Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Neuse River greenway trail

Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Old 08-05-18, 04:06 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts

Visited my daughter this weekend and took time out to ride some on the Greenway trail. What a nice trail it is. Clean, and smooth and scenic, Can't wait to go back.
Old 08-05-18, 11:11 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 1,626 Times in 935 Posts

Old 08-06-18, 05:37 AM
TheClevo
N00B

Bikes: Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes it is

Wife and I are local to the area, and couldn’t agree more!! Just did 30 miles there from the capital
greenway at NC Museum of art down to Sam Branch Greenway in Clayton.
Old 08-06-18, 01:54 PM
coffeesnob

Originally Posted by TheClevo
Wife and I are local to the area, and couldn’t agree more!! Just did 30 miles there from the capital
greenway at NC Museum of art down to Sam Branch Greenway in Clayton.
We didn't go far as we didn't have a lot of time We went from about mile marker 22 auburnknightdale road to the end in clayton and back. We used to live in clayton and when we retire are hoping to move back around garner so we can be with the daughter's family. Pretty muggy saturday and was surprised the mosquitoes were not a problem.
Old 08-06-18, 01:55 PM
coffeesnob

Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji

I brought my camera along and meant to get a photo of that tunnel but just didn't do it.
Old 08-08-18, 11:13 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I love the Neuse River Trail, but it's a bit of a drive to get to. I usually park at Anderson Point Park and then either go south or north to the end and then back. I have not decided which way I like best.
Old 08-08-18, 06:57 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I am very fortunate to be close. I ride simmons branch trail to abbotts creek trail to the neuse River trail all the way to Anderson point and then back. Once I went a little further on the south end of the Crabtree creek trail and it also was beautiful. I need to drive there once and explore that area more.
Old 08-14-18, 12:42 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 117 Posts
I was just there this past weekend and walked a little bit on the Neuse trail. Considering moving to the Raleigh area. DC region has gotten way over populated for me.

Ok, where is this bridge on that trail? I was trying to figure it out and never did get to see it.

Old 08-14-18, 03:03 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

I've been there, but couldn't tell you exactly where. There are 7 bridges ( 2 of them suspension ) on the 27½ mile Neuse River Trail. I think the vegitation has grown up quite a bit

Old 08-15-18, 06:03 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Here's a google map link. It's at approximately Mile 13.5 (Mile zero at the dam to the north)
Old 08-15-18, 10:01 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 117 Posts
Thanks!
Old 08-15-18, 05:12 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I believe that is the horseshoe farm park bridge. I could be mistaken though.

Last edited by Gconan; 08-15-18 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-05-19, 09:15 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Boy, coming from Kinston where the Neuse flooding is commonplace, I was surprised Wednesday how much of the Neuse River Trail was under water. Most areas could still be ridden through, but just before the WRAL soccer park it was too deep for me and daughter Aaryn. I was told by Aaryn to expect some dirty conditions so I chose the beater and brought home some mud to remember the ride.

Hard to see behind us because the self timed camera angle is on the road, but this is at the soccer park

further south on the trail

Originally Posted by Gconan
I believe that is the horseshoe farm park bridge. I could be mistaken though.
Since we were cut off at the soccer park we went on the Horseshoe Farm Park trail for the 1st time and while the suspension bridge there is similar to the one pictured up above, it's not that one...which is further south heading towards Johnson Co.
Old 01-31-19, 02:44 PM
dlos

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recently just got into cycling, pretty much all I've been riding is the Neuse River Trail. I get on at the dam and have been riding to mile post 12-14 and back each time. Been fortunate to have the trail mostly to myself (great so no one else can see how unfit I am!). It's really beautiful back there and quiet!
Old 02-01-19, 07:22 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Originally Posted by dlos
I recently just got into cycling, pretty much all I've been riding is the Neuse River Trail. I get on at the dam and have been riding to mile post 12-14 and back each time. Been fortunate to have the trail mostly to myself (great so no one else can see how unfit I am!). It's really beautiful back there and quiet!
Welcome to BikeForums. It's great to see that you are enjoying cycling on the NRT. I wouldn't say that being able to ride 25+ miles at a stretch is "unfit".
Old 02-01-19, 08:20 AM
dlos

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
Welcome to BikeForums. It's great to see that you are enjoying cycling on the NRT. I wouldn't say that being able to ride 25+ miles at a stretch is "unfit".
Thanks Hoopdriver, appreciate the welcome! Kickin' myself for not spending more time on NRT over the years, such a phenomenal resource we have in this area (all the trails combined really)! I can do those 25+ miles, but they sure aren't pretty, lol!
Old 02-03-19, 07:47 PM
norskagent
car dodger

