Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

First Official Folding Bike Thread!! :) Name Your Bike!

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

First Official Folding Bike Thread!! :) Name Your Bike!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-16, 08:09 PM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by LrnFzx
I used a pair of roll cage couplers
that's brilliant, sir. good job.
Old 08-10-16, 05:14 AM
LrnFzx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smallwheeler
that's brilliant, sir. good job.
Thanks. I just wanted a bike like the Ritchey Breakaway and the S&S couplers aren't sold to a simpleton like me so I went with couplers from Eastwood. The originals were 1" diameter but I can't find them any more. They're thick and heavy but they work well for what I want.
Old 08-14-16, 10:44 AM
JoDon

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i travel a lot in a motorhome, and need to be able to bike while on the road. However I had no where to stow a full sized bike. I considered a ladder mounted or hitch mounted bike, but for various reasons decided against those options. I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg until I tried this to see how it works. So I bought a bottom of the line Stowabike It is a 26" mountain bike because many campgrounds are dirt/gravel and I use a mountain bike at home on my dirt road. Only complaint is that one of the shifts is VERY hard to use. It won't fit in the basement of the motorhome, and getting it in and out of the trunk is not easy as I have a very small tow car. Considering looking at the hitch options again.
Old 08-14-16, 11:21 AM
byhsu

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JoDon:

Have you checked the Military MTB foldable bike yet? just google "Montague Paratrooper Pro Folding Bike"
Old 08-14-16, 02:08 PM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by byhsu
JoDon:

Have you checked the Military MTB foldable bike yet? just google "Montague Paratrooper Pro Folding Bike"
Good choice: https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bi...e-cracked.html
Old 08-14-16, 11:43 PM
foldingdroid

Bikes: Birdy Monocoque, Riteway Glacier, Gios Antico

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does anyone have an experience ordering online on BikeGang? (bikegang.ecwid.com) Thank you.
Old 08-21-16, 07:54 PM
glorybe3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steel Rims

Originally Posted by bluebird1952
I have an old 70's raleigh compact, its been modified a bit but it still has the original 3 speed sturmey archer gears and I have gone back to steel rims after breaking 2 alloy rears, if it has one drawback its heavy but I need a strong bike as I mainly ride old rail trails and canal towpaths.
Steel rims are a huge issue in the bicycle community. Frankly I feel that steel is more durable. The world seems to disagree with me. I will say that we need something better than the usual chrome job on steel bicycle wheels as rust and bubbling can be a real problem unless you have a lot of time to clean and polish etc.. The same is true for a good steel frame. There is simply no way, that in the long term, aluminum competes with steel. Aluminum accumulates stress and eventually fails. Steel does not accumulate stress.
Also there are many people who enjoy riding folders with 20 inch wheels for various reasons. For me it is arthritis in the hips. I can get on and off a folder without strain. Yet i do not need the folding feature. Yet almost all regular 20 inch wheel bikes are designed for children. I wish that was not so.
Old 08-22-16, 12:23 AM
stearman65

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My First Folding Bike

After a Tracer Trike & A Pashley TRi-1 Folding Trike. I feel confident to get back into conventional cycling after a 60 year layoff with a Claud Butler Stratos Folding Bike. Collected it from the previous owner Saturday & yesterday gave it a trial on our apartment car park.
See YouTube video.
Old 09-07-16, 03:38 AM
Rick Imby

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I hate Hate HATE this forum. I was happy with my Dahon with 7 speed internal for that occasional use.
After reading parts of this thread I went and looked at the Xootr Swift. Needless to say my wallet is significantly lighter today. I ordered a couple and the Rack/Bag combos.

I have always been afraid of my internal 7 speed hub because of potential issues--- that I have never had. I love that I can dis assemble the very simple 8 speed Swift and pack into my large suitcase. I can feel a few upgrades coming---larger chainring, Ergon Grips, one of My saddles. Xooter shipped my new bikes the same day I ordered them---I am excited.
Old 09-18-16, 10:51 PM
bjorke
Idealistic Troublemaker

Bikes: Friday, Brompton, Soma, Fuji, Haro, No_Name...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My latest: "Challenger"

Brompton P6R is my fifth folder...

Old 09-25-16, 11:37 PM
stearman65

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have sold my Claude Butler Stratos & bought an ICE Adventure trike, so I suppose I will be retiring from this section. My wife however still has her Dahon C5 Ciao, but I doubt she would venture into the forum & hopefully I can persuade her to turn to triking?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eric_s...posted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eric_s...posted-public/

https://vimeo.com/184203382

Last edited by stearman65; 09-25-16 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-01-16, 12:28 AM
Western Flyer 

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Came out of the box as a Dahon MU with 1x8 external drive. Now is a pocket tourer with 2x8 internal drive. Not done with the modifications but really happy so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20160813_223224-1.jpg (98.4 KB, 566 views)
File Type: jpg
14752273656182-2.jpg (99.1 KB, 565 views)

- Gordon Hempton: One Square inch of Silence
Old 11-04-16, 05:19 AM
ronaldtiglao

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My new folding bikes

Hi everyone I m a newbie here in bike forum and just got a trinx folding dolphin 2.0 maybe somebody can help me I m looking for a folding bike group to associate with and have fun group ride.
Old 11-05-16, 03:11 AM
TrishY

Bikes: Raleigh Shopper and a Townsend folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 12-11-16, 11:16 AM
vodwood

Bikes: Brompton, Kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A passion project...

