Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

wrong fork, wrong wheel set, or...?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-08, 04:56 PM
spiritrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am guessing that frame builders will know the source of my problem. If I'm in the wrong forum, I apologize.
I recently inherited a 2004 or 2005 Trek carbon bike. On my first ride, I could hear rubbing, so kept checking the brakes. I finally determined that the rubbing is caused by the top of the tire rubbing against the front fork. I can eliminate the rubbing by deflating the tire somewhat, but think that the tire/wheel shouldn't fit so tightly in the fork. Could it be that the bike was built with the wrong fork? Are the wheels the wrong size for the bike? Here are the particulars: frame = 52, wheels = Mavic SSC (622 x 13), tires = Performance Pro Roubaix (700 x 23/ 23-622). Any insights into this problem and how to solve it would be much appreciated.
Old 06-11-08, 06:32 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Trek made/makes a number of frames for 650C wheels, especially in smaller frame sizes like yours. It seems likely that this is what you've got. Is the rear wheel the same as the front, and if so, how is the clearance?
Old 06-11-08, 07:06 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This might be one for the Mechanics forum, actually.

I can't tell: did you buy the bike used? If so, it's hard to imagine that the original purchaser wouldn't have noticed if the fork or wheels were the wrong size. I have an older Trek carbon bike and the clearance between the tires and the frame is pretty limited. Any chance the tires are something other than 700x23? My bike will fit a 700x28, but it's a very tight fit.

Does the tire rub against the fork continuously? Or is it fine most of the time and only occasionally makes contact? How old are the tires and tubes? Aside from the tire rubbing, does the bike ride straight?
Old 06-11-08, 09:49 PM
spiritrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
Trek made/makes a number of frames for 650C wheels, especially in smaller frame sizes like yours. It seems likely that this is what you've got. Is the rear wheel the same as the front, and if so, how is the clearance?
The front and rear wheels are the same size. Clearance on the rear tire is substantial. Clearance on the front tire is less than 1/8 inch. If I inflate the tire to suggested pounds, I cannot turn the wheel.-
Old 06-11-08, 09:53 PM
spiritrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
This might be one for the Mechanics forum, actually.

I can't tell: did you buy the bike used? If so, it's hard to imagine that the original purchaser wouldn't have noticed if the fork or wheels were the wrong size. I have an older Trek carbon bike and the clearance between the tires and the frame is pretty limited. Any chance the tires are something other than 700x23? My bike will fit a 700x28, but it's a very tight fit.

Does the tire rub against the fork continuously? Or is it fine most of the time and only occasionally makes contact? How old are the tires and tubes? Aside from the tire rubbing, does the bike ride straight?
Conintuously, yes. I notice that if I go over a bump, it increases the "drag" for a few feet. If I get the tiniest bit of melted asphalt on the tire, it causes the tire to "stick" on each revolution.

The tires say 700 x 23 (23 - 622) on the side.

The bike rides straight and I can't see that the fork has been damaged in any way.
Old 06-11-08, 10:43 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spiritrider
Conintuously, yes. I notice that if I go over a bump, it increases the "drag" for a few feet. If I get the tiniest bit of melted asphalt on the tire, it causes the tire to "stick" on each revolution.

The tires say 700 x 23 (23 - 622) on the side.

The bike rides straight and I can't see that the fork has been damaged in any way.
Based on what you've told me, it sounds like the wheels are true (or at least close enough), that the frame and fork are relatively straight. And we'll have to assume that the tire is correctly marked. Perhaps Six jours is right and the bike does have a 650C fork on it for some reason. Maybe it started out as a 650C bike and then someone mounted 700C wheels on it? The diameters are close enough (622mm vs. 571mm)

You could probably check the fork by measuring from the center of the axle to the crown race/headset. I looked at data sheets from a few 700c road forks and it looks like 365-375mm is pretty typical. I couldn't find as many 650C forks, but the measurements on the ones I did find were 338-345mm. If you take the difference in length between the longest 650C fork and the shortest 700c fork, it's 20mm or just over 3/4"... which would be just enough to give your current tires/wheels the clearance they need.
Old 06-11-08, 10:57 PM
spiritrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
Based on what you've told me, it sounds like the wheels are true (or at least close enough), that the frame and fork are relatively straight. And we'll have to assume that the tire is correctly marked. Perhaps Six jours is right and the bike does have a 650C fork on it for some reason. Maybe it started out as a 650C bike and then someone mounted 700C wheels on it? The diameters are close enough (622mm vs. 571mm)

You could probably check the fork by measuring from the center of the axle to the crown race/headset. I looked at data sheets from a few 700c road forks and it looks like 365-375mm is pretty typical. I couldn't find as many 650C forks, but the measurements on the ones I did find were 338-345mm. If you take the difference in length between the longest 650C fork and the shortest 700c fork, it's 20mm or just over 3/4"... which would be just enough to give your current tires/wheels the clearance they need.
Many thanks. I'll check the measurements and will let you know what I discover.