Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

WOTL Wanted: Efficient Wheel Storage???

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-10, 06:31 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 965 Times in 629 Posts

I have wheels scattered all over right now. I need a more efficient way to store them, preferably up in the air. I have seen shops use plastic coated hooks, but that would be a lot of hooks in my case. Anyone have a simple, CHEAP, way to store them?

I know the pile I have now is not too efficient....

I have thought about suspending a piece of 1/2 inch conduit, but that would make access to the wheels a little painful (but it is the best idea I have so far)....

Now that I think about it, a similar solution to cranksets would be sweet as well!

I guess I have too much stuff right now.

thrifty bill
Old 07-22-10, 06:43 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
The big hooks work the best. I've also hung them on the pedals of bikes I've got hanging from the ceiling.
Old 07-22-10, 07:01 AM
gems

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have rubber coated hooks on the ceiling (2x4 mounted on the ceiling, hooks from that). I think that's the way to go.
Time saved searching for wheels is worth the small cost.

Also looking for big S hooks so I can hang another wheel from the bottom of the top wheel. May have to bend some metal as I cant seem to find them ready made.
Old 07-22-10, 07:04 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2942 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,503 Posts
depending on where you want to store them you could use the pvc tubing, then take a peice of twine about 12" long with a loop in both ends. l
then you can put it over the tube and hook the loops on the valve, or attach it to the tube with one loop hanging down. we used to store bikes in a similar fashion over the winter. the down fall is the 'top' of the rim has to be within arms length. the hooks are the best way to go.

I bought a ton of wheels bags last year. they make the pile a bit better but they are still on the floor

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-22-10, 07:57 AM
juls
over the hill

Bikes: 72 maino-76 austro daimler inter 10-? giant kronos

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
pipeing with cheap steel rings (sized so they slide)-then use velcro straps thru the ring and the rim. velcro sets together vertically/works for me. You could use zip ties-but the velcro is reuseable.
Old 07-22-10, 08:09 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Originally Posted by juls
pipeing with cheap steel rings (sized so they slide)-then use velcro straps thru the ring and the rim. velcro sets together vertically/works for me. You could use zip ties-but the velcro is reuseable.
Sounds like a winner so far. I'll have to look for some cheap rings that would slide on conduit. I want to be as efficient as possible (store as many wheels in a short a distance). Like the zip tie/velcro concept. I have zip ties coming out my ears, so I would probably use them first. I could just loosely hang the zip ties from the conduit. I'll probably put 700c wheels on one conduit run, and 27 inch wheels on another.
Old 07-22-10, 08:20 AM
redxj
N+1

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I use the big coated hooks for hanging bikes. They are under $2 a piece and hold up to 75lbs which is too extreme just for holding wheels. For storing wheels I use a pipe screwed the ceiling with pipe straps. I hang S hooks from the pipe for wheels. I can double and triple stack wheels using more S- hooks. You can also dictate how close or far apart you hang wheels to increase storage. I have three pipes in the basement shop for hanging wheels and could probably use another.

The first S hook that hangs on the pipe one end needs to be bent 90 degrees. I purchased the S hooks on ebay (plastic coated S hooks.

Pictures:

Old 07-22-10, 08:21 AM
BigPolishJimmy

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
twine is super cheap and probably up to the job of holding a rim to another rim for a bit. I've got a few old steel rims hanging from a nail against a wall w/the next rim then hanging from the axle of the first and so on. This is only good up against a wall where they're not going to get knocked into.
Old 07-22-10, 08:39 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

I like those S hooks. Just bought some on ebay, we'll see how it comes together. Have you hung any bikes that way? I can see doing that with misc framesets. (OK, I definitely have too much stuff).

This is about half my workshop. And I have another 20 bikes upstairs in the garage....

One challenge I have with my workshop is the relatively low ceiling. I dug out a portion of my crawl space to create this workshop area. So between various mechanical systems (duct routing) and the steel work to allow for removal of the piers, space is limited. If you are not familiar with construction standards in the SE, many houses are built on piers. The piers are about 8 feet apart. They are made out of concrete blocks, so there is not much room between them. So even on a house on a hill/slope, there is no basement. Creating a basement was quite a bit of work, as unless you remove the piers, the space is not usable. I ended up making it even a little larger, hence the two steel poles on the right side of the pic.

Last edited by wrk101; 07-22-10 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-22-10, 08:49 AM
brockd15 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I looked at those S hooks when I built my rack but was afraid they wouldn't be big enough to hold wheels with wide tires. I ended up making my own hooks using an 8' length (I think) of about 1/2" wide by 1/16" thick aluminum strap that I got for cheap at Lowes. I put some plastic tubing on it, also from Lowes, to protect the wheels.

Old 07-22-10, 08:58 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Originally Posted by brockd15
I looked at those S hooks when I built my rack but was afraid they wouldn't be big enough to hold wheels with wide tires. I ended up making my own hooks using an 8' length (I think) of about 1/2" wide by 1/16" thick aluminum strap that I got for cheap at Lowes. I put some plastic tubing on it, also from Lowes, to protect the wheels.

