Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What is your opinion?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What is your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-18, 10:46 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,589 Times in 1,224 Posts

If you don't ride hills around here you don't get very far. Many times you have the choice of either. Then there is Mt Diablo, where you get a sustained up hill and then a steep grade at the end of that. Prefer? The downhill side, lol.
Old 08-19-18, 12:23 PM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
I ride in mostly flat areas by necessity and find that riding like that at a steady speed & cadence can be quite tiring over the long run. I much prefer rollers where my cadence and force on the pedals varies along the way, sort of like doing interval training with short breaks on the downhills. It's also fun to hammer the downhills and see how far up the next hill your momentum will carry you. I'm also not a strong climber and do better at long shallower climbs than short steep ones.
Old 08-23-18, 09:23 AM
sevenmag

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DougG
I ride in mostly flat areas by necessity and find that riding like that at a steady speed & cadence can be quite tiring over the long run. I much prefer rollers where my cadence and force on the pedals varies along the way, sort of like doing interval training with short breaks on the downhills. It's also fun to hammer the downhills and see how far up the next hill your momentum will carry you. I'm also not a strong climber and do better at long shallower climbs than short steep ones.
If I want to climb a hill I have to ride back and forth over the interstate, which I do at the end of every ride. Doesn't matter if I'm doing 20 or 80, the bridge is just under 2 miles from my house so I make it a point to hit it at the end of every ride. Well, not 100 percent but certainly the vast majority. Like DougG said, staying on the power for hours is certainly a workout but I'd love to be able to mix it up more. I do a metric century once a year where my son is in college and and it's nice rolling hills. I love it there. My average speed on that ride is generally faster than any of the rides I do home over the same distance.