Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Brazing glasses

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Brazing glasses

Old 11-02-19, 03:20 PM
calstar 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Brazing glasses

Anyone try the Tinmantech TM2000 brazing glasses or have first hand knowledge of them? I'd post a link but don't know if that is allowed on this forum, you can google search Tinmantech TM2000 brazing glasses you'll find them, sounds pretty good but a little spendy.

thanks, Brian
Old 11-03-19, 08:59 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
you can post links https://www.tinmantech.com/products/...lding-lens.php

I could only find one version of those glasses. They are quite expensive and probably too dark for brazing. I have some #5 shade glasses for welding, but it makes brazing really difficult because you can't see color that well.

At trek, we used didymium glasses. My understanding is that we should have used a green shade didymium lens instead, because IR isn't good for your eyes. I have some #3 shade didymium glasses now. I understand that the company I bought them from had some quality issues at that time, and they don't work as well as they should. But I have cataracts and that makes it really difficult to tell how well they are working because of the glare from that.
Old 11-04-19, 05:12 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
I agree that the #5 shade is too dark for brazing. I have a pair of these in the B3 version from Wale Apparatus https://www.waleapparatus.com/produc...y-glasses-pink

They work pretty good, but they are still pretty dark at shade #3 . I don't braze much any more, except for bottle bosses, braze ons and bridges. I find myself reaching for a set of cheap tinted safety glasses on those occasions, instead of the more expensive dydimium glasses.
Old 11-04-19, 06:39 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I agree #3 is a bit much, but nobody seems to sell a didymium #2