That's a really creative use of garage door track!
Old 07-22-10, 09:18 AM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
That's a really creative use of garage door track!
Holy Buckets, no kidding...brockd15, can you give us some details of the install there? VERY nice!
Old 07-22-10, 09:28 AM
BigPolishJimmy

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm assuming you can slide the bikes away from each other for easy removal yes? Did you post this before and I just forgot about it? hmmm.... I have some extra garage door hardware laying about.... cogs spinning...
Old 07-22-10, 09:44 AM
brockd15 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Thanks guys, it's worked out well for my needs....just don't ask how long it took me to actually figure out what pieces to use to make the thing!
The idea was to avoid fixed position hooks and allow the hooks move both forward and backward and side to side. So if I need to pull down one of the bikes I just roll the others away from it to make access easier.

I had a thread when I finished it about a year ago that gives some more detail.
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ike-rack-(PICS)
Old 07-22-10, 09:52 AM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I use a couple of bike hooks with a length of 3-4 foot clothes rod on them. Lift one end of the rod off one hook, slide the wheels or rims on or off, rehook rod.
Old 07-22-10, 11:03 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by juls
Instead of velcro, I found that using "s" type hooks work better as it makes it easier/quicker to hang and retrieve the wheels. I bought some largish ones from a Japanese wares "dollar" type store here in the SF bay area that I think were meant for hanging pots indoors off wire shelving. Real cheap and works great, plus they come on many sizes to fit your needs.
I also put my wheels in wheel bags to keep things looking neat and to protect the wheels from banging against each other

Chombi

Last edited by Chombi; 07-22-10 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-22-10, 03:38 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I use S hooks on a piece of conduit suspended from the big J hooks...no pictures.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 07-22-10, 03:57 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I use S hooks on a piece of conduit suspended from the big J hooks...no pictures.

Aaron
I also have the suspended conduit with hooks made from snipped up hangers from the dry cleaners. You always think you'll never run out of those things until you start making useful hooks out of them.
Old 06-15-11, 11:54 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 2,165 Times in 559 Posts
*ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT*

I just rigged up this system. Pretty simple and cheap. I started with a curtain rod from Ikea ($4.99) and a dozen generic wire shower curtain hooks ($2.99) which I clipped & twisted. Though I found I could make better hooks on my own with some heavy-gauge wire and pliers (cost negligible). I originally planned to hang all the wheels adjacent to each other, but I found it better to hang some wheels/rims together with one hook hanging from another hook in order to avoid axles butting up against each other. Also allows for grouping of wheelsets.

Beats wheels on the floor!

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.

Last edited by gaucho777; 06-15-11 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-16-11, 05:54 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,755 Times in 941 Posts
Wheel storage is such a pain and I like the ideas presented here. Gotta go to The Old Shed and hang a few wheels. I intend to use the pipe and S-Hook method. I will make the S-Hooks out of old spokes, with old cable housing slipped on for protection. I will also stagger hook length. I never though of hanging one wheel off of it mate, though. Great idea and thanks for starting this thread.
Old 06-16-11, 06:26 AM
20grit
Curmudgeon in Training

Bikes: 1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
If access to the wheels is necessary you could use two pieces of pvc with sides and let the wheels just sit on the two. something like:

You could make several of the plywood pieces and use them as spacers between wheels. The PVC just goes into the holes in the plywood, a fairly simple locking mechanism like a bolt through a hole in the pvc, and you're good to go. Then all you have to do is make a mounting bracket for hanging the whole system.
Old 01-10-13, 04:42 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChadC
If you still have a wheel storage problem, I would recommend Wheelzrack. https://wheelzrack.com/products.html This is the best solution I have seen so far.

Really nice. But, ludicrously expensive! $50 per wheel? For a bit of sheet metal? Get the price of a back plate and three arms down to $20-30 and it might be a marketable product. Look at the pricing of modular shelving systems.
Old 01-10-13, 04:48 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,443 Posts
The problem with wheels is that they're so much wider at the axle than at the rim. The best way to store them is to unlace them. Bundle the spokes in one bunch and the rims of the same size in another bunch, with one bunch for each size. Toss the hubs in a big box. They naturally nestle among each other into a pretty space-efficient arrangement.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-10-13, 04:48 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

If you still have a wheel storage problem, I would recommend Wheelzrack. https://wheelzrack.com/products.html This is the best solution I have seen so far.
Why would I want to spend $250 to hang a whopping 6 wheels?

Do you work for this firm?

Let me check the math, I have about 100 wheels laying around. Ten feet of 1/2" conduit is $1.10, S hooks are $18 for 50, I can hang 20 to 25 wheels on one stick of conduit, then connect another. So I can hang all 100 wheels for $40. I can also hang various frames from the same hooks and conduit.

Or I could buy 17 of those wonderful racks, for a little under $4,500.
Old 01-10-13, 04:50 PM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
My guess is he works for them... 2nd post I can find on these, and just joined.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.