Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

new bibs

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-18, 02:53 PM
Bill

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
new bibs

I am looking for bib shorts that truly are snug. The last two I have been not so snug in the crotch area. One has a chamois that tends to bunch; the other just is a little saggy and thus gets caught on the nose of the saddle. Any suggestions? I would rather not spend more than $100.
Old 06-14-18, 03:12 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
I think I'd classify all of my bibs as truly snug, so you'll probably need to try some on to know for sure. For what's it worth, I've found Castelli and POC bibs to be crazy snug (for me, at least), so at least some of their models are cut for slimmer builds.
Old 06-14-18, 06:59 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Yeah, you just need to try them on until you find what you're looking for.. Better bibs tend to fit better but they typically also cost more.

Saggy is right out though.
Old 06-15-18, 05:33 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Assos. But, you're not going to get them for $100. Maybe $ 130. if you find a good sale.
Old 06-15-18, 06:09 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill
I am looking for bib shorts that truly are snug. The last two I have been not so snug in the crotch area. One has a chamois that tends to bunch; the other just is a little saggy and thus gets caught on the nose of the saddle. Any suggestions? I would rather not spend more than $100.
Rather not? That means to me you just might spend over 100 bucks.

I think what you are looking for is compression gear. That is, the emphasis is on compression. The proponents claim their studies show it helps in performance. But you're not looking for that. You're looking for a proper fit.

2XU has it but I see the product line is specifically for tri wear.
Old 06-15-18, 06:16 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11963 Post(s)
Liked 6,630 Times in 3,478 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill
So YOU'RE the guy who laid claim to the username "Bill", forcing everyone else to use some variation of the name.

It's a pleasure to meet you, clearly one of the pioneering members of the forum. Cheers!
Old 06-15-18, 09:35 AM
vtje

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3, 2021 Carbonda Gravel, 2019 Ibis HD4, 2016 Ibis Mojo HD3, 2016 Specialized Demo 8 II, 2015 Specialized P26

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have two pairs of Castelli's and they are very snug (compared to my other bibs).
Old 06-15-18, 09:36 AM
evan326

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra + 2016 Cannondale CAAD 12 Dura Ace

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm usually a cheap SOB, but I've learned that bibs are one thing you can't cheap out on. My buttcrack doesn't like cheap bibs. I get specialized rbx comp from my lbs for $120, but I've found my favorite chamois are the x2 from castelli. I like the very sung fit of castelli. Most people say to size up, but I'm M in both specialized and castelli. I'd definitely try them on first, or make sure you buy them from somewhere that will let you return or exchange if the size isn't right. I just stash money away until I have enough to buy nice bibs.
Old 06-16-18, 05:04 AM
Bill

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BillyD
So YOU'RE the guy who laid claim to the username "Bill", forcing everyone else to use some variation of the name.

It's a pleasure to meet you, clearly one of the pioneering members of the forum. Cheers!
Sorry. That name isn't too original, is it?
Old 06-16-18, 05:10 AM
Bill

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Rather not? That means to me you just might spend over 100 bucks.

I think what you are looking for is compression gear. That is, the emphasis is on compression. The proponents claim their studies show it helps in performance. But you're not looking for that. You're looking for a proper fit.

2XU has it but I see the product line is specifically for tri wear.
People often think that bike shorts are so tight. For me, that's what they are supposed to be. And if they are not, I discover problems--getting the shorts stuck on the saddle, sore parts, even chafing, from a poorly designed chamois. I find it hard to try on shorts because I live in a town where there isn't access to a lot of bibs. I learned my lesson big time from an order off of an advertising company on FB. They were good looking bibs and very cheap, but the chamois regularly chafes me and causes a bagginess that means very little support for a favorite part of my body.