Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2012/2013 Motobecane Track Crank Upgrades

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-19, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Hi All,

I have an older Motobecane Track that has done well for me over the last 6/7 years. It's a basic frame, but I sure do feel the sluggishness. I still have the basic wheels which have recently been serviced (greased the bearings) and they run decent. Have a pair of risers and some 700x28 Panaracer Gravel Kings on there.

I want to upgrade the cranks as I will be getting a new bottom bracket, but not sure which set I should go for. The bike is cheap, so definitely trying to stay away from a SRAM Omnium or Sugino 75. Does anyone have any experience with Sugino Messengers? Andal cranks? I'm also worried about throwing off the chain line kind of...

Would be cool to get 144BCD for around the $100 range. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Old 07-10-19, 11:32 PM
PeopleAreIdiots

Bikes: Disc Brake Wabi Special, GT Pulse, Fuji Track Beater

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
Sugino messenger is 130bcd (in case you didn't know). They can have chain line issues as well. That said, I've been riding them for 2 years and I like them just fine.

I've heard Andel cranks are pretty decent for the price.
Old 07-11-19, 10:10 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
If you want 144bcd and don't want to spend a lot, Andel is probably your best bet. They're a decent product. Chain line will be fine as long as you get the right bottom bracket (remember, BB matches with the cranks, not the frame when dealing with square taper).
Old 07-11-19, 10:13 AM

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PeopleAreIdiots
Sugino messenger is 130bcd (in case you didn't know). They can have chain line issues as well. That said, I've been riding them for 2 years and I like them just fine.

I've heard Andel cranks are pretty decent for the price.
Thanks for the info. What type of bike do you have?
Old 07-11-19, 10:25 AM
PeopleAreIdiots

Originally Posted by 996
Thanks for the info. What type of bike do you have?
I finally understand why parents whip out pictures of their babies whenever anyone mentions them . You asked for it.

The frame is a wabi special. Fork is from wound up.

Used to use the messenger cranks on my fuji track before I got the wabi. Even with the 103mm bottom bracket, my chain line was still a tad off using my current rear hub.

I'd go Andel if I where you, all things considered.
Old 07-11-19, 01:58 PM
wabi_damon
Steel is Real

Bikes: Wabi Lightning, Wabi Special, Wabi Thunder, Merckx Extra Corsa, Colnago Tecnos, Colnago Super, Cinelli Supercorsa, De Rosa Professional, De Rosa Replica 73, Serotta Colorado iii, Koga Miyata Full Pro, Panasonic RT-3500, Lynskey R320, Time VXRS

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Whoa. That's quite a setup with the Wabi frame. What's the front fork and brake setup?

Damon
Wabi Cycles
Old 07-11-19, 04:09 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by wabi_damon
Whoa. That's quite a setup with the Wabi frame. What's the front fork and brake setup?

Damon
Wabi Cycles
Looks like a Wound up fork to me, not sure about the brake setup.
Old 07-11-19, 04:35 PM
seau grateau

Pretty sure it's a disc brake. Could be wrong though, who knows
Old 07-11-19, 05:34 PM

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
So clean!
Old 07-12-19, 04:09 PM
PeopleAreIdiots

Originally Posted by wabi_damon

Damon
Wabi Cycles
Thanks Damon!

Wound up gravel x fork, Hayes CX Expert caliper and rotor, velo orange front hub, Cane Creek SCR-5 and Tektro levers.
Old 07-12-19, 10:33 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 996
Hi All,

I have an older Motobecane Track that has done well for me over the last 6/7 years. It's a basic frame, but I sure do feel the sluggishness. I still have the basic wheels which have recently been serviced (greased the bearings) and they run decent. Have a pair of risers and some 700x28 Panaracer Gravel Kings on there.

I want to upgrade the cranks as I will be getting a new bottom bracket, but not sure which set I should go for. The bike is cheap, so definitely trying to stay away from a SRAM Omnium or Sugino 75. Does anyone have any experience with Sugino Messengers? Andal cranks? I'm also worried about throwing off the chain line kind of...

Would be cool to get 144BCD for around the $100 range. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
I've been using Andel's for like 7 years good cranks, the 110mm Andel BB is only like 20 bucks too or you could get the Shimano UN55 also 20 bucks and comes with a 110mm spindle. And of course there's nicer BB's out there, but if you don't need anything fancy they'll work.
Old 07-13-19, 05:27 PM

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Philasteve
I've been using Andel's for like 7 years good cranks, the 110mm Andel BB is only like 20 bucks too or you could get the Shimano UN55 also 20 bucks and comes with a 110mm spindle. And of course there's nicer BB's out there, but if you don't need anything fancy they'll work.
Thanks for the response! Have a question for you: My bike's bottom bracket is a CH-52 111L (I think this means 111mm spindle) BC 1.37x24T (photo attached). The specs of the bike from bikesdirect.com said the following: "CH52, Sealed Cartridge 103mm, square taper."

Could bikesdirect.com be incorrect in this case?

I measured the chainline from the teeth of the crank to the center of the seat tube and it was roughly 45MM. So in theory... if I were to purchase Sugino Messengers or Andels, how can I match up a 45mm chainline? Sugino's website shows 45mm chainline for the messenger with the 103MM spindle bottom bracket? I think that's what they mean - that you can achieve a 45mm chainline with their 103MM bottom bracket.

https://www.suginoltd.co.jp/us/produ...messenger.html

Thanks again and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-13-19, 10:26 PM
seau grateau

Looks like yours is a 111mm spindle. Definitely possible that BD listed the wrong specs, as they don't really make or assemble the bikes. Or it could be an iteration with different specs from what BD currently sells. Anyway, whichever crankset you buy should have a manufacturer's or seller's recommendation for compatible BB. I'd go with that.
Old 07-13-19, 11:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
If you get new cranks I would certainly upgrade that bottom bracket. Plastic cups on a bottom bracket are a complete no-go for me in any situation and you can get a UN-55 from Shimano pretty cheaply or use the Sugino CB-103 or whatever it is called or if you want to be a bit more spend SKF or IRD Defiant QB-95 are good choices. I generally haven't ever worried about chainline. Everything I have run is relatively quiet and smooth to extremely quiet and even smoother. The only time I might worry about it is on some odd conversion but I would rather just have a bike built to be a single speed or fixed gear.