Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Seatpost Clamp

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-18, 06:39 PM
jaws7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seatpost Clamp

How long should a seatpost clamp last? I over tightened my original clamp and stripped the aluminum threads, so I bought a Thomson clamp to replace it. From the reviews I had read, it seemed to be a good product. It fit fine and tightened up nicely, but then a couple of months ago I noticed a crack in the clamp itself. I purchased it just under five years ago, but over this time I only rode the bike 284 times before I noticed the crack. Unfortunately for me, the warranty was only three years. For the price I paid, I hoped it would have lasted a lot longer. I thought that once it is tightened, it should just sit there pretty much forever. It shouldn't fatigue like a spoke, so why would it crack? What kind of life do other riders get from their seatpost clamps?
Old 10-22-18, 08:16 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
How long should a seatpost clamp last? I over tightened my original clamp and stripped the aluminum threads, so I bought a Thomson clamp to replace it. From the reviews I had read, it seemed to be a good product. It fit fine and tightened up nicely, but then a couple of months ago I noticed a crack in the clamp itself. I purchased it just under five years ago, but over this time I only rode the bike 284 times before I noticed the crack. Unfortunately for me, the warranty was only three years. For the price I paid, I hoped it would have lasted a lot longer. I thought that once it is tightened, it should just sit there pretty much forever. It shouldn't fatigue like a spoke, so why would it crack? What kind of life do other riders get from their seatpost clamps?
And during that time, did you loosen/tighten it a bunch of times for height adjustments, seat changes, maintenance in a stand, etc?
Cause that’s all i can think of that would do that, and anyway, I agree with you, I’m surprised a quality clamp would do that.

I’ve never had a post clamp that cost, like, anything at all, and although I’ve had one or two crack on dozens of bikes over the years I just figured they were old and abused so yeah, they eventually fail. But usually I’ve had an issue with the bolt, not the body of the clamp.
Old 10-22-18, 08:20 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Send a pic to Thomson, see what they say. I think a seatpost clamp, other than any internal threading for the bolt, should pretty much last forever.
Old 10-22-18, 09:02 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I sheared off a couple of 5mm machine screws when I adjusted the height. I'm using a stainless steel hose clamp right now. However, if I'd had the torque wrench with me to properly tighten the seat post collar clamp, that wouldn't have happened.
Old 10-22-18, 09:02 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Yeah, and for 20-30 bucks, I'd think that they'd replace it. Be sure to get back to the forum to let us know how their warranty and customer service was.
Old 10-23-18, 05:24 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
People swear by or at Thompson from what I've read. There've seemingly been a good amount of stories about their stems cracking as well.
Old 10-23-18, 06:06 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Is it possible that this was over tightened?

Was it torqued or tightened by hand?

-Tim-
Old 10-23-18, 09:28 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Some have wisely added a steel barrel nut, and so it,
1) has steel threading into steel..

& 2) the round nut barrel shape self aligns to the bolt, as the clamp is tightened ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-23-18 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-23-18, 09:38 AM
fietsbob
Banned

I have yet to strip this one

Old 10-23-18, 11:10 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Stop hamfisting it when you tighten the clamp. Use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/CDI-Torque-TL...ue+key+bicycle
Old 10-23-18, 11:27 AM
5teve

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Some have wisely added a steel barrel nut, and so it,
1) has steel threading into steel..

& 2) the round nut barrel shape self aligns to the bolt, as the clamp is tightened ..

This design is a pretty safe bet. I've used Salsa clamps of this style for years and had trouble-free function and zero failures.
Old 10-23-18, 01:33 PM
Pendergast

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's hard for me to tell in the photo, but is the Thomson clamp all the way down on the seat tube? Tightening it if it wasn't completely in place might have caused it to crack.
Old 10-23-18, 02:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

may not be seen from above , but as described , they (seller) say:
  • Utilizes the Thomson Seatpost bolt, washer, and barrel nut combination that has proven strong over the years
looks like slot off center, for carbon posts..

Old 10-23-18, 03:05 PM
Pendergast

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I sheared off a couple of 5mm machine screws when I adjusted the height. I'm using a stainless steel hose clamp right now. However, if I'd had the torque wrench with me to properly tighten the seat post collar clamp, that wouldn't have happened.
i've never even thought about torque numbers for seatpost clamps. I'd probably be paying more attention to that if carbon was involved. A couple of mine are marked 5 Nm, but most of mine aren't marked. I've never damaged one. I do use a torque key for some things.

