Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Biking after total knee replacement

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Biking after total knee replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-14, 03:24 PM
MikeD1

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Kona Dew, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrierman
62 YO. TKR on right knee set for 8/19/14, left knee TKR on 11/18/14. Been pre-habbing a lot riding and lifting + losing some weight - about 30 lbs. so far. Doc says riding won't be an issue and is a great form of exercise post TKR.
All the best to you on a speedy rehab and recovery. I'm betting that the pre-habbing you're doing and the weight loss will pay big dividends for you.
Old 08-03-14, 01:55 PM
Ol Danl

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Record, 1987 Schwinn Prelude, 1971 Raleigh Record, 1988 Schwinn Traveler, 1967 (?) Carlton Super Course, 1959 Huffy Sportsman 3 speed, 1972 Raleigh Super Course, yet another 70-something Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I had knee surgery 7/23. Reconstruction of the ligament that holds the kneecap to femur, a chunk of cartilage knocked out, requiring something called microfracture, and a torn meniscus, that I'm not sure if it was removed or what yet. Return visit to the doctor is this Wed. Have had 3 PT visits, and with much work, got a 65 degree flex of the knee. 90 degrees in six weeks is one goal. Needless to say I can't do a full rev of the bike pedals yet. This knee was injected 4 years ago, and before that, the only trouble it gave was when it popped out when I was 18.
Old 08-03-14, 10:53 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Now that I'm over 50, I had a left TKR Nov of 2010. I do have a thread over in the Clydes section. The first revolution on the exercise bike was murderous. But they got easier. My therapist made me slow down frequently. I was off work for 5 weeks, and they worked with me coming back. By the fourth month I was carrying weights and loads I hadn't in years. I don't recall when I rode for the first time, but I was terrified of falling, I didn't wish to see the metal. At 7 months, I jumped off the back of an ATV, nearly three feet, to see how it felt. By this point my mileage was up on the real bike and exercise bike, and, I was running. I had to work through other injuries along the way, but not related to my knee.

Just over 9 months post op, I crashed on a fast downhill. Front tire went flat and I landed bad. Broke my neck and back and did other damage. Surgery the day after added 2 rods and ten screws to my back, and a plastic shell was my home for a while. I wore a neck brace a couple months after losing the shell. Funny thing... My fear of falling was so intense, that I kept asking if my knee was OK! Not even a scratch. Practically the only thing I didn't road rash.

Fears are rational. Fears are real. Fears can be strong. It took almost two years for me to get on a bike, and it was difficult to pick up my feet. But I did last year, even if it was only in a store... My knee is as strong as it ever was. My other knee is doing pretty good. My head, well, it wants to ride. Fear is holding me back. But I won't let it win. I will ride something before the end of this month.

Sorry to drive off the deep end. But my TKR was and still is, one of the best things I've ever done. I will not waste time in pain when the other one is ready. Who knows, someday, I might even run again...
Old 08-11-14, 02:16 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
TKR on Wednesday 8.6. So now I'm 6 days post op. Already walking on the knee, if very gingerly, but once I am warmed up I can put full weight on it and take steps, even with my very limited range of motion (22º extension, 65º flexion so far). Still on opiates for the post surgical pain, but that's improving. I'm amazed I can already limp/walk on this leg. Hope to get enough range of motion to pedal a stationary bike by the end of August. Hope to be on a real bicycle by late September/early October. I think that's realistic. We'll see. I'm in a rehab hospital now, should be home Tuesday or Wednesday.
Old 08-11-14, 08:10 AM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
TKR on Wednesday 8.6. So now I'm 6 days post op. Already walking on the knee, if very gingerly, but once I am warmed up I can put full weight on it and take steps, even with my very limited range of motion (22º extension, 65º flexion so far). Still on opiates for the post surgical pain, but that's improving. I'm amazed I can already limp/walk on this leg. Hope to get enough range of motion to pedal a stationary bike by the end of August. Hope to be on a real bicycle by late September/early October. I think that's realistic. We'll see. I'm in a rehab hospital now, should be home Tuesday or Wednesday.
Best wishes to you in your recovery. Keep us posted about your progress in therapy and recovery. I am scheduled for January.
Old 08-11-14, 08:53 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I'm probably having TKR surgery next week. I'll report back here. I haven't ridden less than 7,000 miles in a year in 10 years or so, that's less than when I was going 10-14K miles annually, but still a lot compared to most cyclists, even enthusiasts and some racers. I will be a good guinea pig for how successful somebody can be returning to the road bike after this procedure. I'm older (56, I turn 57 in November) but not really quite elderly, still middle aged, and in better than average condition, even with the 20+ lbs I've gained since I stopped riding as much. I'd like to just get thinner and ride 200 or so miles weekly. We'll see how it goes. Hope to be on a real road bike by October if I do have that surgery in early August. From what I've read from other experiences that doesn't seem too unrealistic.
Good luck.
Old 08-12-14, 07:33 PM
Miami Biker

