Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Fantasy Tour de France + general TdF discussion...

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Fantasy Tour de France + general TdF discussion...

Old 07-22-19, 06:29 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
second rest day recap... dstrong (again, as tdf usual) at the top of the leaderboard with one4smoke closely and dangerously drafting without hands on the brakes.
slcbob still on the podium and within striking distance. tdf third week...the final frontier. could use more predictions-accurate or otherwise-to liven up the proceedings.
i loathe being the only one to pick the wrong brother a day late...
Ahhhh, what might have been.... I was a whisker from picking Pinot, but decided to go with Bardet for whatever reason. That, combined with the Van Aert tragedy, finds me not very optimistic. Pleasantly surprised to be where I am in the standings at this point in time.

Stage 16 prediction: After a rest day, with a flat sprint finish ...I'll go with Viviani for his second stage win.
Old 07-22-19, 10:11 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Well...with one4smoke in my draft...and since both of us have so many of the same riders (including sagan, viviani and greenwagon), I guess the only way to gap him would be if one of my climbers gets the jump on the pack and amazingly sprints for the win! Ok...not likely...so I'm looking to sagan to get a big jump again for the win!

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 07-22-19, 12:04 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 453 Posts
We all have our little ride casualties. Well, except for the guys transferring. For me, Rohan taking his ball and going home moments before the ITT added insult to my self-injury of picking him by mistake.

I'm counting on all the Colombian hemoglobin doing some goodness for me via Bernal in the last week at 2000+ meters. Though perhaps everyone has him.
@one4smoke, I did not stay upright. Had a bit of a get-off at around 50mph. Sort of like my podium action! But ATGATT and insurance, so it will be OK again eventually, sort of unlike my podium action?

Tuesday's stage -- I wish it was uphill at the end instead of pan flat and straight, I might go with Colbrelli. As is, I'm thinking Sagan comes out of the mountains better than the heavy guns, even with the rest day.
Old 07-22-19, 03:31 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Just to help Alaphilippe out, and give him a fighting chance (by not picking him as the overall winner), I’ll go ahead and predict how the top five will look in Paris.

(1) Bernal
(2) Pinot
(3) Kruijswijk
(4) Thomas
(5) Alaphilippe
Old 07-22-19, 06:17 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Stage 16 has an uncategorized hill right before the flat finish, that could be interesting.

feel like quickstep is all in for Juju, we saw vivianni at the front during stage 15.

Last chance for sprinters before the possible craziness of the Pyrenees - time gaps could be deadly if the GC battle heats up.

Haven't seen much from van avermaet, maybe he'll try his hand on 17? Along with Michael Matthews...?

I'm thinking Sagan prioritizes Buchmann getting a good place on GC? He has the green jersey in the bag.

Once again just hoping for a good showing from EF. Watch the wind!
Old 07-23-19, 03:37 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by one4smoke
Just to help Alaphilippe out, and give him a fighting chance (by not picking him as the overall winner), I’ll go ahead and predict how the top five will look in Paris.

(1) Bernal
(2) Pinot
(3) Kruijswijk
(4) Thomas
(5) Alaphilippe
OK, I'll bite.

1 Bernal
2 Pinot
3 Thomas
4 Kjrjuisjwijjkj
5 Buchmann

I don't want it to be true, and maybe by predicting I, too, am giving him a fighting chance, but I think when the moment comes: stick a fork in Juju, he's done, and he sheds 10+ minutes and out of the top 10. Perhaps he stays in contention d1 in the Pyrenees and then finishes with the laughing bunch d2.

There's always a risk of a jour sans for anyone, so I'm not counting out those in the top ~12 now from hip checking someone off the podium. Landa is perhaps the most likely to take a flyer and fight his way in, though it is hardly likely. Quintana may try and ultimately go backwards. Fuglsang and Uran well positioned to hang around and advance through any attrition.

Wildcards: can Bala's old lungs and young man's legs do some magic at 2000m? Will Richie really finish? Will Barguil hang in there?

Should be an epic week. At least I will enjoy the racing while Juju and I slip back through our respective packs.
Old 07-23-19, 07:28 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5989 Post(s)
Liked 954 Times in 728 Posts
I'm very bad a cycling predictions but I believe Kruijswijk's has been a bit under the radar too much and his chances are underestimated. Maybe it's wishful thinking that it will be decided by lots of exiting jumps and not by boring big diesel power. I root for him, not because he's a countryman, I don't care much for that in cycling.

