems like it would look great on it. I also have the option of painting the silver on the wheels so they are just black and blue.

What say you?

Here is a another pic of the bike so you don't have to go back to the first page to see it....

And here are the wheels...

Old 09-03-15, 07:23 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
So I would everyone's opinion on something. I just scored a great deal on a set of Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 wheels. They are black, blue, and silver as shown in the photos below. My question is, should I use them on this bike or save them for another project down the road. I really like the Crossmax wheels that are currently on the bike but the Crank Brothers in this blue seems like it would look great on it. I also have the option of painting the silver on the wheels so they are just black and blue.

What say you?

Here is a another pic of the bike so you don't have to go back to the first page to see it....

And here are the wheels...

i like the bike as-as. The new wheels are sweet!
Old 09-03-15, 09:24 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts

What say you?
I think you are going to have to put the crank brother wheels on the Vaya, in order for us to see what it looks like, then offer informed feedback.
Old 09-06-15, 04:37 AM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
That's a great looking bike... how do you like the fit on the Vaya? I thought about one for a flat bar bike, but the reach is very short, especially compared to a Sirrus.

For example, in my XL size, the Vaya's reach is 385mm vs. 418mm for the Sirrus.
Old 09-06-15, 07:51 AM
Chloe92us

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my first post- put the new wheels on. The blue will pick up on the font and will look amazing. The yellow/red accents on the current wheels detract from the bike, IMHO. The bike is dreamy regardless.
Old 09-11-15, 12:02 AM
Monstermash
Theflatbarguy!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seat_boy
That's a great looking bike... how do you like the fit on the Vaya? I thought about one for a flat bar bike, but the reach is very short, especially compared to a Sirrus.

For example, in my XL size, the Vaya's reach is 385mm vs. 418mm for the Sirrus.
Thank you.

I went up a size on the Vaya. Normally I would ride a 56cm road bike. My 2014 Carbon Sirrus (built on the Roubaix frame) was a large/56cm and it fit me well. For the Vaya I went with the 58cm and it fits great.

Originally Posted by Chloe92us
This is my first post- put the new wheels on. The blue will pick up on the font and will look amazing. The yellow/red accents on the current wheels detract from the bike, IMHO. The bike is dreamy regardless.
Welcome, and thank you!

I'm thinking I have to use the new wheels on the Vaya. I just bought an El Mariachi Titanium frame and I want to use the Mavic Crossmax wheelset for that build. Plus, I agree with you regarding the blue on the wheels. I also think it will bring out the darker blue Salsa logo on the frame. Although, this is just going from the photos I have of the wheels. I'm not exactly sure how dark or light the blue will be because they haven't arrived yet. According the tracking info, they will be here on Monday. I really hate UPS. It's going to take over a week for them to get here from CO. Seriously? Did they strap the box to the back of a donkey? Lol!
Old 09-11-15, 06:54 AM
FamilyMan007

Bikes: Dream Ti bike to celebrate turning 70 - frame by Seven; Cannondale Synapse carbon Ultegra 3 (2015 model), Cannondale Quick SL-1 (2012 model- donated to a friend); Bianchi touring bike (1985 - Sold); Raleigh Super Course (1975 - donated to friend)

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Great looking bike - enjoy

Monstermash

What say you?

Thought re wheels - does it have to be one or other - use both! Mount a different tire from the current wheels to facilitate changing tire to meet particulars of the specific ride you envisage that day ?
Old 09-11-15, 11:20 AM
Monstermash
Theflatbarguy!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FamilyMan007
Great looking bike - enjoy

Thought re wheels - does it have to be one or other?
Yeah, it kinda does. There's about $2k in wheels between the two sets and that's a lot of money to have tied up just to facilitate a tire change. Lol!

Plus I need to use one of the sets on my new Salsa El Mariachi Ti. Considering there isn't any blue at all on the El Mar I think I'll use the Mavic's on that bike and the Crank Brothers on the Vaya providing the color isn't too far off.
Old 09-11-15, 03:56 PM
Monstermash
Theflatbarguy!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a few photos of the El-Mar Titanium. I know it's not a hybrid but it does fit into the conversation in this thread because of the wheels. You can see why I want to use the Mavic wheelset on this bike and the Crank Brothers on the Vaya. I'm not going to use the tires that are on it. I think some Clement LXV's will do the trick!

It originally came with a white Niner carbon fork that I wasn't too crazy about so I removed the white paint, wet sanded it down to 1200 grit, and then polished it.

Last edited by Monstermash; 09-13-15 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-14-15, 04:44 PM
Monstermash
Theflatbarguy!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, so the new wheelset came in. I think I like it.....

I thought the blue was a bit off until I noticed the anodizing on the seatpost clamp is almost exactly the same color as the spokes on the Crank Brothers wheels. Now I'm going to have to go buy the blue Salsa skewers.

Last edited by Monstermash; 09-14-15 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-14-15, 09:56 PM
Sonmi451

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That looks pretty sweet. If you want to get rid of your old wheels I'm here for you!
Old 09-14-15, 10:19 PM
Monstermash
Theflatbarguy!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonmi451
That looks pretty sweet. If you want to get rid of your old wheels I'm here for you!
What old wheels?
Old 09-15-15, 01:25 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Ok, so the new wheelset came in. I think I like it.....