Bikes: 2018 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 404s 2014 Cervelo R5, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Way to go patentcad. Keep up the exercises. I was only riding an exercise bike before and after TKR. Didn't rush to go back on but did walk every day and religiously did my exercises.

Listen to your body and build up all your muscles. Bike can come sooner or later once your body is ready. Funny the day after surgery they had me cycling my knee in the hospital. Hmmmm.
Old 08-13-14, 07:56 AM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's great news and very encouraging to me. Keep it up.
Old 08-15-14, 01:33 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Don't push too hard too soon. If you have home health physical therapy, ask who they would see for outpatient therapy. I was lucky to get a family friend for my home phase. And I went to the guy she suggested. I still have all the range of motion, plus a little more, I left therapy with. I saw him again after breaking my back. A good therapist learns how hard or gentle to work with you on given days. Timelines given for recovery are rarely accurate. Everyone heals differently. I gained 2 degrees more ROM after leaving therapy, so don't get too wrapped up in timelines...
Old 08-15-14, 07:40 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Hopefully, your recovery will go well and things will jell for you, Pcad, best wishes on your recovery and on your rehab work.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-17-14, 03:32 PM
MacNasty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had TKR in March of this year. I think the normal fear is that you could fall down and break your knee. Anyone would be hard pressed to break these new titanium knees, I won't say it's impossible, but.......... I started back riding in June and other than a few aches and pains there hasn't been a problem. There is a slight discomfort the first mile but after I get the kinks worked out it is just fine. Most issues revolve around the circular range of motion with the top dead center being the most stressful. They probably had you on a stationary bike for rehab, you just need to get over the fear of falling off the bike and breaking the knee. You may fall of the bike but it's doubtful that anything would break.
Old 08-17-14, 11:00 PM
zjrog

Yes! I was afraid of falling and having the knee laid open so all could see the shiny metal bits... When I crashed though, my knee was about the only part of me that wasn't rashed or busted up... GO figure!
Old 08-23-14, 02:43 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

I'm now 17 days post op. Walking on it without crutches or cane, going to physical therapy 3x weekly. Range of motion roughly 12º-90º. Doctor is happy with my progress, so am I. Hoping to be on an indoor exercise bike @ rehab by mid-late Sept and on a real road bike a couple of weeks after that. We'll see.
Old 08-23-14, 07:27 AM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I'm now 17 days post op. Walking on it without crutches or cane, going to physical therapy 3x weekly. Range of motion roughly 12º-90º. Doctor is happy with my progress, so am I. Hoping to be on an indoor exercise bike @ rehab by mid-late Sept and on a real road bike a couple of weeks after that. We'll see.
That is great progress! Keep at it and as they always say, don't over do it! Looks as if you are on your way to a range of motion that will ensure you return to cycling.
Old 08-23-14, 09:42 AM
zjrog

Indeed, great progress. I got away with pushing limits, not everyone does. Stay on top of swelling with lots of icing and elevation. My torturer, er, therapist, had me on an indoor bike fairly soon. The first times over are easier pedaling backwards. His favorite method is get you where you can turn the pedals without much discomfort, then slides the seat forward a notch. My favorites are wall slides and he used a Total Gym like device, both were good stretches for flexion.