Btw, if it's any help, the 'IJ' is one letter, most akin to the 'Y', also both a vowel and a consonnant.
Likes For Stadjer:
Old 07-23-19, 09:41 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

OK lads, when the scoring comes in later today, that will be my foot you feel on your throats. BAM! I'm not dead yet.

Then I'm going to suffer like a suffering thing over the next few days in the Alps. We'll see if I'm still in the running when we get to le Champs.
Old 07-23-19, 11:28 AM
one4smoke

I’ll enjoy today’s standings, for that’s as good as it will get for me ...with another rider out.

Better to be lucky than good, and unfortunately I’m the latter.
Old 07-23-19, 12:28 PM
dstrong 

Originally Posted by slcbob
OK lads, when the scoring comes in later today, that will be my foot you feel on your throats. BAM! I'm not dead yet.

Then I'm going to suffer like a suffering thing over the next few days in the Alps. We'll see if I'm still in the running when we get to le Champs.
Great day for you slcbob! I was psyched to see my sprinters in the top 5 and thought I was secure. NOPE! 2 places down! Le Tour's excitement makes for exciting fantasy also!

Old 07-23-19, 02:44 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
I also had Fuglsang, I hate seeing guys crash out!!

I'm down Van Garderen, Van Aert and now Fuglsang. Feel like I'm cursing these guys

Will I see a rise in the BF overall with my hopes of mountain greatness from King, Herrada, Uran, Dan Martin?

Will my hopes of Uran making a huge attack ala Froome'd'finestre transpire?

Tune in tomorrow fantasy fans!
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 07-23-19, 03:59 PM
dstrong 

Ugh...I didn't even realize that Fuglsang had crashed out! He wasn't contributing much but every little bit helps!

Old 07-23-19, 05:31 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

How in the heck did @one4smoke stay in front of me?

Nibali and Adam better do something in the Alps, or I'm coming for them! It's the only way I'll stay close enough in the mountains for Ewan to come through for me on the Champs and put me on the top step. JUST. LIKE. I. PLANNED. IT!!!!!!

I'm sad for Fuglsang. But not for all of you that picked him like I meant to but wasn't coordinated enough to pull off. Feel my Rohan ITT-that-wasn't pain.

OK, for stage 17 predictions -- we can't leave @ooga-booga hanging with his west coast graveyard shift prognostications as the only picker. My heart says Adam and Nibali take a flyer, perhaps with Roman but then they drop him and he finishes a distant third or perhaps gets swallowed up by the charging peloton led by Sagan. My head says a break stays away -- 3-sided coin flip between Trentin, Oliver Naesen, or I'm a little punchy and don't know what I'm spouting.
Old 07-24-19, 08:52 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

10k to go. I just came back to check in to see if Trentin was indeed one of the half dozen or so predictions I spewed out yesterday. Damn I'm good!!

I hope Mateo holds on. Either way, well done, slcbob. Even if I do say so myself. Ha ha ha.
Old 07-24-19, 11:24 AM
dstrong 

Great call slcbob! You may have been punchy but it seemed to work!

Stage 18 - I'll be glued to my screen for the next three days and getting little to no work done until mid-morning. May not be a big shake-up tomorrow, with the long descent after they top out on the Galibier. Just hoping Thomas doesn't crash again! The top 6 are going to be eyeing each other constantly and I don't really have a prediction...although Thomas in yellow at the end of the day would certainly help my chances!

Old 07-24-19, 12:27 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
trentin’s been awfully quiet so great call by slcbob to pull that rabbit out of a hat. i think stage eighteen gives the contenders (krusijn, thomas, bernal, pinot, buchmann) a big springboard to wear down and extract 10-50 seconds from the maillot jaune by the summit of the galibier. alaphilippe will recoup a few seconds on the descent into valloire but the ***** in the armor will just embolden the attackers even more on stage nineteen. expect the high-speed and technical (in places) descents off the izoard or the galibier to catch out a top ten gc rider with a crash. hope i’m wrong again. going with landa the panda on stage eighteen. woulda picked pinot if the stage finished atop the galibier but not sure he’s 100% over his descending issues.
Old 07-24-19, 12:28 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

maan, this new censor is indefatigable...
Old 07-24-19, 12:56 PM
dstrong 

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
maan, this new censor is indefatigable...
What could be wrong with "nicks in the armor"? For some reason it didn't censor me!