The Thomson website says the recommended torque for their collar is 2.8 Nm. I wonder if that's lower than most.

Last edited by Pendergast; 10-23-18 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-23-18, 05:14 PM
jaws7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Thomson clamp has a shoulder machined into it so it sits on the top of the seat tube. I purchased and used a torque wrench when I installed this clamp, so it wasn't over-tightened. I probably adjusted the (aluminum) seatpost 3 or 4 times since I originally installed the clamp. I mailed the cracked clamp back to Thomson a few months ago along with a letter telling when I purchased it, and the number of rides it was on. I told them knew it was out of warranty and I suggested that they examine the clamp to find out why it failed. I thought maybe they would have contacted me to explain why it failed, or even replaced it under a good will gesture, but I never heard from them. So much for (good) customer service. I guess I've purchased my last Thomson product.
Old 10-23-18, 05:38 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by jaws7
The Thomson clamp has a shoulder machined into it so it sits on the top of the seat tube. I purchased and used a torque wrench when I installed this clamp, so it wasn't over-tightened. I probably adjusted the (aluminum) seatpost 3 or 4 times since I originally installed the clamp. I mailed the cracked clamp back to Thomson a few months ago along with a letter telling when I purchased it, and the number of rides it was on. I told them knew it was out of warranty and I suggested that they examine the clamp to find out why it failed. I thought maybe they would have contacted me to explain why it failed, or even replaced it under a good will gesture, but I never heard from them. So much for (good) customer service. I guess I've purchased my last Thomson product.
Could you provide some info about your frame / is it aluminum or titanium? What is the seatpost diameter? Is the bore fore the seatpost clean (or sloppy fit)? What brand of seatpost are you using?
Old 10-23-18, 05:53 PM
jaws7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a titanium frame (lynskey) with a FSA SL-280 seatpost. The clamp size is 31.8, and the seatpost measures 27.1mm. There is a collar inside the seat tube with serrations to grip the seatpost. It is a snug fit, and the seatpost never slipped. I also have over 3" of extra seatpost length before I get to the minimum insertion depth so there is no rocking motion.
Old 10-23-18, 06:31 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Pendergast

i've never even thought about torque numbers for seatpost clamps. I'd probably be paying more attention to that if carbon was involved. A couple of mine are marked 5 Nm, but most of mine aren't marked. I've never damaged one. I do use a torque key for some things.

The Thomson website says the recommended torque for their collar is 2.8 Nm. I wonder if that's lower than most.
My Jamis has a carbon frame and seatpost, the collar reads 5nm. I used a 2.5 or 3 inch Allen wrench, a thumb and middle finger. The screw sheared in two before turning it got remotely difficult. Twice. Guess I'm lucky the seatpost didn't crush. My lbs guy gave me a torque wrench, but I'm leaving the hose clamp on there for now.
Old 10-24-18, 10:36 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by jaws7
It's a titanium frame (lynskey) with a FSA SL-280 seatpost. The clamp size is 31.8, and the seatpost measures 27.1mm. There is a collar inside the seat tube with serrations to grip the seatpost. It is a snug fit, and the seatpost never slipped. I also have over 3" of extra seatpost length before I get to the minimum insertion depth so there is no rocking motion.
I’m starting to wonder if sleeved frames might sometimes require more tightenbig torque on the seat collar in order to eliminate creaking and/or saddle movement side to side (or dropping down).

i have a sleeved titanium frame with a Ritchey carbon post and I’m having all kinds of issues with creaking and movement. I have a pretty Hope seat collar with a fine thread aluminum bolt & just last night snapped the bolt while attempting to stop the creaking noise. I’ve now broken 2 bolts in a row.
The depth of the collar increases clamping force, I would think. The Thomson one looks a little shallow...
There are 2 bolt ones from China that actually look pretty nice - Fourier brand?

Old 10-24-18, 11:36 AM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
I've never broken a clamp like that, nor have I heard of any of my friends breaking one. I have stripped out the threads.
Currently using a Miche clamp with no issues (carbon frame, alloy seatpost, installed with torque wrench: 5nm).
Sorry about the giant picture.