Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What do you wear?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What do you wear?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-18, 06:08 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
No, you don’t have to wear cycling shorts, but if your primary reason is that you’re worried how you think you might look in them, you need to realize that no one cares.
Perfect! Exactly, no one really cares or stares.

Last edited by Patriot1; 07-17-18 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-17-18, 07:02 AM
GAJett

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Competition, 2010 Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen, 2010's Bike Friday Pocket Companion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
No, you don’t have to wear cycling shorts, but if your primary reason is that you’re worried how you think you might look in them, you need to realize that no one cares.
Well....
Sub-35 women might care, but is that your target demographic?
I go with Lycra shorts for "serious" rides, but no Lycra tops. The fishing shirts mentioned above ROCK-- fast drying, sun protection, sleep es up ur down as desired. Commute bottoms the convertible pants. Legs on for cool mornings, off for warm afternoons. Underneath, synthetic boxer briefs. Extend down legs for protection.
Cheers!
Old 07-17-18, 09:22 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
As a bent rider, both bike and trike I dont need high priced stuff to protect me from my rides. I wear Champion rugby shorts, and any kind of T-shirt I find in my drawer. BTW those rugby shorts cost $15 on sale at Scheels sports store.
Old 07-17-18, 09:39 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
My question is to those that do not wear the tight riding shorts. What pants/shorts do you find comfortable? Hiking with cargo pockets shorts do not get it for me as they bunch up and are very uncomfortable. I have found thinner athletic type shorts are better but I am open to any other suggestions. At 69 and 195lbs. I just can't bring myself to go out of the house in riding shorts. I have some younger people, 40"s-50"s, that fly by my house wearing them and I realize how foolish I think I would look in them. I am not in the best shape and more than a little self conscious. Just my own insecurities I realize but that is my problem.
Thanks in advance, Frank.
as long as you stick with black shorts, nobody will notice how tight your riding shorts are. Cycling shorts are not about appearance, but rather comfort.. We all start out uncomfortable about our appearance in proper cycling gear. The first time I looked at myself in the mirror all kitted up, I said to myself, who do you think you are, Lance Armstrong. But eventually, I got over it. Even after I got used to bike shorts, I would still prefer a loose fitting jersey. But even on that, I have changed my mind. Now when I ride, I prefer a snug, though not tight fitting jersey over the loose fitting ones I wore just a few years ago.

I would say get yourself some good tight fitting shorts and wear them correctly (no underwear) if you are feeling self conscious, wear some thin running or workout shorts over the cycling shorts.
Old 07-17-18, 10:10 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I wear bike shorts for the padding, then put a pair of cargo short son over them, I need a pocket to carry a few things and a belt to carry my phone. I feel awkward in just bike shorts. More importantly I wear a hi viz jersey in the hopes that at some point the goof drivers that don't look past the hood of their car will see me, it works . . . some times.
Old 07-17-18, 11:07 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Wear a kilt. No one will know what to think, but they will be afraid to ask.

Lately I've been wearing golf shorts. I got a nice pair called Goodthreads on Amazon. They are slightly stretchy, which adds to their comfort. They look exceedingly normal.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-17-18, 12:59 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I just wear some type of wicking sports type short, such as this (or longer, so long as wicking and no protruding seam): https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/bcg...tSku=108089887 and under it, Andiamo padded briefs: Padded & unpadded underwear for cycling, equestrian, moto. Those, along with a wicking t-shirt works just fine for me.
Old 07-17-18, 01:15 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Guys, cargo shorts and golf shirts are great but this is cycling.

Just thought I'd point that out.

-Tim-
Old 07-17-18, 02:28 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by TimothyH

-Tim-
I don't get your point, or maybe you missed the point of the question.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 07-17-18, 02:43 PM
pass the peas
like we used to say

Bikes: 2009 Surly Cross Check, ca.2013 Worksman INB, 2018 Breezer Doppler Pro

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH

-Tim-
I would like to point out that there's more than one kind of cycling. I often enjoy cycling to a destination where I may park my bike, take my helmet off and still be attired in such a way that I blend in with the other brunchers or shoppers or whatever. I prefer to wear "normal" looking clothes to workout gear. OP expressed that he thought he would look foolish in spandex. I think I would too, so I tend toward casual clothing made from tech fabrics when I'm riding my bicycle. It might be something that could work for OP, so I offered my take on the matter.
Old 07-17-18, 02:51 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I wear jeans a lot...

But, I have also started wearing either bike shorts or bike tights during the summer. I suppose I have decided that I really don't care if I'm seen in public with bike shorts on. I did ride a bike after all.
Old 07-17-18, 03:51 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Cargo shorts work OK until the crotch snags your saddle nose when you are throwing your leg over. Then not so much.

scott s.
Old 07-17-18, 03:59 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
Cargo shorts are great for pockets and regular (or golf shorts) fine with the removable bike liners. But I finally gave in a bought regular bike shorts and jersey because of the heat. They are worth every penny and when you're creeping up on 70 nobody cares what you look like!
Old 07-18-18, 09:18 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by noglider
I don't get your point, or maybe you missed the point of the question.
The OP would not look silly or foolish if he wore cycling clothes while cycling. He would look completely normal in the same way a baseball player looks normal when he wears a baseball uniform.

