Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Where to buy disc SS hubs or wheels?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-08, 08:48 PM
biknbrian

Bikes: BiknBrian brand custom 26 inch commuter trekker, Cannondale F600 Single Speeded MTB, Nashbar Cro-Mo CX, some other bikes and parts that could be made into bikes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking to replace the nine speed wheelset on my MTB with a 26" disc specific SS wheelset. I would consider buying a prebuilt wheelset, but can't seem to find anyone selling such a thing. Is there anyone selling sub $300 (sub $200 would be nice) wheelsets

I may have to built a wheelset which is fine if a bit more expensive, but I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars for each hub. I'm considering Surly hubs which seem to be widely available. Also I've heard mention of Formula hubs, but don't know where to buy them. Are there any other brands that are around $100 per hub and if so where could I buy them? My LBS or some online retailers can provide Surly's, but I'd like to have other options.
Old 01-04-08, 08:56 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm confused. Why are you looking to replace your wheelset? Is it trashed? Is it non-disc? Can't you just get a singlespeed kit and a tensioner (if needed)?
Old 01-04-08, 08:59 PM
jimisnowhere

Bikes: 60's lowrider, 80's Cavaletto Centurion, 94 Specialized Rockhopper sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't most people use a standard freehub with spacers to place the cog? Or do you mean a fixed disk hub?
Old 01-04-08, 09:06 PM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jimisnowhere
Don't most people use a standard freehub with spacers to place the cog?
Yes they do. And the OP should better do the same, to save lots of money and time.
Old 01-06-08, 03:48 PM
biknbrian

Bikes: BiknBrian brand custom 26 inch commuter trekker, Cannondale F600 Single Speeded MTB, Nashbar Cro-Mo CX, some other bikes and parts that could be made into bikes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimisnowhere
Don't most people use a standard freehub with spacers to place the cog? Or do you mean a fixed disk hub?
This is what I'm doing now, but my wife wants to put disc brakes on her bike and needs wheels. If I got new wheels she could use my current nine speed disc wheel set. Then I could put her rim brake only wheels on my 26" commuter whose rims are getting quite worn from years of braking. It would solve two issues and net me some new wheels. Plus I just bought a truing stand and would like to try a complete wheel build just because I like to tinker.
Old 01-07-08, 10:48 AM
fatbat
spinspinspinspin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nashbar disc hubs

pair one of those with any front disc hub, and you're rolling.