Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Winston Salem

Old 10-06-18, 02:24 PM
Jmw236

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winston Salem

Hi there
I’m looking at moving to the Winston Salem area. We visited there last week and only saw two cyclists the whole time we were there.
I remember visiting there years ago for the classic race and assumed that it was a big cycling town.
Is there anyone on the group that can give me the lay of the land in terms of biking popularity, group rides, clubs etc.
thanks very much
john
Old 01-11-19, 05:15 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
Yikes, just popped into this thread and saw the time stamp. Hope you made it to W/S. I lived in Greensboro, thriving bike culture and shops. We always came over to Salem Lake to ride that trail. It’s the best WS has to offer!
Old 02-16-19, 08:06 PM
Trinity Pratt

Bikes: 2014 Wilier Zero.9, 2010 Orbea Aqua, 2007 Ross mtb, 1972 Sekine GS, 1971 Motobecane Grand Record, 1953 Parkes Magpie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah boy, here I am at ground zero and just now notice this. Jmw, don't know if you're still looking here, but there's a decent amount of cycling activity, I guess, I don't really have anything to compare to. We do have the annual Winston-Salem Cycling Classic in May, a weekend of pro and amateur events all over town ("one of only two UCI category 1.1 road races in the United States, as well as USA Cycling Pro Road Tour (PRT) / USA Crit Series Criterium races for men and women"). They've been working hard to push W-S as a cycling mecca for a number of years. There's a lot of good riding country in the area, and there are a bunch of regular group rides. Myself, pretty much I have a couple 20ish-mile loops around town that are my bread and butter - I put most of my training energy into running, so can't say a whole lot. One thing I like to do every so often is ride from my house in town out to the top of Pilot Mountain and back, makes a fairly exhausting (for me) metric century. Nice area, really, with lots of rolling country and three pop-up mountains not too far out of town. Search Mock Orange Bikes and Ken's Bike Shop.