Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Has anyone converted preformnace lights

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Has anyone converted preformnace lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-06, 08:06 PM
Bikehead
The good looking one

Bikes: gary fisher, Schwinn Woodland

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello All

I have a dual preformnace bike light. With MR-11 bulbs. Has anyone converted the 6 volt lights,to 12 volts,need to know where to find the bulbs, and is heat a problem with 12 volts. Already have the 12 volt water bottle 12 volt 10Ah battery. Just need to know where to find MR11,small enough to fit preformace
headlight housings. I will need at least a 20 watt bulb. or two 10's

Bikehead

May the sun always be in your face
And the wind at your back
Old 01-08-06, 08:24 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Heat doesn't depend on voltage, it depends on wattage. Watts is the amount of power that's being dissipated. A 10 watt 6 volt lamp is drawing 10/6=1.6 amps. A 10 watt 12 volt lamp is drawing 10/12=0.83 amps. They should both be generating about the same amount of heat, though. Unless the 12 volt one is more efficient (that is, for the same amount of power burned, it generates a greater percentage of it as light rather than heat). But I don't think the efficiency changes that much based on voltage.
Old 01-10-06, 07:05 PM
kgaren
Cycling since 98

Bikes: '14 Seven Axiom Steel Chorus; '18 Nashbar Cyclocross Sora; '17 Nashbar Steel Touring; 06 Leader Carbon road;

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought an old viewpoint dual 6 volt system wo/battery. I purchased a 14.8 l-ion battery as well as 12v mr11 bulbs - very cheap < $2 from ebay/batteryspace. Have not ridden with that setup yet. We'll see what bulb life I get, but if I get 50 hours / bulb I will consider that acceptable. Only 4 cents / hour.
Old 01-10-06, 09:36 PM
bikecase

Bikes: 2005 Lightfoot explorer LWB Recumbent, Bike E CT XL, Bianchi 20" Folding Bike ( I am fixing this one up to use at work for picking up samples )

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can get MR-11 bulbs at Home Depot. They come in different styles so be aware of spot, flood, etc. Also different wattages too.

Battery Space also has thier own web space besides being on EBay. www.batteryspace.com

Steve
Old 01-10-06, 11:47 PM
2wheeledsoul
Gatoraid powered engine

Bikes: A mixed-breed beater util/commute rigid hybrid I frankensteined out of assorted resqued components, called "Streetdancer". Ugly as sin, yet beautiful in function.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
12v bulbs are easier to find than 6v, usually cheaper, and in a broader range of wattages and beam angles. Going 12v pays off.