Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Just hanging out shooting the bull

Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Just hanging out shooting the bull

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-18, 04:44 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
@gsteinb, Ex told me about YOUR (truly unfortunate) crash, too. I think there were three of his athletes who went down hard in the course of that week? No, that wasn't a stupid attempt to make it somehow feel better, it just plain sucks, and I know nothing I say or anyone else says is going to take the sting out of it. Small bone hurting so much, indeed. Ribs are pretty small too, and by god, they can sure hurt. I'm sorry it happened, and I'm sorry everything you've been working for thus far this season has been derailed. Here's to healing quickly - and here's to YOU, one of those premier athletes who I have always looked up, who took the time way back when to encourage me to keep going. I owe you.
Old 04-21-18, 05:03 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Thanks but ribs are the worst. Hang in there and keep up the good work.
Old 04-22-18, 12:00 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
@gsteinb Congrats on the training and results. Heal up fast.

I agree with you completely on the roller work. When I started racing in 2007, I trained with the Russians who had a cycling gym. We had to show up twice per week to ride the rollers and do their Russian torture circuit of ten sets of ten.

Since I moved to San Diego, it is harder to do sustained efforts due to lack of venue. Fiesta Island is okay but is not as good as the roller work.

I may get the inside rollers.
Old 04-22-18, 03:57 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I'm waiting for a fork mount to show up.

in all my post crash confusion I forgot they made this.

Inside Ride has an e-motions version with electronic resistance (wireless remote) and one that connects with zwift if that's one's thing.

Like you I'm not sure how I'd do someone of my workouts outdoors. Unless they were like 4 hour rides. For me one part needs a certain road, which is 90 minutes from the road I need for a different part. And the parts are best done back to back.

Last edited by gsteinb; 04-22-18 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-23-18, 07:48 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
On the bright side, people are healing and seeing the faint glimpse of light.

While the format here may seem somewhat out dated, the people and interactions aren't.
Old 04-23-18, 08:29 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
I'm so outdated my ties have come back into style at least twice.

Back on the FG for an hour or so as wind conditions permit and easing out for endurance rides when it's not red flag warnings.
It's Fiesta in SoCen TX and the wildflowers are blooming.

-Bandera
Old 04-24-18, 08:53 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Going up to Hellyer to ride for the first time in a month. It's three weeks to the day today since the mishap. @gsteinb, I've heard ribs are the worst, this definitely has been a challenge. When I started to get better, though, I improved quickly. I still feel those ribs, but they don't hurt. It's time to get back to fitness....
@Bandera, I've said the same thing about my shoes!
Old 04-24-18, 02:40 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by sarals
@gsteinb, I've heard ribs are the worst, this definitely has been a challenge. When I started to get better, though, I improved quickly. I still feel those ribs, but they don't hurt. It's time to get back to fitness....
I've broken all of them, numerous times. Ain't no good. I got stories. Glad you're feeling better.

I can't wait to look like I need a food handout again. Tired of being bloated.
Old 04-25-18, 07:28 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by gsteinb
I've broken all of them, numerous times. Ain't no good. I got stories. Glad you're feeling better.

I can't wait to look like I need a food handout again. Tired of being bloated.
@gsteinb, thanks. I hope YOU'RE feeling better!
Old 04-27-18, 06:41 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
I'm so outdated my ties have come back into style at least twice.

Back on the FG for an hour or so as wind conditions permit and easing out for endurance rides when it's not red flag warnings.
It's Fiesta in SoCen TX and the wildflowers are blooming.

-Bandera
And Cedar Fever is having it's way with the allergy sufferers
Old 05-09-18, 02:29 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Disheartening, honestly. Not sure I can pull of the hills climb I planned on this weekend, and I'm out for proper mass start stuff until my next follow up on 6/6 (unless I feel great and buck doctor’s orders). Fracture isn’t fully healed yet. Falling on it would be bad. Hurts to bend it so going to OT. It also hurts to put pressure on the part of your hand that holds the hoods. So not sure how well I can go uphill. So some testing later or tomorrow to check Saturday’s prospects. As far as weights go, I can’t curl the thumb under pressure. yoga is a no go.

Black cloud. My normally positive outlook on this stuff isn’t rising to meet the challenge. Anyway you slice it I’m losing a significant portion of the season. Considering the form I had that sucks. Contador came back from a broken leg? Quicker as I recall.
Old 05-10-18, 07:48 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

@gsteinb, you're a little older than Contador, so don't get yourself down. I know how you feel. It's been all I can do to toe the line with my injury.

