Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Garmin 705 Mount

Old 04-22-13, 04:36 PM
Rvav8r

Bikes: 2019 Ibis Hakka MX, 2011 Giant Defy 3 Composite, 2012 Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garmin 705 Mount

I have a Garmin Edge 705 and today I broke my 4th mount while taking the unit off the bike after today's ride. I'd like to be ale to convert the current mounting system to the newer 1/4 turn mounts of the newer 800 and 810. Does anyone know if there is an adapter that is for sale that would allow me to do that? I currently mount mind on the stem and that is just fine with me.

Thanks
Old 04-22-13, 10:21 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rvav8r
I have a Garmin Edge 705 and today I broke my 4th mount while taking the unit off the bike after today's ride. I'd like to be ale to convert the current mounting system to the newer 1/4 turn mounts of the newer 800 and 810. Does anyone know if there is an adapter that is for sale that would allow me to do that? I currently mount mind on the stem and that is just fine with me.

Thanks
As an new owner of a 705 I'm glad you posted this question. I was not aware that the 705 mount was different than the 800 series. I see lots of options online for different ways to mount the 800 series type mount, no so for the 705's.

I too have mine mounted on the stem. The only other option is to bar mount. I would be thrilled if someone made a quick release mount for the 705's.
Old 04-22-13, 10:23 PM
Rvav8r

Bikes: 2019 Ibis Hakka MX, 2011 Giant Defy 3 Composite, 2012 Specialized Hardrock

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is a quick release mount but as you know you have to push down on the release lever and that is the part that broke.
Old 04-22-13, 10:39 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rvav8r
It is a quick release mount but as you know you have to push down on the release lever and that is the part that broke.
Yes, the mount is quick release with the Garmin but the ( base ) mount itself is attached to the bike via plastic ties. To remove you have to cut the ties and use new ones if you wish to reuse the mount.
Old 04-23-13, 07:32 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I've been using a 705 for 4 years now (on several bikes and a motorcycle) and am a bit puzzled that the mount broke at all, much less 4 times.

Funny, but I know of many who have had issues with the 500-800 twist-in mount, usually breaking the ears on the device, but never breaking a 705 mount.
Old 04-23-13, 09:50 AM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Looigi
I've been using a 705 for 4 years now (on several bikes and a motorcycle) and am a bit puzzled that the mount broke at all, much less 4 times.
Mine has broken several times as well.

In case it's not clear where it breaks --

... there's two mounts on the left side of the picture, and the small clip that extends below the top one and to the right of the bottom one is what breaks. It breaks when you push it down to release the GPS.

If you leave your GPS on the bike, it'll never break. But if you remove it all the time, it's probably going to break.

I don't know of a solution, beyond buying several at once. I wonder if that flaw is part of what lead Garmin to change the mount for the newer models?

I guess you could break the tab off entirely, and come up with something else to hold the GPS on once it's mounted, but that doesn't sound like a very practical solution.
Old 04-24-13, 09:21 AM
Looigi

Originally Posted by dougmc
Mine has broken several times as well.

In case it's not clear where it breaks --

... there's two mounts on the left side of the picture, and the small clip that extends below the top one and to the right of the bottom one is what breaks. It breaks when you push it down to release the GPS.

If you leave your GPS on the bike, it'll never break. But if you remove it all the time, it's probably going to break.

I don't know of a solution, beyond buying several at once. I wonder if that flaw is part of what lead Garmin to change the mount for the newer models?

I guess you could break the tab off entirely, and come up with something else to hold the GPS on once it's mounted, but that doesn't sound like a very practical solution.
Those mounts look a bit different than the ones I have, which all have "Garmin" and an arrow printed on them. Are those official Garmin items or third party aftermarket parts?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
705 mount.jpg (42.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 04-24-13, 03:24 PM
ragnar.jensen 

Bikes: Scott Spark 30, Scott Sportster 10,Chesini X-Uno, Miyata Century, Cannondale SuperSix

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My 705 came with two mounts. One has the "Garmin" text and arrow, the other doesn't.
I have also bought some extra - official Garmin - mounts and not all of them are marked.
Old 04-24-13, 03:48 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
I've done at least 400 rides since I got my 705 in the fall of 2010, and the mount is still good. Even the little tab sticking up that locks the 705 on the mount looks like new. I remove it on almost every ride, and often took it off again when I put the bike on my old bike rack.

I only have to use very light pressure and push the release lever down about a millimeter to release the Garmin. I put a little sideways force on the 705 and I can feel when the tab releases.

~~~~~~~~~~
My mount looks like the one Looigi posted:

It has a textured surface, not smooth like your photos. The base of the tab arm has no discolored, warped look like plastic gets when it's about to break off. Maybe they've changed the mounts in the last few years?

Last edited by rm -rf; 04-24-13 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-24-13, 04:14 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rm -rf
It has a textured surface, not smooth like your photos. The base of the tab arm has no discolored, warped look like plastic gets when it's about to break off. Maybe they've changed the mounts in the last few years?
Just to be clear, that wasn't my picture -- it was just what I found online when I googled for it.

Maybe we're being rougher on the tab than is needed, but I'm just pointing out that the problem isn't that rare. Though I am surprised to hear that many people don't seem to have the problem at all.
Old 04-24-13, 10:45 PM
grncab97

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lost my beloved 705 on a downhill because the mount broke. I retraced my steps and searched for an hour but never found my 705. The new design is far superior.
Old 04-25-13, 06:45 AM
Looigi

Originally Posted by grncab97
I lost my beloved 705 on a downhill because the mount broke. I retraced my steps and searched for an hour but never found my 705. The new design is far superior.
I had my 705 fall off twice, but both times was able to find/retrieve it. It was not due to the mount breaking, but due to the tab dissengaging the recess in the bottom of the unit. I since bend the tab upward a bit to improve the engagement and haven't lost one since (mtbing and road). Despite bending the tab, they haven't broken. The material of the mounts I have is pretty tough and not at all brittle.