Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

License plates for road bikes in NC???

Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Old 03-01-19, 04:06 PM
huffman 

Bikes: Niner Jet 9 • Santa Cruz 5010 • Litespeed Watia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

It's a real possibility because of House Bill 157 that would require registration of each bike you ride on a state road, $10 fee per year per bike and get this • you would have to put a "suitably sized" license plate on your bike.

I urge every rider in NC to contact their House Representative and demand they vote NO for the ludicrous idea.

First you have to go to this site to see who represents you but in great state fashion the links for the names don't work.
https://www.ncleg.gov/Members/RepresentationByCounty/H

Then cross reference this page for their contact information:
https://www.ncleg.gov/Members/ContactInfo/H

The "theory" is that it will be used by the Dept Of Transportation to improve cycling but as every NC resident knows, the "Education Lottery" did NOTHING for teachers. I know, my daughter teaches and we buy a ton of items for her classroom that the state should provide but won't.

If you ride in NC please link this to every rider you know.
Old 03-01-19, 04:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18348 Post(s)
Liked 4,498 Times in 3,344 Posts

I end up with several bikes that I ride, so I could get hit with $100 in annual fees. But, that also means that I ride a lot of miles.

The program likely would generate income, but half of that would likely get chewed up in administration and enforcement.

Could the registration system help prevent bike theft? National registration?

Oregon came up with the concept of a Bicycle Sales Tax a year ago. It doesn't really affect me much, and I don't mind chipping a bit of my share.

However, I've thought about this some, and one of the main purviews of the local government is to promote health and well being of the citizens. And, that means providing parks, and promoting health and fitness activities.

Adding impediments to health and fitness is counterproductive.

In fact, society would be better if the governments would subsidize new bike purchases rather than taxing them, and pay the citizens say $10 for every 1000 verified miles they ride (commuter/utility miles?)

Of course, if you live in a sales tax state, you can point out that cyclists are already getting taxed on bike purchases and parts/consumable purchases. Even without sales taxes, they get hit with income taxes (plus taxes on businesses and employees they support), property taxes, driver's license taxes, etc.
Old 03-05-19, 09:23 AM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Yep, ridiculous money grab and nothing more. Hope it goes absolutely nowhere.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 03-08-19, 02:17 PM
Honeycga001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nc bike registration bill

I too would urge all NC bike riders to contact their legislators to vote against this bike registration bill. I have several bikes that I keep at my house that folks visiting can ride. I've been in the Bike rental business for 40 years on the OBX that many of our Visitors take advantage of. It would be a nightmare of a Bill pertaining to enforcement and a financial hardship on the business Community, Residents, everyone that enjoys biking. What happens with Out of State bike riders when they bring their bikes into NC. This Bill has not been thought through. It's opening a can of worms that will produce little if any revenue beyond implementation cost.
Old 03-09-19, 05:30 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Honeycga001
I too would urge all NC bike riders to contact their legislators to vote against this bike registration bill. I have several bikes that I keep at my house that folks visiting can ride. I've been in the Bike rental business for 40 years on the OBX that many of our Visitors take advantage of. It would be a nightmare of a Bill pertaining to enforcement and a financial hardship on the business Community, Residents, everyone that enjoys biking. What happens with Out of State bike riders when they bring their bikes into NC. This Bill has not been thought through. It's opening a can of worms that will produce little if any revenue beyond implementation cost.
Georgia tried to pass such a law a few years back. The sponsors withdrew it after not much action. I expect that this NC bill will also die in committee. It is currently in the Transportation Committee, of which my state rep is a member. I plan on writing to her.

I also find it interesting that the sponsor, Jeffery Elmore, lists "Less Regulation" on his web site. The NC Motto is Esse quam videri, which means "To be rather than to seem". Mr. Elmore has it backwards.
Old 03-09-19, 07:03 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Stupidest law ever. Perfect evidence that lawmakers have lost their minds. I hope ever citizen (not just cyclist) calls, writes, emails, etc. in to let them know that this is not what citizens want from their public officials.
Old 03-11-19, 05:50 AM
huffman 

Bikes: Niner Jet 9 • Santa Cruz 5010 • Litespeed Watia

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I emailed both my representatives, Rep. Mitchell Setzer emailed and called me to discuss the bill. He is completely against it and was wanting more information to fight the bill. Thankfully someone in Raleigh is listening.
Old 03-11-19, 06:06 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I have confidence you guys can stop this if enough of you write in. I recall during the early 1990's there was a plan to start charging $$$ to people on bicycles entering Mt. Diablo State Park in the SF Bay Area. A bunch of us riders wrote to our state legislators, and signed petitions, and were able to successfully block the measure.

If it were the feds doing this, you'd have no chance, but state-level your voice can often be heard, and your voice matters to elected officials, especially if you get enough other people to join in. Good luck bros!
Old 03-12-19, 01:19 AM
KraneXL

These are the times when communities such as this site come in handy. This is something we all should be on the same accord and concerned about.

Legislators apparently get bored and have nothing better to do than invent cockamamie laws and income building schemes such as this. But this type of thinking needs to be nipped in the bud and vanquished quickly lest it snowball out of control.

The last thing we need is a bunch of legislation raining down to encroach on our freedom to spoil all the fun of cycling. What effects one (community, state, jurisdiction, area), effects us all. Uncle Sam keep out.

Last edited by KraneXL; 03-12-19 at 05:13 AM. Reason: word delete
Old 03-12-19, 04:36 AM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Done, all four contacted.
Old 03-22-19, 01:35 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Seriously doubt it will even make it to a vote. Like the police don’t have enough to do? The cost of making the plates, admin of the program and enforcement far out weigh any money the state would make @$10 per bike.

You just can’t make this stuff up. What’s sad is these clowns got voted into office.
Old 03-22-19, 02:07 AM
KraneXL

Politicians 👎
Old 03-25-19, 07:21 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 635 Posts
I just emailed my rep and his leg. Assistant. I will follow up with a ph call to his office tomorrow. This has got to be stopped.
Old 04-22-19, 04:43 PM
Honeycga001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
I just emailed my rep and his leg. Assistant. I will follow up with a ph call to his office tomorrow. This has got to be stopped.
I really appreciate everyone that contacted their Reps. I touched base with Representive Elmore a few weeks back who presented the Bill expressing my opinion and he said the Bill was dead. Never under estimate the Power of the People when it come to Legislation.
Old 04-22-19, 04:59 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 635 Posts
Yahoo!!
Old 04-26-19, 09:43 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
See if they'll make you a vanity plate. If so, get one that says 370H55V. Then display the tag upside down.