Old 07-24-19, 07:59 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Next couple of days:

With this epic plummet off the Galibier, surely this is a chance for the shark to take a bite out of the race? !! Why else is he swimming in these waters?

In other pre-news, mi ese Egan shows the glimmer of greatness tomorrow that is going to flare into a cosmic singularity on Saturday on the Val Thorens.
Old 07-25-19, 05:08 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

i don't think bernal has the cajones to essentially pull what contador did to armstrong when they were both teammates on astana in the tdf that one year...
thomas crashing or having un jour sans would be different. love him or hate him, for contador to essentially say bleep you to the (at the time) greatest tdf rider ever
was mega-cajones with a double rasher of bacon on the side. and contador backed it up (nearly) his entire career.

you and me and everyone we know would love to see it tho.

nibbles/el tiburon has been mostly absent the entire tdf and the last few days of the giro. it would be nice to see him at least animate the proceedings, much less a stage win.

maybe one of the tried and true coulda been a contender domestiques gets loose and gets the stage eighteen win like cataldo did in the giro. it would be a feel good story.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 07-25-19, 05:14 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

How in the heck did @one4smoke stay in front of me?

Nibali and Adam better do something in the Alps, or I'm coming for them! It's the only way I'll stay close enough in the mountains for Ewan to come through for me on the Champs and put me on the top step. JUST. LIKE. I. PLANNED. IT!!!!!!

I'm sad for Fuglsang. But not for all of you that picked him like I meant to but wasn't coordinated enough to pull off. Feel my Rohan ITT-that-wasn't pain.

OK, for stage 17 predictions -- we can't leave @ooga-booga hanging with his west coast graveyard shift prognostications as the only picker. My heart says Adam and Nibali take a flyer, perhaps with Roman but then they drop him and he finishes a distant third or perhaps gets swallowed up by the charging peloton led by Sagan. My head says a break stays away -- 3-sided coin flip between Trentin, Oliver Naesen, or I'm a little punchy and don't know what I'm spouting.
better choices than you + a decidedly loose and cavalier contingent may have pushed some chips/credits across the table undetected to ensure your 4th place..er...off the podium finish.
Old 07-25-19, 05:57 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

You cut me!

Spot on about Alberto Bernalador. That would be an epic display of crumble from G and/or an enormous sacking up and schwing around from the white jersey.
Old 07-25-19, 06:13 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Imagine my disappointment and lack of surprise that there is no Nibali in the break. *sigh*

But there is a silver lining in that black & yellow cloud. I'm counting on my boy Adam running it to the line, holding up his end for the tear that Mitchelton-Scott has been on. Him winning would be fine with me -- partly because he's my wife's home boy, but mainly so I can hang on by a thread here. At least A Yates has got to come out of this better than Bardet / @one4smoke !!!
Old 07-25-19, 06:53 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by Caretaker
While an Alaphilippe win is a surprise that he did a good TT isn't for anyone who took the trouble to check his recent TT form. As for Tony Martin he was obviously riding to orders 'save your energy for the mountains where you'll be needed to help Kruijswijk in the GC battle'.
tough to tell a former multiple world champ tt'er to totally shut it down at his best discipline with another potential stage win but guessing the energy expended with rowe of ineos was previously authorized. the finishing second to last reads like a go to hades/personality conflict between martin and the team.

Last edited by diphthong; 07-25-19 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-25-19, 06:56 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Imagine my disappointment and lack of surprise that there is no Nibali in the break. *sigh*

But there is a silver lining in that black & yellow cloud. I'm counting on my boy Adam running it to the line, holding up his end for the tear that Mitchelton-Scott has been on. Him winning would be fine with me -- partly because he's my wife's home boy, but mainly so I can hang on by a thread here. At least A Yates has got to come out of this better than Bardet / @one4smoke !!!
you and me both.

hahahahahahahahahahaha ha ha. methinx the yates are the schlecks 2.0.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.