Old 11-15-10, 11:13 PM
mddang

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Houston- Brays Bayou path at night

Hi, I have been toying with the idea of commuting into the Med Center from the SW side of town. The route would look something like this: .

Most of the riding would be done along the Brays Bayou. I would get on the path by about 6:30am, and I would head home any time between 3pm-9pm. Does anyone know if this trail is safe to ride at night? I have a set of Dinotte taillights and headlights for visibility, but I'm more concerned about the possibility of thieves and criminals.

Thanks.
Old 11-15-10, 11:41 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Here locally, I generally avoid the bike paths at night not because of thieves and criminals, but just because they're creepy. I'd rather stay out on the road at night.
Old 11-16-10, 06:30 AM
scattered73
Justin

Bikes: Soma Double Cross, KHS Urban Uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are some homeless people that live under some of the bridges. I have ridden at night a more quite a few times without any issues by myself and with others. Though some of those homless people a certified crazy one night I heard one yelling at satan on the brasewood trail. I agree with stephen it is creepy on the trails doable but creepy, this time a year add the fog and you feel like you are in bad horror flick. I have had other really strange experiences at night on the trails and in the parks none aggressive just creepy. I try to bring peper spray when I ride at night by myself. The cool thing is you will most likely have the trail to yourself.
Old 11-16-10, 03:06 PM
Rex G

Bikes: Bianchi Alloro, Veloce, San Remo, Pista; Rivendell Canti Rom; Zinn custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Joggers are out there! You will have to move slow and be very alert to be safe from colliding with them, particularly the ones who get into their own little zone and are paying no attention to anything. Swarms of insects will add a challenge at certain times; it depends upon how you feel about bugs.

Safety? I will ride ANY time of day or night just about anywhere. Along Braes Bayou, however, the bums that sleep under those bridges can be quite possessive of their "territory," so be ready for that possibility, but I worry more about colliding with them or their possessions than being attacked by bums. At the times mentioned in the original post, I think any trouble with bums will be minimal.

Criminals, as opposed to mere homeless bums, well, I am not sure any place is truly "safe." Cyclists, in general, are not targeted by criminals, so take that for what it's worth.

Please do use really good lights!

Last edited by Rex G; 11-16-10 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-17-10, 10:54 PM
mddang

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried commuting today. The morning ride was great. Started at Fry's Electronics at 59 & W. Bellfort at about 7:15am. Went east on W. Bellfort, north on S. Gessner, and I rode the Bray's Bayou trail the rest of the way.

The ride home was along the same route, but in the opposite direction. Everything went smoothly until I got to W. Bellfort. I had an ass in the left lane yell at me from his car as he passed me, and another ass in a truck kept honking while we waited for the red light at W. Bellfort and Beltway 8. Ghetto turds. I know this kind of stuff happens everywhere, but still..

This is why I love the suburbs.
Old 11-17-10, 10:58 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
I get it the suburbs everyday. Just blow it off.

Old 11-17-10, 11:11 PM
mddang

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, after turning my head to see where it came from, I ignored it.

It stinks that I would have to ride through such a bad area of town to reach the bike trail. I spent an hour trying to reroute my commute on Google Maps this evening, and there is no way of avoiding the ghetto.
Old 11-17-10, 11:13 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
I just wave at them most of the time.

Old 11-20-10, 10:34 PM
aggarcia

Bikes: 14 Ridely Noah RS, 09 Trek 2.1, 10 Trek 7.1 FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live at S. Gessner and Bissonnet, so I know the bayou trail very well. The only issues are those mentioned with homeless people sleeping under the bridges near the medical center and joggers/walkers not paying attention. I used to commute out to the Sugarcreek area and I am surprised about the issues you are having on West Belfort. I was going the opposite direction of traffic so I never had any issues with cars. Never had any criminal trouble in the 10 years and thousands on miles on the bayou.
Old 11-21-10, 09:23 PM
Rex G

Bikes: Bianchi Alloro, Veloce, San Remo, Pista; Rivendell Canti Rom; Zinn custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is no easy answer for the buttheads behind the wheels of motor vehicles. I generally do not verbalize anything, and NEVER use the one-finger salute. I have been known to give them a certain look, long enough to imply contempt but not long enough to be considered a challenge to fight. This is a subtle art.