Originally Posted by pass the peas
I would like to point out that there's more than one kind of cycling. I often enjoy cycling to a destination where I may park my bike, take my helmet off and still be attired in such a way that I blend in with the other brunchers or shoppers or whatever. I prefer to wear "normal" looking clothes to workout gear. OP expressed that he thought he would look foolish in spandex. I think I would too, so I tend toward casual clothing made from tech fabrics when I'm riding my bicycle. It might be something that could work for OP, so I offered my take on the matter.
Fair enough but the OP didn't mention waling around the park or the mall. The context was "leaving the house wearing them." I took that to mean cycling.

Personally, cycling clothes look perfectly normal to me. I would not find someone in a cycling jersey and bibs at a casual restaurant or store to be odd at all. It would be no different if someone were coming from playing baseball and still in their baseball uniform - perfectly normal to me.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 07-18-18 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-18-18, 09:21 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Even though cycling clothes have the proper designation, they're shiny and tight, and plenty of people don't feel comfortable wearing them. I wear them plenty but I get some looks from people, and I'm pushing my own boundaries of what I'll wear. It doesn't stop me, but it does make me aware that these clothes are beyond other people's limits. So saying that they're cycling clothes doesn't help any more than "get over it" does. The question was what others wear, and it deserves a serious answer.

Old 07-18-18, 10:59 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
The World Cup being over, this ex-footballer (soccer) is also a cross-sport dresser on the bike.

(But looking back at pictures of me in the short short soccer shorts from the 70s, what the hell.)

What I wear:
  • For short rides:
    Clothes.
  • For longish rides:
    Soccer/athletic shirts (semi-form fit) and soccer shorts, or on sunny days soccer 3/4 length pants (keeps my knees from burning, and they don't ride up over the knees).
  • For long rides:
    Cycling undershorts under the above.
  • For two-day charity rides:
    Full MAMIL with the event jersey/socks and black cycling shorts.
One friend goes the mountain bike shorts route, with "slim fit" mountain bike shorts but which are still relaxed fit. For the two-day charity rides event jersey with the mountain bike shorts.

My shoes are recessed spd cleats because I both like clipless and I like to walk.

Speaking of 1970s, made the mistake of going on long rides in corduroy pants (once) and jeans (once). In addition to the jorts problem below, my knees were at a 6 on the Tinman scale (where 0 is before "oy-uh" and 10 is dancing down the yellow brick road).

NSFW-ish, because Bike Snob NYC uses bad words.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 07-19-18 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-18-18, 02:35 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I wear cycling knickers like a hipster and a regular cycling jersey with the 3 pockets in the back on top. Occasionally I will wear regular lycra cycling shorts but I prefer the 3/4 length knickers for UV protection. I'm not a fan of burning the crap out of the skin above my knees on the front and below the knees on the back. Plus the pockets are handy. I've never felt overheated in them. Although I own a couple pairs I very, very rarely wear bibs -- way too much trouble for a port-a-potty stop.
Old 07-18-18, 02:52 PM
Harumph

Bikes: 2018 BMC RoadMachine 02

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bib shorts are the only way to go.
Old 07-18-18, 03:01 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bibs are truly inconvenient when you have to take a dump. I was on a big ride, and I needed a break. I managed to find a place down a quiet street, but I couldn't bring my bike in. I disabled the bike as well as I could and took care of business as quickly as possible, but it sure was nerve wracking and uncomfortable. Still, it's not a deal breaker. I really do like bibs, and I plan to buy them rather than regular waistband shorts from now on.

Old 07-18-18, 10:56 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by noglider
Even though cycling clothes have the proper designation, they're shiny and tight, and plenty of people don't feel comfortable wearing them. I wear them plenty but I get some looks from people, and I'm pushing my own boundaries of what I'll wear. It doesn't stop me, but it does make me aware that these clothes are beyond other people's limits. So saying that they're cycling clothes doesn't help any more than "get over it" does. The question was what others wear, and it deserves a serious answer.
"Get over it" are your words, not mine.

I said, "cycling clothes look perfectly normal to me."
Old 07-18-18, 11:39 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4410 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
I wear Lycra for all cycling at 50 it acts like a gut girdle my family says I’m paranoid about a few extra pounds but I’m not 28 years old anymore Serious though Lycra I find comfortable so I quit wearing MTB shorts years ago but to each their own so wear what you like. I also wear solid color jerseys with no advertisements I don’t want to be a cycling billboard.
Old 07-18-18, 11:50 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 403 Posts
No matter what your age, the first moment you walk out the door in a pair of cycling shorts, you tend to be very self-conscious. The truth is, no one cares, and no one looks twice. If you have ever been to a nude beach in Europe, you'll find the average person is over 50, none-too-fit, but doesn't care.

If I am riding my road bike, I wear cycling shorts. If I am riding another bike, I wear cycling shorts, but with very thin and soft outer shorts over them.
Old 07-19-18, 06:09 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
I’m just cheap and I’m not riding competitively or anything so I try to find clothes that I can bike in, hike in or even run in. I do have some padded biking underwear that’s only for riding.
Old 07-19-18, 08:15 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Once again, thank you all for your input. I need to try to get away from my cotton shorts as they do bunch up and really feel bad. I also will admit that I am more than a little self conscious about the spandex clothing as I feel like people will look at me as a wannabe. I have had some sarcasm thrown at me for spending a lot of time trying to find the right adjustment for me for my seat. People with too much time on their hands and they do not ride.
Again, thank you all and I will be looking into your ideas. I think getting the shorts figured out will be first and then look into the new saddle.
Frank.
Old 07-19-18, 09:34 AM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Don't discount padded spandex underliners. They offer all the advantages of the regular spandex cycling shorts but go under plain shorts and knickers. That's what I wear under my cycling knickers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.