Don't be discouraged if you have a visit or two and have a setback. It happens. And some days the knee just doesn't want therapy. You know your body more than anyone. You can tell the therapist to stuff it if the knee can't do what is asked of it. Its better than more pain and excessive swelling.
Old 08-23-14, 03:04 PM
Miami Biker

Bikes: 2018 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 404s 2014 Cervelo R5, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Mr patentcad sounds like good progress. Not been that long. In my case my leg muscles were cut and had to use other leg to raise TKR'd leg to get in car or in bed. They take a while to heal.

Doing without cane sounds very good along with increasing range of motion. Sounds like time for patient to be patient!
Old 08-23-14, 08:05 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Good progress.
Old 08-24-14, 05:37 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Glad to get a good follow up report on your recovery, PCad. Hope that things continue to go well for you.

Bill

Old 08-25-14, 12:56 PM
Barry Sullivan
denalicon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had my knee done about 10 years ago (am 62 now). Had stiff knee problems after the procedure and was only able to get a bit over 95 degrees of flex back. Have been able to ride by shortening my TKR side crank to about 145cm by using a Crank shortener plus mounting my cleat (SPD) at midsole. I ride about 125 to 150 miles per week averaging between 17 and 18MPH with a fair amount of hill climbing. Biggest advice I can offer for those getting ready for TKR is focus on recovering knee flex not on the implant or getting the greatest surgeon. Make sure your doc knows that you are a biker and must have at least 110 degrees of flex to ride. Rehab is the key but if you aren't getting the flex you need the earlier you get on it with your dock the better chance to fix it as there are options in the first few months after surgery. If you wait too long (longer than 90 days) after the surgery you might not be able to do anything to increase flexion. The other thing I have learned is don't ride with pain. If the knee hurts anywhere in the pedal stroke, you likely will not be able to ride through it and it will probably get worse. Don't figure that riding will increase your rage of motion. It will probably be the opposite as you build up leg strength. As far as activity goes, once I got my setup dialed in, I have not had any issues with overuse. Best of luck with you new knee.
Old 08-27-14, 01:23 PM
the engine
... part of the machine.

Bikes: '15 Raleigh Willard 2, '14 Lynskey Sportive, '10 Lynskey R230, '?? Burley Duet Tandem, various others in various states of mobility.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
July 2, 2012 I received double knee replacements ... August 16, 2014 I became the first person to bicycle up Mt. Washington with knee replacements.

Anyone interested, can go to my website for info on my experience with TNR; https://www.tek-kneescycling.com

Or, PM me, and I will share my experience(s) in TNR, rehabilitation and riding again, and answer any questions you have "based on my experience".

I also ride 200k and centuries frequently.

Posted elsewhere on this site is my "ride report" of the climb.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 08-31-14, 11:16 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

If engine can ride up Mt. Washington on bionic knees, I can make it up Mt. Doom. 25 days post pop. Range of motion last time they measured was 6º-95º. I keep pushing the flexion in every day life, I'm doing the stretching workouts at home daily. Pain levels are erratic, still on percoset, tried coming it off last week, but the pain is still there at times, although much of the time I'm taking them in part to not withdraw, but going through the post-opiate bonk is pointless if you still need them. I'll stay on them at least another ten days I think, but I am down to 3-4 pills daily from 7-8 or more, and then the plan will be to taper to 1-2 per day before I quit them for good in a couple of weeks. They help when the knee flares up, like the last couple of mornings, woke up with pretty significant pain, it took two percosets over 3 hours both mornings to get the pain under control, then it was ok for the rest of the day. The swelling/edema is 80%+ better, which is a good sign, I've spoken to other patients with significant swelling/edema @ 6-10 weeks. I think I'm ahead of the recovery curve in some aspects, right on it with respect to range of motion. My goal is to be on the road bike by October 15 at the latest, I think that remains a realistic goal. You need 110º of comfortable flexion, and I'm only @ 95º pushing it now, so I have a ways to go. I'll be working on it.