Old 12-25-16, 04:08 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 452 Posts
Picked up a Xmas present for my wife.

Old 01-23-17, 11:25 AM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Hello,

Finally purchased my first folder and this site was a great resource for someone looking to buy one. I was a bit apprehensive as the bikes are smaller and I am 6'2", but I wanted something to jump on and off the train for a Boston commute.

LL Bean had a 25% off sale and I am a huge fan of their return protection so I grabbed the Dahon C7A for $299. I was like a kid at Christmas and even though it was my day off I found myself pedaling to the train station because I just had to try it out. Pedaled throughout the weekend and found the size and quality really good and I tend to hold on to my bikes...though I can see how one can become addicted to "the next one". I top out too easy on the 7th gear and will probably go to a 56t crank in the spring, but will keep pedaling for awhile before modifying anything.

Anywho that is my story and I want to say thank you for this awesome resource.
Old 01-23-17, 01:37 PM
bromptoneer

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I had a Dahon eezz D3 but sold it and got my self a Brompton Special Edition 2017 model.
Old 02-16-17, 09:22 AM
rigidan

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
T5 Traveller

Need a retro clip
Old 02-23-17, 11:26 AM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by bjorke
Brompton P6R is my fifth folder...
Nice @bjorke You're right next to where I work. Will have to keep an eye out for your Brompton. I have a really nice Birdy but still have Brompton envy.
Old 03-02-17, 09:30 PM
Guiyoforward

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi! Newbie here. I have a Tern Joe p24... Very happy with it! It is luggable, not really portable, but it fits in my trunk so I can take it anywhere.
Old 03-05-17, 07:52 PM
WildGrok

Bikes: Stowaway, Diamondback, Citizenbike, Origami, Dahon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My latest folding bike - Stowaway Electric

Behold the Stowaway with a rear motor 36v 250w.
Other changes were the higher handlebar, the seat ,the bike stand and the addition of the Ibera rack
I am very happy with it: runs well, nice suspension, no noise in breaks. Hills are a breeze with it. I have measured speed up to 31 km/h on flat ground, no wind
Weight from factory after assembled 38.4 lbs. Have not weighted it after the conversion to electric, I assume it should be like 20 lbs more
Attached Images
Old 03-06-17, 08:18 PM
Guiyoforward

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WildGrok
Behold the Stowaway with a rear motor 36v 250w.
Other changes were the higher handlebar, the seat ,the bike stand and the addition of the Ibera rack
I am very happy with it: runs well, nice suspension, no noise in breaks. Hills are a breeze with it. I have measured speed up to 31 km/h on flat ground, no wind
Weight from factory after assembled 38.4 lbs. Have not weighted it after the conversion to electric, I assume it should be like 20 lbs more
Really nice conversion! Did you ride it at all without the motor? It doesn't have very good press but it looks nice to me - much nicer with your upgrades of course
Old 03-07-17, 09:06 AM
WildGrok

Bikes: Stowaway, Diamondback, Citizenbike, Origami, Dahon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is very good for its price

Originally Posted by Guiyoforward
Really nice conversion! Did you ride it at all without the motor? It doesn't have very good press but it looks nice to me - much nicer with your upgrades of course
I rode it for testing for some days before the conversion. I was impressed by the zero noise of the brakes, nice suspension and decent shifting. It is replacing a Hyper Shocker walmart bike (not folder) with very similar specs (18 speeds, almost same weight) and I liked this much better.
Bike is not a speed demon, but neither was the Hyper Shocker.
For the price I think it is a very excellent deal in Amazon (and the shipping was super fast)
Old 03-10-17, 12:59 AM
Peg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycle Tote

Hi,

Just joined this forum, saw thread for Sears Cycle Totes. Anyone out there still have a Cycle Tote? Mine's
a 1966 3 speed, gold. It was my 91 year old father's, he gave it to me last summer, I've got it cleaned and polished pretty nicely.
Getting new tires soon, and I'll be off and riding!

Also have an Electric Assist bike, and a hybrid Raleigh that I ride almost daily. The electric assist got me back into riding, the Raleigh is my favorite to ride now that I've gotten into riding shape.

Started riding bikes again recently, after 30 years of not being on a bike. I'm hooked, and loving it! I'd forgotten how great bike riding is, the joy I feel on a bike.

Hope to hear from someone......anyone.......??

Thanks!
Peg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.