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 61 Posts
I ride a section of it quite often from my house in garner, along with part of the crabtree creek trail to make up part of a nice 30 mile loop.
Old 03-04-19, 12:05 PM
coffeesnob

Originally Posted by norskagent
I ride a section of it quite often from my house in garner, along with part of the crabtree creek trail to make up part of a nice 30 mile loop.
Where do you get on at in Garner? What is the real estate like around the bike path?we sure would like to move down closer to my daughter who lives in the apts near white oak shopping center. Used to live in clayton but that traffic seems to be getting crazy. Where is the best bang for the proverbial real estate buck? Thanks
Old 03-04-19, 04:30 PM
norskagent
car dodger

Well I have to ride about 10 miles to get to the neuse river trail, about 3 miles through garner, then about 3 miles on old garner rd. (trafficky at times but not too bad), then auburn knightdale rd. to the river. Not sure about real estate prices out there but in general the garner area is less expensive than other parts of wake county.
Old 10-15-19, 05:04 PM
kshepherd

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Neuse river trail is definitely my favorite greenway in the Raleigh area! I like to put in at Anderson Point Park, ride south to the end in Clayton, ride back past Anderson Point Park, and go as far as I can up north towards the Fall Neuse dam --still working my way up to the full 66 mi round trip, almost there!

Wish they'd finish with all the construction on the Crabtree Creek Trail!
Likes For kshepherd:
Old 05-03-20, 07:57 PM
Mojo Rider

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Neuse River Greenway is great! Raleigh has a nice greenway system, and that is my favorite part. My wife and I have done it several times on our old bikes (like others, often starting at Anderson Point Park) and we are both looking to upgrade and get out there more often!

We haven't been on that part of the Greenway since the coronavirus hit. For anyone who has been recently, is it too crowded to feel comfortable riding?
Likes For Mojo Rider:
Old 05-03-20, 11:24 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Originally Posted by Mojo Rider
The Neuse River Greenway is great! Raleigh has a nice greenway system, and that is my favorite part. My wife and I have done it several times on our old bikes (like others, often starting at Anderson Point Park) and we are both looking to upgrade and get out there more often!

We haven't been on that part of the Greenway since the coronavirus hit. For anyone who has been recently, is it too crowded to feel comfortable riding?
I was finally on the Clayton starting point Saturday and it wasn't too crowded to feel comfortable IMO. I'm well acquainted with the Raleigh end of the greenway, but had never been on this southernmost part of the trail that's actually closest to me coming from Kinston. I made a crude map of how to get to the starting point just off N. O'Neil St. from 70 Business.

Old 06-28-20, 02:12 PM
norskagent
car dodger

The town of Clayton is currently working on an extension of the Sam's branch greenway, to the road marked "1709" on the map posted above. Will make it easier to access from downtown in terms of traffic I think. Also, the NRG can be kinda crowded on weekends, but not a problem unless you are a "personal best" type rider.
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
"I've consulted my sources and I'm pretty sure your derailleur does not exist"
Old 10-14-22, 07:02 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Senseless Shooting involving the Neuse River Trail

Anyone have any information on the shootings? I just came in on the end of this morning's news conference and of the 5 victims, three were women in their early 50's to 30's and the report was that some of the shooting happened on the Neuse River Trail. The 15 year old gunman is in critical condition and one of the victims was a 16 years old. I think some of the shootings happened in the neighborhood then progressed to the Greenway. Easy to assume that the shooter might have some connection to the 16 year old.

I also wonder if any of this was prompted by the heavy news coverage of the Parkland shooter sentencing trial yesterday.
Old 10-14-22, 07:21 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
Senseless Shooting involving the Neuse River Trail

Anyone have any information on the shootings? I just came in on the end of this morning's news conference and of the 5 victims, three were women in their early 50's to 30's and the report was that some of the shooting happened on the Neuse River Trail. The 15 year old gunman is in critical condition and one of the victims was a 16 years old. I think some of the shootings happened in the neighborhood then progressed to the Greenway. Easy to assume that the shooter might have some connection to the 16 year old.

I also wonder if any of this was prompted by the heavy news coverage of the Parkland shooter sentencing trial yesterday.
I don’t have anymore info but I did stop right there for a hydration break on Wednesday the day before the shooting.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.