I have no doubt that I can ride and ride hard, I know a couple of guys in their 50s who have resumed racing after TKRs. We'll see how motivated I can get once I'm back on the bike, but I sure want to be capable of riding with the racing boys on the weekend shop rides, that would be fun. We'll see.

Last edited by patentcad; 08-31-14 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-01-14, 06:34 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Sounds promising, I was wondering how returning to conquer Mt. Doom figured in to your plans, Pcad. Keeping you on my prayer board list for continued recovery and strength. Best of luck with the continued rehab.

Bill

Old 09-02-14, 05:25 PM
the engine
... part of the machine.

Bikes: '15 Raleigh Willard 2, '14 Lynskey Sportive, '10 Lynskey R230, '?? Burley Duet Tandem, various others in various states of mobility.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If engine can ride up Mt. Washington on bionic knees, I can make it up Mt. Doom. 25 days post pop. Range of motion last time they measured was 6º-95º. I keep pushing the flexion in every day life, I'm doing the stretching workouts at home daily. Pain levels are erratic, still on percoset, tried coming it off last week, but the pain is still there at times, although much of the time I'm taking them in part to not withdraw, but going through the post-opiate bonk is pointless if you still need them. I'll stay on them at least another ten days I think, but I am down to 3-4 pills daily from 7-8 or more, and then the plan will be to taper to 1-2 per day before I quit them for good in a couple of weeks. They help when the knee flares up, like the last couple of mornings, woke up with pretty significant pain, it took two percosets over 3 hours both mornings to get the pain under control, then it was ok for the rest of the day. The swelling/edema is 80%+ better, which is a good sign, I've spoken to other patients with significant swelling/edema @ 6-10 weeks. I think I'm ahead of the recovery curve in some aspects, right on it with respect to range of motion. My goal is to be on the road bike by October 15 at the latest, I think that remains a realistic goal. You need 110º of comfortable flexion, and I'm only @ 95º pushing it now, so I have a ways to go. I'll be working on it.

I have no doubt that I can ride and ride hard, I know a couple of guys in their 50s who have resumed racing after TKRs. We'll see how motivated I can get once I'm back on the bike, but I sure want to be capable of riding with the racing boys on the weekend shop rides, that would be fun. We'll see.
Pcad,

It's all about the rehab ... be patient!!

This article may help: https://www.tek-kneescycling.com/reh...d-cycling.html

Best of luck to you. Let me know if I can help in any way.

The Engine
Old 09-02-14, 08:11 PM
Srcpt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all, I've been a physical therapist for forty+ years and have helped hundreds of people rehab after TKR surgery. My mother, older brother and older sister have all had both knees replaced, so my genetics point toward a knee replacement or two in my future. I see no inherent problem with cycling after surgery as long as you have gained sufficient ROM to accommodate the full revolution of the crank with some extra ROM for a cushion. As far as falling, your more likely to injure some other body part than the mechanical knee. They are extremely durable. However, be aware that infection after an injury where there is a break in the skin, represents an additional hazard when there is a foreign implant. All this said, and I am going to have to blaspheme here, I find rowing to be much easier on my 64 year old knees than cycling - especially hills. I continue to do both, and several of my crew teammates have had one or both knees replaced. My knees ache after cycling, never after rowing As a disclaimer, I am a certified indoor rowing instructor and have completed all the requirements to be a USRowing level II rowing coach.
Old 09-02-14, 09:58 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Glad to hear it's going so well, Pcad. Here's hoping you can get back to the fast, fun rides soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.