Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Weight Weenies Rejoice

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Weight Weenies Rejoice

Old 12-05-18, 05:04 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Weight Weenies Rejoice

Well, at least a little. Bulls has a new full-suspension model with a Fazua motor that weighs about 35 pounds. Finally, eMTB's are heading in the right direction. My fully rigid BBS02-equipped bike is sub-35 while laden with a porky 10 pound motor.
Old 12-10-18, 11:13 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Cool

They need to make a lot of these e-Bikes lighter and stronger. More alloy, less steel ...

But there is an alternate side to this. Bultaco has decided to get serious about off-road e-Mopeds. 2kw motors and a more robust build, but still coming in under 48 Kgs. So there is a good spread from lightweight bikes to robust fast off road offerings

Last edited by BrocLuno; 12-10-18 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-17-18, 12:33 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I thought I was the only weight weenie, with my old 29lb bike. ;-)

Its good to see things starting to go in that direction though. There are a couple of light road bikes starting to come available, but of course light means less power and smaller batteries. Thank goodness the battery technology has gotten better (I went from a 10lb battery to a 3lb battery).

And, small motors/batteries are mostly for people who want to do some work pedaling - and that seems to be a small portion of the populace...
Old 01-14-19, 11:49 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I thought I was the only weight weenie, with my old 29lb bike...And, small motors/batteries are mostly for people who want to do some work pedaling - and that seems to be a small portion of the populace
Have to agree with you. My personal experience is that an assisted pedal only, Schwinn Tailwind at a bargain price was very effective in bringing an out of shape old man back to fitness. The e-bike weighs 58 pounds. Now only used for a few grocery runs where its milk crate cargo hold and hill topping ability meets a need. (I'm 78 y.o., fit again, but appreciate some electric muscle now & then).

I would only buy another if a "weight weenie" e-bike was offered. What would it look like?

Take a single speed Mercier Kilo WT (22.6#), add a 250 watt hub motor (6.6#), 10AH battery (4#), plus ( .5#) for some kind of cadence sensor/battery management system and you could have a 33.7 e-bike that far outperforms my old e-bike. Cost? Likely $700-$800 from a manufacturer, perhaps a couple hundred less home-built with all new parts.

Some will want gears, so add a Nexus 8 speed IGH and that's another 6 pounds and $200 or so. I used the Kilo example because I prefer a steel frame to aluminum, carbon or titanium for multiple reasons. Most folks want that throttle option. Don

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 01-14-19 at 11:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-15-19, 08:26 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
That would be a great plan. I had the original Kilo TT – actually the original design by KMS that I used as a road and a track bike. The WT has fatter tires and less velodrome geometry, steel frame at a good price. Single speed bikes with horizontal drop outs make great electric bikes because they are just about the only light weigh frames with dropouts strong enough to really hold a motor. Can’t say that I miss having gears on an electric bike. If I really needed gears I’d get a mid drive anyway.

You will need to use it with a flat bar to get a throttle though.