Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Police bicycles

Old 06-12-19, 02:02 AM
Hr1
Banned.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Police bicycles

Given that road bikes are generally faster and lighter I wonder why police, much like their use of HDs, choose to use mtbs? The only real advantage a mtb has for the most part is adeptly handling rough terrain. Road bikes accelerate faster being that their usually less than half the weight of a mtb and SS's are nearly silent in operation which in tactical operations would be a distinct advantage. Although the harsh ride of the rigid frame would make a full (8hr) shift very fatiguing.
Old 06-12-19, 02:13 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
See crime going down on other side of park. Bunny hops curb, gets pinch flat... fixes pinch flat, gets stuck in soft grass.
Old 06-12-19, 02:39 AM
Hr1
Banned.

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
See crime going down on other side of park. Bunny hops curb, gets pinch flat... fixes pinch flat, gets stuck in soft grass.
By the time the mtb gets there the suspect is long gone. My scenario is much more realistic.
Old 06-12-19, 04:01 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Police cyclists are more rolling radios than pursuers. They have instant access to every vehicle in the fleet, they don't need to give chase on something that's gonna get a pinch-flat within three minutes of a chase.
Likes For MikeyMK:
Old 06-12-19, 04:36 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Look at it from another angle---police forces choose MTBs, so why?

Id wager it is because they frequently don't succeed through speed, and are quick enough when speed is needed.

A strong rider on an MTB can definitely catch a pedestrian, and follow through much terrain .... but obviously a pedestrian can hop a fence and be gone. Cops have radios.

Most fooling-around cyclists---the kind of people who would be breaking the law stupidly in urban areas---are no match for most cycle cops in fitness. The cops work out regularly, and the few bike cops I knew took great pride in being fast---rather, quick. They aren't looking at one-hour chases---they are sprinters. Of course, the cop is carrying a ton of gear--weapons, first aid, bulletproof vest, radio---and so isn't designed for a long chase. See above remark regarding radios.

Further, bike cops are primarily about mobility, not speed. A cop in a car in traffic sees a crime, s/he has to park, get, out, and chase on foot because the criminals are usually on bikes or on foot and able to cut through crowds, across public spaces---places cars could not go. A bike cop can duck down an alley, sail off a two-foot drop, shoot through a three-foot gap between buildings, and be ahead of the runner--and in pursuit, can keep an eye on the suspect while using that radio I keep mentioning.

If long-distance speed were all that mattered, bike cops wouldn't bother with guns, radios, flak vests. If instant acceleration was all that mattered, they'd all ride ultra-light road bikes. But what matters is delivering the fully-equipped cop to a given location more quickly than s/he could get there on foot after abandoning the car. And abandoning the car is itself problematical, considering there is usually a small arsenal in the trunk.

Rigid MTBs look like good tools for the job when one considers the actual job, not some fantasy cop movie where bold cycling cops chase renegade bike messengers or highly athletic small-time drug dealers down carless urban streets (which only exist in movies.) (In real life those drug dealers don't go on long, hard training rides, they have BMX bikes if they ride, and they smoke a lot.)

Cops could have chosen Any bikes. They chose what would best help them do their jobs.
Old 06-12-19, 04:39 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Hr1
Given that road bikes are generally faster and lighter I wonder why police, much like their use of HDs, choose to use mtbs? The only real advantage a mtb has for the most part is adeptly handling rough terrain. Road bikes accelerate faster being that their usually less than half the weight of a mtb and SS's are nearly silent in operation which in tactical operations would be a distinct advantage. Although the harsh ride of the rigid frame would make a full (8hr) shift very fatiguing.
Obviously, you have never tried to ride a road bike while wearing a ballistic vest and a belt with 20lbs of gear on it.
Old 06-12-19, 05:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Not to mention, I'd bet that the average bike cop is faster on the mtb than you are on your road bike. Biggest variable in speed is the rider, and from what I've seen, no one accelerates better than a bike cop. They train on it, and they have huge amounts of saddle time.

Road bikes are designed to squeeze a couple mph on an open road, they really aren't an advantage in the crowded, uneven terrain an urban cop is going to encounter. Seriously, are you picturing the cops riding the drops and/or aero bars in a lot of scenarios?

All bikes are quiet enough to be pretty stealthy on a street, so your speculation about the tactical advantage of ss is just silly.

Next up--why do people use cargo bikes to carry cargo?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-12-19, 05:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Hr1
By the time the mtb gets there the suspect is long gone. My scenario is much more realistic.
You obviously have no idea what police patrolling is about.

