Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chain wear

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-19, 12:33 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
well first good on the original poster for caring enough to maintain his bike. I agree with Gresp that the end of a measuring tape is a source of uncertainty.

you can try using the 1" mark as the starting point for your measurement. Or you can get a dedicated chain checker.

PS according to the Rohloff tool in the picture (which has a precision radius) the chain being measured is at the wear limit.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA

I have had this one for 20 years and only used it as a guide. When it dropped through I then starting using a ruler and replaced after 1/16" wear. I now have the Pedro's and trust it.
Old 11-11-19, 12:38 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
Cheap chains are as good as expensive chains.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-11-19, 04:11 PM
Alzerbster

Bikes: 2021 Verve 2018 Cannondale Adventure

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 22 Posts
So I ordered the Wipperman chain. All their 6-7-8 speed chains had 114 links except a couple chains for Ebikes and they had 124 and 136 links, and were 80 plus dollars. I just assumed the 114 links would be enough, but I found out the chain on my bike has 116 links. It works except on the large chain ring and the large cog on the rear. Guess I'll send it back and get a Shimano, which I see they sell a 116 link 8 speed chain. Or I will just never use the large chain ring and large gear on the rear, which I have not yet. What would you guys do? Does anyone know if the Wipperman connex link will work with a Shimano chain?

Comparing the new chain to my old one. The chain definitely needed replaced.
Old 11-11-19, 04:25 PM
Novalite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
In case singlespeed a 1/8" wide chain has 50% more mechanical contact (outer surface pin - inner surface plate hole) than a 3/32" chain. That means less pressure and thus less wear. Same applies to a 1/8" ersus a 3/32" wide sprocket/chainring. Since I changed drivetrain to 1/8" the replacement frequency halved.
Later on I mounted a 1/8" chain with 3/16" plates. This chain did its job for 30000 km (18 months). I then replaced all 3 parts the same time (it wasn't needed yet but I didn't take the risk, the rear cogs teeth were seriously hollowed out), and the second same one sits now at half the first ones life with the tensioner below half its range.
This with the mudguards and the lubrication regime I described.
Old 11-12-19, 06:14 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
When in doubt throw it out. Just replace a chain you suspect is worn, they don't cost that much money, at least not the KMC. It isn't worth the precision measurements.

The next time you put on a new chain, check it with whatever tool you have and go from there. If the tool falls through on a new chain, toss the tool. Check again every 500 miles and see where it goes. At some point you'll have a feel for accuracy.

If you ride a commuter bike for half your miles and a road bike or other more serious bike for the other half, your chains will last a long time.
Old 11-12-19, 08:20 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

@Alzerbster, it is dangerous to ride a chain that is too short. You might promise yourself you'll never use that combo, but one day, you will by accident, and you'll cause damage.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 11-12-19, 09:15 AM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Chains are cheap, Cassettes used to be, but not anymore. Chainrings have never been cheap.

Replace the chain.

Don't know where you live, but here in Florida the lime and shell "gravel" roads will chew up a chain and drivetrain very quickly.

Mixed in with the lime and sand is microscopic silt that just gets everywhere, turns your bike gray and sticks to your chain lube.

I've gone to dry lube for the off-road and gravel-road bikes and it seems to help. I avoid riding off-road in the wet so it isn't a problem. Dry lube requires more frequent use but does the job when you keep up with it.
Old 11-12-19, 09:49 AM
Alzerbster

Yes I thought it best to Return the Wipperman chain, and I ordered a KMC 116 link chain. Should have counted links before I ordered, but assumed since the only 6-7-8 speed chain Wipperman sells is a 114 link, and it would work. Live and learn.

Ronsonic: I live in PA. and always wondered what the gritty limestone was doing to my drive train. I also have avoided riding in any kind of wet weather. So that didn't contribute to my quick chain wear, and I really doubt that de greasing and lubing to often had much to do with it either. Even if I did use water to rinse once in a while. I have planned on changing to a dry lube like White lighting, and maybe seeing if a fender will fit on my bike, so that I can attach a mud flap to it. As you say chains are cheap, and if I could get one to last even a 1000 miles. I would be okay with that.
Old 11-13-19, 07:34 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Alzerbster
Yes I thought it best to Return the Wipperman chain, and I ordered a KMC 116 link chain. Should have counted links before I ordered, but assumed since the only 6-7-8 speed chain Wipperman sells is a 114 link, and it would work. Live and learn.