I thought the blue was a bit off until I noticed the anodizing on the seatpost clamp is almost exactly the same color as the spokes on the Crank Brothers wheels. Now I'm going to have to go buy the blue Salsa skewers.

That is a great match actually.

You have one hell of a head turning, eye catching bike now with those wheels.

People will be asking you about your bike all the time in the streets.
Old 09-15-15, 03:00 AM
Lt Stonez

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon Disc '14

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hhhmmm well i liked it better with the black wheels, but thats only me.
Old 09-15-15, 04:28 PM
Monstermash
Theflatbarguy!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lt Stonez
Hhhmmm well i liked it better with the black wheels, but thats only me.
I'm on the fence. While I really liked the black Mavic wheels the Blue is starting to grow on me.

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
That is a great match actually.

You have one hell of a head turning, eye catching bike now with those wheels.

People will be asking you about your bike all the time in the streets.
Thanks Colonel!
Old 09-15-15, 04:56 PM
Sonmi451

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What old wheels?
Never mind I saw your other ride. Anyway I was finally able to get the Crossmax SL on a nice sale. Do I need UST tires? Or are you running regular tires with tubes?
Old 09-15-15, 05:05 PM
Monstermash
Theflatbarguy!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never mind I saw your other ride. Anyway I was finally able to get the Crossmax SL on a nice sale. Do I need UST tires? Or are you running regular tires with tubes?
I'm just running regular tires with tubes.

Have you given any thought to what tires your going to run?
Old 09-15-15, 05:07 PM
Sonmi451

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm just running regular tires with tubes.

Have you given any thought to what tires your going to run?
I was looking at getting Schwalbe Marathon Racer 35c (30c are out of stock) but Schwalbe said they are not compatible with UST wheels so I'm all confused now which is why I was asking.
Old 09-15-15, 05:14 PM
Monstermash
Theflatbarguy!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking at getting Schwalbe Marathon Racer 35c (30c are out of stock) but Schwalbe said they are not compatible with UST wheels so I'm all confused now which is why I was asking.
That's strange. Why would they not be compatible?

I'm using Schwalbe Kojaks in 35c and I like them a lot. I've been hammering on them without any issues. And by hammering I mean over gravel, off curbs, and over a lot of crushed sea shells for a few miles.

If you happen to speak with Schwalbe again ask them why they are not compatible and then ask them is the Kojaks are compatible. If they tell you the Kojaks are not compatible I would question whether or not the person you're speaking with has a clue.
Old 09-15-15, 05:32 PM
Sonmi451

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's strange. Why would they not be compatible?

I'm using Schwalbe Kojaks in 35c and I like them a lot. I've been hammering on them without any issues. And by hammering I mean over gravel, off curbs, and over a lot of crushed sea shells for a few miles.

If you happen to speak with Schwalbe again ask them why they are not compatible and then ask them is the Kojaks are compatible. If they tell you the Kojaks are not compatible I would question whether or not the person you're speaking with has a clue.
So apparently I just talked to the owner at Schwalbe. She was pretty insistent I need a UST tire claiming there are too many problems with tubes & blowouts and it would void the warranty. She said running a regular tubed tire may work, they just don't recommend it.
Old 09-15-15, 05:55 PM
Monstermash
Theflatbarguy!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So apparently I just talked to the owner at Schwalbe. She was pretty insistent I need a UST tire claiming there are too many problems with tubes & blowouts and it would void the warranty. She said running a regular tubed tire may work, they just don't recommend it.
It sounds like they are just covering their ass. I have had zero issues with my Schwalbe tires on UST rims.
Old 09-15-15, 05:59 PM
Sonmi451

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It sounds like they are just covering their ass. I have had zero issues with my Schwalbe tires on UST rims.
Yeah that's basically the jist I got from them. She was getting into liability and stuff so you know how that goes... Anyway, Mavic has the Yksion Elite Allroad that are UST so I'm trying to order a pair of those. They seem pretty good for what I am looking for and they are tubeless so we'll see how it goes.

Last edited by Sonmi451; 09-15-15 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-16-15, 06:07 PM
Monstermash
Theflatbarguy!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if you guys noticed when I posted the photos of the new wheelset on the bike I had added a new set of grip with bar ends. When I saw them at the store they looked like a good match to the paint on the Vaya but when I installed them I wasn't really pleased at the way they looked. I know they look ok in the photos but it must just be the lighting because they are much brighter,

I really liked the feel of the new grips as they are larger than the old one's I was using and the fill up my hands better so I decided to scrap the barends and find another solution. The solution ended up being using a set of oversized bar end caps from a set of Cannondale grips I had laying around. I removed all the anodizing so the Cannondale logo would be removed and then I painted them gloss black. I then took a UD carbon spacer (like the ones on my steering tube) and glued one onto each of the end caps. When I put it all together it looks pretty cool and with the matching UD carbon I kinda dig it.

What do you guys think?

Before....

After...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.