The device of choice for high speed pursuit is an internal combustion engine. Bikes' advantages are in expanding the range of beat patrolling and rolling on terrain cars can't go. Racing bikes would suck for both of those.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-12-19, 05:39 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
They used Honda C90's on our MUP system in the 1980s briefly, but I guess the lawyers put a stop to that.
Old 06-12-19, 06:29 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Old 06-12-19, 06:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Were you both chasing the caboose?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-12-19, 06:45 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Hr1
I think you should test your idea and let a bike cop see you take a bag from a little old lady on your road bike in the environment a cop bike would be present.

Or make friends with some bike cops and have a friendly challenge that doesn't put you in the klink.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 06-12-19, 06:57 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Hr1
No, actually it is not.

If a cop’s beat was strictly on paved roads and suspects had the courtesy to stay on those paved roads (on foot or on bike, and not in a car) while you chase them, then your scenario might make sense..... except that a car would work a whole lot better and what would the point be of being on a bike?

The whole point of the bikes is to expand the beat cops range.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-12-19, 06:57 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
is a bike better than a horse?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 06-12-19, 07:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
At this point, I think we're beating a dead bike.

Silly thread from a low information OP.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-12-19, 07:16 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I think the more relevant question here is....

Is the OP is less informed about:
a) bikes
b) urban policing

Discuss.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-12-19, 07:20 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Tried the horse's mouth ?

You Ask your local Constable, why, yet ?
Old 06-12-19, 07:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Is the OP is less informed about:
a) bikes
b) urban policing
Yes.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-12-19, 07:23 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Bike Dog - RENO 911! (Video Clip) | Comedy Central
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2za7om
Goes better with police short shorts

Last edited by hillyman; 06-12-19 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-12-19, 07:36 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I'm pretty sure a horse followed by a human on foot would both be faster up to about 12mph. Beyond that, a bike is quicker and can sustain speeds.

Who else laughed when the OP mentioned bike cops and tactical ops? They are high visibility and generally there to keep things rolling along smoothly. As someone mentioned upthread, they have radios if things get more serious.

Likes For rosefarts:
Old 06-12-19, 07:36 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by Hr1
No, no it is not. Your scenario is based on the premise that you are not a bike cop and have 0 experience in law enforcement aside from watching a few cop shows.
Old 06-12-19, 07:37 AM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
I helped a mid-sized city's bicycle officers train many weeks. Some of them developed into serious cyclists, but for a good part, it was a place for the PD to put officers who weren't meeting their physical requirements. More delicate road bikes would have been a maintenance problem for some of the less-experienced riders, and especially for the better riders using more... vigorous riding styles.
Most of the job was patrolling parks, downtown, and other areas where vehicular traffic was excluded or just so congested as to be useless. I did accompany them on longer rides, for fitness purposes, which they realized they weren't getting from just noodling around the park.

There's a LOT of curb hopping, crossing grass, etc. on a normal police bike, and the adapted mtb they chose did the job really well. Though they had a lighter loadout than most of the rest of the force, they still packed on enough gear that a road bike wouldn't be the greatest thing in the world for them, all of the above considered.

The greatest direct benefits (remember, for any 'real' and dangerous issues, they all had radios) for the PD were:
-They weren't driving around in a steel and glass cage. More accessible, and had to learn to interact with the public constantly. This helps to alleviate the 'rolling fortress' mentality.
-Officers who needed more physical activity, so as not to appear to be the stereotypical Uniformed Donut Muncher.
-Provide a Police Presence in areas where cars are either excluded or unwieldy, with a LOT more mobility than a foot patrol
-etc...

I have my own opinions about police practices and whether/how they enforce certain laws (not for this forum, however), but I did really like what they were doing with the bicycle program.
In my experience riding with these folks, I'm pretty sure trying to use road bikes would not have worked out well.

...and, for the record I'm a roadie.
Old 06-12-19, 07:42 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Police on Trek Y11's...

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 06-12-19 at 07:48 AM.
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 06-12-19, 07:49 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Our PD use a MTB from Giant and Cannondale. considering they are riding heavyish bikes they are actually pretty damn fast when they need to be. They can take them anyplace and are very effective on the MUP. they can go where the motorcycles can't and are also a great PR tool.

Another thing is they can get through events and such with ease that a person of foot/car/motorcycle can't. Bikes are a great tool in very urban high population settings.

Also they buy their bikes on the bidding process so who ever can give them the best deal wins. Our local shop sells our PD their bikes and I know for a fact it must also include free service except for the parts. Labor is part of the contract.

I just added to keep this kind of ridicules thread going
Old 06-12-19, 07:56 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
ummm ...

Likes For rumrunn6:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.