Ronsonic: I live in PA. and always wondered what the gritty limestone was doing to my drive train. I also have avoided riding in any kind of wet weather. So that didn't contribute to my quick chain wear, and I really doubt that de greasing and lubing to often had much to do with it either. Even if I did use water to rinse once in a while. I have planned on changing to a dry lube like White lighting, and maybe seeing if a fender will fit on my bike, so that I can attach a mud flap to it. As you say chains are cheap, and if I could get one to last even a 1000 miles. I would be okay with that.
Try a wax based lube like Squirt. The good thing about it is that nothing sticks to it, the bad is that you need to apply it more often. I've been using it for 1-2 years now and one thing I really like is that it doesn't leave chain tattoos because it just doesn't get dirty. It also leaves a very quiet running chain. I don't think I'd use it though in wet conditions as it washes off easily.
Old 11-13-19, 08:04 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 661 Posts
yes, a mud flap and fender will definitely reduce the amount of crud that is flung up on the chain from the front tire. I have made very effective mud flaps by cutting up an old waterbottle !

the limestone chip material is a very good abrasive and will probably wear your chain out quickly.

I've had very good luck with "Muc-Off" chain lube. I do not like white lightning, it builds up goo that is hard to clean off.

Chain cleaning tip that you have not heard before: Scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner ! Spray on, toothbrush chain and freewheel / cassette, hose off, blow with compressed air, WD40 to displace water, and then apply your lube. Wipe off. Squeaky clean.

Mark Petry
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 11-13-19, 09:48 PM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Try a wax based lube like Squirt. The good thing about it is that nothing sticks to it, the bad is that you need to apply it more often. I've been using it for 1-2 years now and one thing I really like is that it doesn't leave chain tattoos because it just doesn't get dirty. It also leaves a very quiet running chain. I don't think I'd use it though in wet conditions as it washes off easily.
I'm using Squirt, too. Got a few bottles on sale. I do the wipe and re-apply every ride, unlike the oily lubes which hang on better.
Old 11-14-19, 08:41 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
A chain that's only scrubbed externally while on the bike will never be clean where it really matters - around the inside of the rollers and the pin/inner plate. WD-40 contains plenty of oil and will remain on the chain to foul up your intended chain lube.
Old 11-14-19, 10:58 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
A chain that's only scrubbed externally while on the bike will never be clean where it really matters - around the inside of the rollers and the pin/inner plate. WD-40 contains plenty of oil and will remain on the chain to foul up your intended chain lube.
Maybe and maybe not. If I use a sufficient quantity of lube and it sufficiently flushes the crap to the external surfaces, that could work. I don't know if I can do that, but my current chain is doing well having had lots of time in rainy grit. I've been lubing and wiping it after those dirty rides. I'm not proving anything, at least not yet, but so far, so good. I really hate cleaning chains the "normal" way and would sooner replace one than soak it in solvent.

Old 11-14-19, 11:23 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Either you have some unique abrasive mixed into the local limestone or that chain was a defective part, long when new. Or you are King Kong and wear chains out faster than any other living human. Cleanliness is next to Godliness but the chain cleaning rituals in online forums are peculiar to less than 1% of those who ride bikes. Bikes would just not be a common device if all that was necessary. As long as you don't let the chain run dry you should get twice 700 miles and will more likely get four or five times 700 miles. I would have asked Cannondale for a fresh chain.

Keep measuring. Replace them early. Lots of plausible advice above, most of it not wrong, bicycles work just fine with lower levels of maintenance. By measuring as soon as 700 miles OP has already demonstrated basic mechanical sense not shared by average users. And should expect better than average results.
Old 11-14-19, 12:15 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 661 Posts
Dave said
A chain that's only scrubbed externally while on the bike
and I do agree with that. Your chain cleaning routine should take into account riding conditions and even how many bikes you have !

I spread my riding across 5 or 6 bikes and the summer weather is dry and not dusty. I give the chain a quick wipe before I put the bike away.

Each bike gets a wash and wipe down 2-3 times / season. I use wash water with Dawn Ultra dishwashing detergent (cuts grease) and a splash of kerosene (special secret from Brian Baylis) in the wash water.

I use Scrubbing Bubbles spray bathroom cleanser on the chain and derailleur pulleys with some toothbrushing action. Disposable toothbrushes intended for weapons cleaning - they are great ! Hose off and spray with compressed air, then use WD40 to displace water, and then lube.

I run a Sachs PC-850 chain with the removable link on most bikes, so removing the chain is easy. Once a year or so the chain comes off and gets a real cleaning with degreaser (which gets into the rollers) and then, again, Scrubbing Bubbles, water rinse, and compressed air spray followed by WD40 and then lube. I find that I get pretty good life on chains - but then, I'm not riding in really adverse conditions.

as always, your mileage may vary. Take everything I said under advisement.

