Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fitting a 'sub-compact' road chainset to BB90 bottom bracket?

Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Fitting a 'sub-compact' road chainset to BB90 bottom bracket?

Old 12-07-19, 09:11 PM
anotherbrian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like same setup as Absolute Black. Outside chainring is on outside but chain line is moved inboard so that there is no interference between the chain and spider/bolts when in the small ring.

Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I take it the Shimano spline is a straight spline instead of a tapered spline, so the bb can be shimmed. Doesn't look bad to me.

Something is still hurting my head about these. Could you post a picture from the non-drive side?
They used the same bolt hole circle, I guess the problem with putting a smaller chain ring on these cranks is just the height of the spider between the rings.
Old 12-07-19, 09:30 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
A bit tricky to get the nondrive side...

Old 12-08-19, 02:41 AM
ThermionicScott 
hungry

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 2463 Post(s)
Liked 361 Times in 263 Posts
Ha, guess that photo from the Croder site played tricks on my eyes!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-08-19, 08:09 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
Very interesting method of getting a smaller chainring. I think there are 33 tooth chainrings with no change in chain line, but I never thought that was worth pursuing.
Old 12-08-19, 07:33 PM
ThermionicScott 
hungry

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 2463 Post(s)
Liked 361 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Very interesting method of getting a smaller chainring. I think there are 33 tooth chainrings with no change in chain line, but I never thought that was worth pursuing.
TA makes them in 7075 aluminum, which partly explains the cost. I've been considering it should I wear out my 34T...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-08-19, 08:20 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Well, I got my Sunday ride done. Moderately fast group ride, a bit of rolling with a short climb in the middle along a segment I like to call Cow Dung Land (for obvious reasons). Stayed on the big ring for most of the ride except for the Cow Dung Land climb, no problems keeping up with the group and I think I have a better chain line with the 48 than with the 53. Spinning uphill with the 32 felt pretty good, even managed to get a new PR on the segment (though admittedly may be placebo effect... we'll see how it feels couple of months down the road...).

Two downsides though... first one is definitely no cross-chaining. Either big-big or small-small will result in chain rub on the FD. Not really a biggie, since I tend to avoid that kind of extreme combination anyway.

Second downside... got a flat on the rear tyre during the ride. I typically shift down to small-small to make it easier to dismount, and later remount the tyre but I think it is easier for the chain to drop on the 32? I lay the bike down on its (non-drive) side while changing the tube, didn't really pay attention to the chain until after remounting the tyre and noticed it dropped off the front ring. But maybe this is just a one-off? We'll see couple of months down the road (if I get a flat again... damn wire or staple or whatever that crap was!!)

Last edited by atwl77; 12-08-19 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-09-19, 08:39 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
did the shop re-size the chain?
Hope you don't have any more flats. I think it's pretty common for me to lose my chain if I have to change a flat. It's just part of the wonderful experience
Old 12-09-19, 08:46 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Yes, they did shorten the chain, though I forgot to ask by how much.