Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Old Tools - any good?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old Tools - any good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-19, 08:56 AM
mikeread

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Old Tools - any good?

I bought a box of old frame building tools a few years back - off a guy who hadn't built a frame for many years. They were all in bits and I didn't really know what they were or what went where, so I put them on a shelf until I needed them.

About 10 years later (today), I dug them out to see what I had, not expecting them to be much use for the oversize tube sizes I am using. I think I have them figured out and that they will be more useful than I expected.

Head tube facing tool - I believe this is assembled correctly? I was pleased to find it already had the guide part to fit in an oversize head tube and that the cutter is wide enough too. I suspected the tool dates from before 1 1/8 " steerers were invented!
Can I use this with the existing cutter and guide to face the bottom bracket?

Fork race setting tool - I have bored this out to work with 1 1/8 steerers

Bottom bracket thread cleaning tool - should work OK

Adjustable reamer - It is marked 25.98 to 30.16mm Is it possible to use this tool slightly beyond its designed range? I ask as I am using a 31.7 x 0.6 seat tube so will need to ream about 30.6mm and I do seem to be able to adjust the reamer big enough.

So am I correct that the only thing I need now is a 1 1/8 head tube reamer to fit on the facing tool?

I did also get 1" fork threading and crown cutting tools but I cannot see them being useful at all.

Old 01-22-19, 09:47 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
it looks to me that you have the things on either side of the cutter backwards. Was there a head tube reamer?

You should be able to use the seat tube reamer, I just wouldn't try to cut too much at once. Hopefully you don't have to.
Old 01-22-19, 04:40 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Is that a VAR head tube facer? I'll check against my old one later to confirm. I, too, think it's missing the ID reamer cutting element/shell. Also note the wear on the black shaft to the right of the facer cutter. This is likely from the inside of the head tube, so Eric's suggestion that it and the silver part with the set of flats are on the wrong sides of the cutter is likely correct. As to the adjustable reamer accommodating a larger cut then labeled, you'll find out easily enough. Usually depends on how many threads are still within the end/trapping nut.

Well I'm wrong on the order of the sleeves on either side of the facer cutter. Here's a shot of my VAR tool (and your's is also a VAR). Clearly the silver sleeve with the flats goes under/to the left of the cutter. As to the reamer shell. Perhaps contacting Wayne at Mel Pinto (the importer for VAR) will help you find one. Andy

Old 01-22-19, 04:48 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Mike- As I look at your tool again and at mine I see some differences and might have to walk back my suggestion of sleeve locations. Yours seems to have two sleeves with flats where mine has only one. My sleeve, left of the cutter, also has scrap marks on it, like your sleeve that's black and to the right of the cutter. I now suspect your black sleeve goes on the left, as Eric and I originally thought. But that leaves the silver/shorter one on your tool and where does it go. Is it threaded (the flats would infer so)? It also looks to be larger in diameter then the black sleeve. I now question if it would even fit inside the head tube, unless it's sized for a 1 1/8" system. Anyway good luck figuring this out. Andy
Old 01-22-19, 06:04 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Mine ia a different make but it can adjust the cutter/reamer position up and down the shaft using 2 threaded collars like OPs. The silver collar probably goes on the flat side of the face cutter and the black scraped up collar goes inside the headtube below the reamer, which appears to be missing, and holds the reamer facer assy in place. Maybe ?? It is hard to tell with it assembled. I like the BB thread chaser.

If the adjustable reamer won't go quite big enough I have cut brass shim stock and put it under the cutter blades to raise the blades a few thousands.
Old 01-23-19, 03:12 AM
mikeread

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
It is a VAR tool, I think all the tools are.

Looking again at the head tube facing tool I am sure the two guide pieces either side of the cutter are for 1 " and 1 1 /8 inch and you just fit the one you need. The worn 1 " one was used by the previous owner.

If I had the reamer cutter in place it would all fit together the same as Andrews photo, but without it, it needs the second guide piece to make it all lock up tight.

Good idea with the shims thankyou Steve.

Looking at reamers online they seem to come in 33.8 33.9 and 40.0. Does anyone know which I need for a Hope Headset?
Old 01-23-19, 08:58 AM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
To determine the headset reamer you need to know what size head tube 1" 1 1/8th" 44mm then you buy the corresponding reamer and headset. The head sets should be made to a standard size to fit the head tube standard.

https://www.vartools.com/en/frame.php

They have a great selection of cutters.
Old 05-31-19, 09:46 PM
vintage cellar

Bikes: 1970 Alex Singer, 63 Hetchins, 75 Motobecane Townie, more . . .

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Pilot might be to use for facing the Bottom Bracket ?

I remember seeing that Var used to make a pilot to use the #32 Head Tube reamer to also face the bottom bracket shell.

Maybe that is what is on the left of the cutter in the picture ?
I think United Bicycle Tool also made that bit, too.

It saved you the considerable $ of buying a separate BB Facer, although you had to go through the trouble of taking the whole tool apart and back again.

I had a Var BB Facing tool BITD. The cutter was nice and sharp, but the tool used a simple male pilot that wasn't very accurate.
I sold it and ended up getting a lightly-used Park one (with the threaded pilots) and it works about a thousand times better than the VAR.

I still have my old VAR 32 head tube reamer / facer and it works great.