Mark Petry
Old 11-14-19, 03:19 PM
davidad

Originally Posted by noglider
Maybe and maybe not. If I use a sufficient quantity of lube and it sufficiently flushes the crap to the external surfaces, that could work. I don't know if I can do that, but my current chain is doing well having had lots of time in rainy grit. I've been lubing and wiping it after those dirty rides. I'm not proving anything, at least not yet, but so far, so good. I really hate cleaning chains the "normal" way and would sooner replace one than soak it in solvent.
If you don't want to maintain the chain it's your money. The only way to clean the chain is off the bike. It will last considerably longer.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/chain-care.html
Old 11-15-19, 08:34 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
WD-40 applied before lubing is a bad idea. It contains a substantial amount of oil and the solvent does not evaporate quickly. Whatever chain lube applied will contaminated with oil and not wprkvas expected - especially a dry lube.
Old 11-15-19, 10:55 AM
Alzerbster

I can't believe how many different ways there are to clean and lube a chain, and the discussion it brings about. I certainly found out i was using the wrong lube for the conditions I ride in. The lube I was using is a good lube it just made things worse for riding on crushed limestone. I have decided I'm going to get some Paraffin, paraffin lamp oil, and wax my chains. I bought two new chains so i can have a spare ready to go. I cleaned them in mineral spirits, and then washed them in alcohol. Hopefully I'll get more than 700 miles out of these chains.

t
Likes For Alzerbster:
Old 11-15-19, 11:29 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by davidad
If you don't want to maintain the chain it's your money. The only way to clean the chain is off the bike. It will last considerably longer.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/chain-care.html
It's a good article, and I read it many years ago. I don't know why my method works for me, but I can tell you it does, and I'm not saying it will work for anyone else. My chain has been on my bike for a long time, and I wish I recorded the date. Next time I change it, I'll keep a record. I've had chains last a short time, and I don't know why, either, but I think I might be doing something right for the time being. This winter might be a good test, though, with the increase in salt and grit.

Old 12-05-19, 01:41 PM
Novalite

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I also don't take the chain off - too much hassle / work.
For me this maintenance works: a small drop oil on every roller.
Oil (and water) makes the grit/dirt mobile and centrifugal force moves it to the outside of the links.
Every day I wipe the outside until clean.
When too dry, and clean, I repeat.
I measure "works for me" as the chain runs silently.
Old 12-05-19, 01:52 PM
davidad

Originally Posted by mpetry912
well first good on the original poster for caring enough to maintain his bike. I agree with Gresp that the end of a measuring tape is a source of uncertainty.

you can try using the 1" mark as the starting point for your measurement. Or you can get a dedicated chain checker.

PS according to the Rohloff tool in the picture (which has a precision radius) the chain being measured is at the wear limit.

Mark Petry

Only if you are using Al. cogs. That is what that side of the gauge is used on. The S is for steel cogs.
Old 12-05-19, 02:56 PM
Alzerbster

So I bought a wiperman chain, which is definitely a higher quality chain compared to the KMC. the problem was Wipperman only makes a 114 link chain in an 8 speed chain, and I needed 116 links. Didn't know that until I put it on my bike. They do make a 124 link chain, but I didn't want to sped $55 for the chain to knock out 8 links. I could buy 3 KMC chains for that much. Anyway I put a new chain on, and went for a little test ride. The 4, 5, and 6 cogs on the cassette the chain would slip when I applied a load to them. they are the three gears I used most of the time during the 700 miles I had on the bike. The cassette didn't look that worn to me. So I bought a new cassette, put it on, and everything works fine now. So I not only wore a chain out in 700 miles, but also a cassette. I am now going to use nothing but wax for a lubricant, and see how that works for chain and cassette wear.
One of the people that I ride with has around 1000 miles on their bike. I lent them the park tool and asked them to check their chain for wear. The .5 end of the tool would not drop into their chain. They rode their bike on the same limestone trails I did. My brother has a bike that is 10 years old. About the only place he has ridden his bike is on crushed limestone rail trails, and he had never changed his chain, although he doesn't have a lot of miles on it. I'm sure he has at least a 1000 miles on it. I asked him to measure his chain. He said it was exactly 12 inches pin to pin. So I have no idea what would have caused the excessive wear on my bike parts. I probably cleaned and lubed my chain with an oil based lube much more often than anyone else does. The only thing I can think of is the lube was collecting the limestone dust, and making a grinding past. The chain I removed from the bike was a KMC chain, and the cassette was a Shimano.
Old 12-05-19, 04:29 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Using Mobil 1 oil I have regularly been getting over 8000 miles on both my recumbent and trike chains. I only ride on hard surface streets and bike paths. I take extraordinary care of the chain by wiping it down before every ride.

700 miles seems really bad to me. The limestone trails is not helping. Was there a brand name stamped on the links?
Old 12-05-19, 05:12 PM
Alzerbster

Originally Posted by rydabent
Using Mobil 1 oil I have regularly been getting over 8000 miles on both my recumbent and trike chains. I only ride on hard surface streets and bike paths. I take extraordinary care of the chain by wiping it down before every ride.

700 miles seems really bad to me. The limestone trails is not helping. Was there a brand name stamped on the links?
Yes, the original chain was a KMC.
Old 12-05-19, 06:44 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Limestone is quite abrasive no?

Combine that with an OEM chain (which can be lower quality than a retail version) and it sounds about right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.