Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Hudson River Greenway

Old 08-26-18, 08:05 PM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Hudson River Greenway

Just a heads up, the Hudson River Greenway has a closure just north of the GW Bridge. When you come up from the GW bridge it's that last small bridge with the terrible road bed before that crazy uphill back up to the HHP is closed for Inspection/Repairs
Old 08-27-18, 01:49 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
Yes. It is fenced off but you can climb over as I did yesterday. My guess is they'll more thoroughly fence it off. I was coming down from Brewster on the N/S County trail and was not in the mood to figure out an alternative as it was also getting dark. The problem is there is no good way around it and it cuts that last section off from the rest of the trail.
Old 08-27-18, 02:16 PM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Well I hope the post saves someone the aggravation, and I hope they remedy the problem fast, that's an important connector.
Old 08-27-18, 07:42 PM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Yes. It is fenced off but you can climb over as I did yesterday. My guess is they'll more thoroughly fence it off. I was coming down from Brewster on the N/S County trail and was not in the mood to figure out an alternative as it was also getting dark. The problem is there is no good way around it and it cuts that last section off from the rest of the trail.
One work around is to cross the footbridge at 181st and take Ft Washington to 165th to Riverside (which has been milled and is no fun) to 153rd to the new bridge over the parkway and back to the greenway
Old 08-29-18, 11:58 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Unrelated to the closure, what's up with the new security fixtures I heard were being installed in response to the driver terror attack? The Philly bike club has its annual New Hope, PA to Brooklyn ride this coming Sunday. We take the ferry from Hoboken to Midtown and then ride down the Greenway to Warren.
Old 08-29-18, 12:12 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
@indyfabz concrete barriers were already set in a few locations on the path. It's the similar to some dividers you might see
separating traffic lanes. Should be no problem for cyclists when it's not too crowded. Makes passing/sharing the path a bit
more tricky on busy days/times.
https://www.amny.com/news/hudson-riv...ety-1.18816571
Old 08-29-18, 12:21 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Unrelated to the closure, what's up with the new security fixtures I heard were being installed in response to the driver terror attack? The Philly bike club has its annual New Hope, PA to Brooklyn ride this coming Sunday. We take the ferry from Hoboken to Midtown and then ride down the Greenway to Warren.
I rode there last weekend. They are still there, maybe with minor change of size. 3 big concrete blocks at each intersection, two on the sides, one in the middle making it two-way. So it's like a bottle neck, okay when not crowded (but unpleasant). Sometimes pedestrians walk through them before you, so you have to wait or take the wrong way.
Old 08-29-18, 12:23 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by vol
I rode there last weekend. They are still there, maybe with minor change of size. 3 big concrete blocks at each intersection, two on the sides, one in the middle making it two-way. So it's like a bottle neck, okay when not crowded (but unpleasant). Sometimes pedestrians walk through them before you, so you have to wait or take the wrong way.
Thanks. Ugh. It's usually busy the Sunday before Labor Day. Riding over the Brooklyn Bridge is always an insane part of the ride.
Old 08-29-18, 12:27 PM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
There is also this work around that was posted to the NYCC forums.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28470085
It crosses the exit ramp on the NB highway then the path takes you to the footbridge just south of the tennis courts. Part of the path is not paved and the footbridge has stairs, not a ramp
Old 08-30-18, 02:15 AM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
They have started replacing those concrete barriers, with a more permanent metal poles.
Old 08-30-18, 10:54 AM
vol

The next terrorist will do something new. They could drive directly onto the Greenway by crossing the grassy median between two intersections. Then the city may start building a wall? This is just like the airport security, banning lotions etc.
Old 08-30-18, 08:06 PM
punkinevil

Bikes: 1978 Schwinn Continental, 1970 Schwinn Paramount P-13, 1977 Schwinn Superior, 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1977 Schwinn LeTour II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
The next terrorist will do something new. They could drive directly onto the Greenway by crossing the grassy median between two intersections. Then the city may start building a wall? This is just like the airport security, banning lotions etc.
Or ride a motorcycle, or a tiger onto it. One thing I love about this city is that while most of us are cautious (about everything) we don't obsess over what's going to kill us. We continue living our lives. I'm pretty sure I was riding the Greenway the next day (maybe 2 days? depends on work schedule). At least the parks department is slowly replacing those dangerous jersey barriers with slightly less obtrusive and dangerous metal bollards.