I am going racing this weekend, though, I'm doing a LAVRA TT and LAVRA sprints. The issue is standing starts for me. "Weightlifting" puts a lot of pressure on my ribcage and it complains, enough to where I'm only about 85% power. I'm down about 60 watts, for me, that's significant. However, I'm going to give it go. I can't hurt myself, unless I crash on those ribs, and that's not likely in the events I'm going to race.
Old 05-11-18, 05:08 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Just got the news that my application for LOTOJA (done via lottery) was approved.

<geezer happy dance emoji>

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-11-18, 08:10 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by revchuck
Just got the news that my application for LOTOJA (done via lottery) was approved.

Right on, @revchuck!!
Old 05-11-18, 09:27 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts

Sweet. When is it? Are you doing it solo?
Old 05-12-18, 03:37 AM
revchuck 
OMC

It's September 8. I'm doing it solo - the logistics involved wouldn't be worth it to me to do it as part of a relay team, and the challenge of doing 206 miles in a day at altitude is the whole reason for doing it.

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-12-18, 06:48 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
It's September 8. I'm doing it solo - the logistics involved wouldn't be worth it to me to do it as part of a relay team, and the challenge of doing 206 miles in a day at altitude is the whole reason for doing it.
Are there age groups such that you could have a goal of winning or too 10 or whatever it is that would be a good goal for you?
Old 05-12-18, 10:17 AM
revchuck 
OMC

There are age groups, I’m in the oldest (65+). My goal is to finish before sundown, that’s about 13 hours of riding for 206 miles and 8700 ft. of climbing. The first half has all the climbing and I can do that part right now, it’s going to take some training to follow that up with another 100 miles at a decent pace.
Old 05-19-18, 05:02 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

So it seems I can cobble together a twenty-something race season doing just hill climbs and time trials. Stay tuned.
Old 05-19-18, 07:14 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Thumbs up

So it seems I can cobble together a twenty-something race season doing just hill climbs and time trials. Stay tuned.
Excellent!!
Old 05-21-18, 02:44 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by sarals
Excellent!!
This might seem dumb....but in talking to my wife, and in particular my son, I was surprised to hear to level of relief and how much stress this stuff causes them (with her it's a bit more 'duh').

I guess after 3 surgeries, brain trauma, and each rib broken (some more than once) they're ready for a more crash resistant discipline.
Old 05-21-18, 02:51 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

This might seem dumb....but in talking to my wife, and in particular my son, I was surprised to hear to level of relief and how much stress this stuff causes them (with her it's a bit more 'duh').

I guess after 3 surgeries, brain trauma, and each rib broken (some more than once) they're ready for a more crash resistant discipline.
It doesn't seem the least bit dumb to me. To back you up, I was a bit taken aback by how upset my family, my dad and sister in particular, were about my last crash. My dad and sister were both adamant that I quit racing. It is those who care about us who we sometimes take for granted.
Old 05-24-18, 12:20 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
gsteinb, I went the TT route for several reasons, safety being one, and have been having a lot of fun with it.

An n=1 observation, fit has evolved at a pretty rapid pace initially. I'm glad that for starters I went with an inexpensive frame (Slice 105) that didn't use proprietary parts and a very adjustable bar setup (3T Vola).
Old 05-24-18, 01:04 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
I can relate.
After once again getting the call to come collect me at the emergency room my significant other gave me a detailed and explicit synopsis of what the "cost" to her was of my somewhat cavalier attitude to racing shunts.
I could be stoic about my injuries but not about her distress and concern(s).
The resolution: I can no longer say "Mountain Bike" without also saying "Emergency Room" and retired from NORBA racing.
Hasn't hurt either of us any since.

As always, suit yourself.

-Bandera
Old 05-24-18, 03:36 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Yeah, a bit of irony. When we moved three years ago it was to here

We live on that lake that's sorta in the middle. Meaning I can ride out my garage, head into the woods, and disappear. This park links to other parks, which link to others. Endless riding. But trees and rocks are hard too. In those three years I've ridden in the woods maybe 5 or 6 times. One of the first autumns I went for a ride, did a low speed over the bars when the wheel jammed in a rock garden and broke 4 ribs. For that reason and others, I just don't enjoy it as much. What I really like doing is a workout where I know the difference between 3xx watts and 3xx +1 watts. So TTs seems to fit the bill.

Did make a (low) offer on a TM01 today and had it accepted. Was surprised, and pleased.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.