Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Looking for cheap lugs and tubes.

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 10-22-07, 11:49 AM
Aloyzius
Thawing Member

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Soma ES, Vintage Bob Jackson Audax, Raleigh Frankenbike., Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Alloro.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Now why would anyone want cheap lugs and tubes? Well, because I'm playing around with brazing at my dad's welding shop, and am approaching the desire to build a frame. Mostly, I think it would be cool to try out, even if it's unlikely I will be able to build myself an actual rideable frame the first time. Or the second. Or maybe the....

So if you have any ideas, I would love to hear them. Obviously, steel is my material of choice. And while I've seen some really nice welded frames, they just never grab my interest the way lugged ones do.
Old 10-22-07, 11:50 AM
Aloyzius
Thawing Member

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Soma ES, Vintage Bob Jackson Audax, Raleigh Frankenbike., Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Alloro.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
also if you know of good books, manuals, or other resources for info, I would love to hear about those too.
Old 10-22-07, 04:15 PM
acorn_user

Bikes: Dawes Kalahari, Puch Prima Super Sport, Graham Weigh 853

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The famous manual is the Paterek manual. Ceeway keep cheaper lugs and tubes to practice on.
Old 10-22-07, 06:28 PM
NoReg
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You can also practice by getting tubing that sleeves inside other tubing, like a piece of 1" tube sleeved with a piece of 1.125" with.058 walls, standard 4130 stuff. Also some builders have seconds, probably needs to be builders that make their own lugs. Search the forum, it has been mentioned before. I would get the Paternek video, lugs version, if you can. It can be rented.
Old 10-22-07, 09:43 PM
ong

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nova Cycle Supply has a set of stamped lugs for $14. And Aircraft Spruce has straight-gauge 4130 for a few bucks a foot...
Old 10-23-07, 06:53 AM
Aloyzius
Thawing Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sweet. thanks guys. I will post some photos, when the time comes, if they aren't too embarrassing.
Old 10-25-07, 10:15 AM
superhotbug

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have some lugs that are used for exxon graftek frames, slightly tapered on the inside, that you can have, need your address, the first frames I built, I took apart old larger frames and remade them to my size.
Old 11-01-07, 06:54 PM
Aloyzius
Thawing Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dude, you rule. That's super nice of you.