Back to the topic: I did stop to read one of the closure signs. Presumably, the section is closed for inspection temporarily. Hopefully, it will be quick and they will make a few repairs. That wooden bridge deck has tried to kill me a few times and been closer to success than any of the city's tourist attacks. Autocorrect changed terrorist to tourist. I'm leaving it.
Old 08-30-18, 10:15 PM
zacster

I had read elsewhere that they are looking to replace the bridge entirely. I think this "inspection" is just an excuse to do that.
Old 08-30-18, 10:32 PM
punkinevil

Bikes: 1978 Schwinn Continental, 1970 Schwinn Paramount P-13, 1977 Schwinn Superior, 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1977 Schwinn LeTour II

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I had read elsewhere that they are looking to replace the bridge entirely. I think this "inspection" is just an excuse to do that.
I don't think they need an excuse. At this point, that thing is made of nothing but popsicle sticks and spit.
Old 08-31-18, 05:25 PM
punkinevil

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Just to add a little positive Greenway news. The section at 15th st in front of the new Google building is done and open. The bike lanes along South Street now have their bike icons. No lane markers yet, but hopefully this will keep some pedestrians out of the way. Experience says people would still walk in them, but maybe fewer.

Last edited by punkinevil; 08-31-18 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-01-18, 05:23 PM
vol

I rode there again (exactly 1 week from last ride), and yes, about half of the concrete barriers on the Greenway have been replaced by metal cylinder poles, esp. the downtown/southern part.

I just hope they do more improvement along the East River, which is about the same as before. The most chaotic area is South Ferry, with cars, bikes, especially pedestrians walking in all directions, oh boy
Old 09-01-18, 07:02 PM
zacster

I rode the greenway again today also and took a side trip on the ramps up to the street at 155th and then again at 150th on a new span from last year. I didn't go up to the closed area but someone was saying that it is not passable. When I was there last weekend it was easy enough to climb over.

Some parts are improving but certain areas are still just difficult, like around the cruise ship terminal/Intrepid. The East Side will never change I'm afraid.
Old 09-08-18, 07:51 PM
Blaise88

Bikes: All City Mr Pink & Surly Krampus

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dendawg
There is also this work around that was posted to the NYCC forums.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28470085
It crosses the exit ramp on the NB highway then the path takes you to the footbridge just south of the tennis courts. Part of the path is not paved and the footbridge has stairs, not a ramp
That’s the route I use. Definitely spices up the commute a bit. I live in Inwood and work in Hell’s Kitchen.
Old 09-22-18, 03:38 AM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Anyone know if they have opened it back up?
Old 09-22-18, 04:05 AM
zacster

I have a feeling that it won't be open again for a long time.

Streetsblog NYC
Old 09-22-18, 06:16 AM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks for the link. That does not sound good!
Old 09-25-18, 08:12 AM
zacster

I was riding up Riverside to the bridge on Sunday and there was someone wearing a vest at 152nd St directing cyclists onto the path to cross back to the greenway. I'm not sure if he was there specifically for cyclists or was just helping out while doing something else.
Old 09-25-18, 11:54 AM
indyfabz

I ended up not riding it during the Brooklyn event because when my group of three got to 14th St. in Hoboken we learned that they had re-instituted Sunday ferry service to the WFC stop, which also serves the train station in Hoboken. When they stopped that Sunday service years ago we had to sail to Midtown and ride down the Greenway. The ride organizers never bothered to check the ferry service this year so we wasted time riding all the way up to 14th St. in Hoboken just to sail back south. The Brooklyn Bridge was as crazy as ever.
Old 09-25-18, 07:35 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by indyfabz
The Brooklyn Bridge was as crazy as ever.
That's why we in Brooklyn all use the Manhattan Bridge now. The Brooklyn Bridge wan't always this bad. Back in the 60s/70s you'd hardly see anybody on it, much less riding a bike. One time I was riding across when they were doing work and there was cut up suspender cable laying around. I always kick myself for not taking a piece so I could say I own a part of the Brooklyn Bridge.
Old 09-26-18, 04:16 AM
indyfabz

That's why we in Brooklyn all use the Manhattan Bridge now.
A few on the event do. I'm considering doing the same next year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.