Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Death of a bicycle shop

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Death of a bicycle shop

Old 11-19-19, 07:12 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,359 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
Thank you, I'll take you up on it. And around Memorial Day I do a reenactment at Our Lady of Cheztokowa (I know I'm killing the spelling, Polish isn't my strong point)
OUR LADY OF CZESTOCHOWA

The church here I was baptised at.
Old 11-19-19, 07:33 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
OUR LADY OF CZESTOCHOWA

The church here I was baptised at.
Thank you. We do a Polish Military History event around the Memorial day weekend, and if you're in the area it's very worth seeing.

It's a fun event for our group because we come in as the Swedish army in the 1650's (first event I was ever booed at as we marched onto the field) doing Polish/Swedish War in the mid-1650's. Plus lots of really good WWII stuff. Our tactical is small, but this is one of the very few events where the organizers aren't terrified at the thought of musket, pike, artillery and hussars on the field at the same time.

And Saturday night dinner reminded me of my youth: Kolbassi, holoupki, the best halushki I've had since mom died, and I couldn't understand a word of the conversations around me (my parents spoke fluent Slovak, but absolutely refused to teach it to my sister and me).

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 11-19-19, 07:41 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
The back and forth can be useful to others to remember, if you turn it into a business, you can trigger other requirements, insurance being one of them. Glad to hear it sounds like your loss will be covered.

And another consideration on workshop insurance is tools. I know "this guy" who has as much in tools as he does bikes. And "this guy" has a lot of bikes.

Last edited by wrk101; 11-20-19 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-19-19, 09:40 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
The back and forth can be useful to others to remember, if you turn it into a business, you can trigger other requirements, insurance being one of them. Glad to hear it sounds like your loss will be covered.
The biggest thing to remember for a business is that there are different requirements based on who you're talking to. As a tax person, I wouldn't qualify his business in a garage that is also used to house a non-business vehicle as a business location. IRS states that the area needs to be regularly and exclusively used for business. So that workshop building custom widgets you set up in your guest bedroom might qualify as a business for the taxing authority because you profited $2 in 2019, but it's not a "business property." Same with the garage.

I know nothing about insurance. So I'm not going to offer an opinion on what would qualify as a business. But just a heads up to anyone that has a "business". Tax and licensing isn't everything. You almost have to change your song based on who you're talking to.

I hope this all works out for the OP.
Old 11-19-19, 10:09 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,835 Times in 1,109 Posts
TriBiker,
I operate a golf repair shop out of my home and have a $1m policy attached to it. Mostly for liability in case of a bad repair job. But absolutely necessary for my bizniz, Never had a claim, but know the liability and the cost is valuable for me. That policy covers any product I have at a remote facility as well. Any thing I have at a remote location will be covered. As a business policy I also have coverage for anything on my personal premises that pertains to my business. As it applies to bikes I had destroyed in a fire ten years ago, the adjuster agreed with me that my bikes were indeed covered by my homeowners policy by the fact they were stored in an off site facility that caught fire. The extent of my policy was 11K which was covered by just 8 of the destroyed bikes. For me it was an extension of storage from my home, and not a part of my business coverage. There was about $1k in bike shop inventory there so I did not ask for a policy coverage for that amount. Just asking for a recognition about the loss in the description file for the adjuster. He honored my request knowing the value of my loss. HTH, MH
Old 11-20-19, 09:24 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Okay. Let's stop with the back and forth bickering. Now.
Sorry, just reading this now. The redundant pictures were slowing me down.

Originally Posted by TriBiker19
The biggest thing to remember for a business is that there are different requirements based on who you're talking to. As a tax person, I wouldn't qualify his business in a garage that is also used to house a non-business vehicle as a business location. IRS states that the area needs to be regularly and exclusively used for business. So that workshop building custom widgets you set up in your guest bedroom might qualify as a business for the taxing authority because you profited $2 in 2019, but it's not a "business property." Same with the garage.
That would be true for tax purposes, meaning if it wasn't used exclusively for business you could not do a tax deduction for those purposes then. Which would be a big tax break. However, he did state it was a business and he does have a business license. Those parts and tools were for business purposes. I don't see how homeowners insurance would pay for this. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited by Jicafold; 11-20-19 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-20-19, 12:37 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts

I know nothing about insurance. So I'm not going to offer an opinion on what would qualify as a business. But just a heads up to anyone that has a "business". Tax and licensing isn't everything. You almost have to change your song based on who you're talking to.

A lot of the environment is changing, with the internet, eBay, CL, etc.

The policy in VA is from 1991, and in general "other structures" are excluded if used "at any time for any business," but that's the language, and interpretations can vary, and often do, in a favorable light for the homeowner. There's are differences that are generally discussed on a case-by-case basis, as far as buildings.

Personal Property, same thing. Many people have as many tools as many shops, for bikes/car/motorcycles, etc, but they're not in business. Generally, the benefit of the doubt is given to the insured, but when it isn't, there are almost always other factors being considered, besides business being conducted. I've had flippers brag to me about making $20K a year flipping bikes, but they have condo coverage only, not a single bit of commercial coverage. Yeah, that would be a problem when 40 bikes burn up that were all on CL....

Where money is involved, people do things. Sometimes not so honest things. One good rule of thumb is: Constant, long-term selling or servicing for a fee is not a hobby, it's a business. One reason I never charge labor on any bike I work on, and never will. (That, and liability) Sporadic selling, impulse buying and selling, well, that describes us.

When a person is revealed to have "done things" in representing/misrepresenting the risk they want to insure, the arguments they present are often adolescent, and pertain to everything but the facts, when the time comes to own up. They are actually quite funny in many cases, and often begin with, "but....."

The entitlement mentality that permeates our culture extends to insurance, of course. Human nature dictates that when you pay something, you want something, unless you are that part of our society that pays nothing but still wants something (and gets it). But insurance is not the government, unless you live in Florida. It's close, there.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 11-20-19 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-20-19, 06:07 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

On the tax side . . . . . . an interesting sidelight to this situation.

I live in Hanover County, Virginia; an are that is definitely more conservative that I am on most points, but I don't move closer towards the city of Richmond because of how well the county is run. I got this driven home within 24 hours of the fire.

The fire hit 2215 last Monday night. The local fire company was on the scene by 2235 (volunteers), and they finally wrapped everything up by 0230 Tuesday morning. Tuesday morning 1030 the fire marshal stopped back to make sure we were OK, and double check a couple of points in the daylight that he had been depending on floodlights the previous night.

And by 1115, same day, a car pulls in from the County Tax Assessor's office. Who dropped in to photograph the scene as justification for lowering our property taxes until we got the site rebuilt. Went over the whole deal with us, and left us with the first smidgen of good feeling about the whole situation.

Well run government can be a pleasure.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Likes For sykerocker:
Old 11-21-19, 03:45 PM
sykerocker 

Step one of the rebuild, completed:

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Likes For sykerocker:
Old 11-21-19, 06:51 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
It would be a good time to lay down a creative floor sealer...
Old 11-21-19, 06:55 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Actually, you could lay out PVC or PEX tubing for radiant floor heat and pour another couple of inches of concrete over it.
Old 11-21-19, 06:59 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts

Likes For thinktubes:
Old 11-21-19, 07:30 PM
sykerocker 

Originally Posted by thinktubes
Actually, I have three. The one that isn’t showing is a garage that holds the motorcycles. Of the other two, the big one holds the bicycle collection.
Old 11-21-19, 07:32 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
"Rebirth of a bicycle shop."

...though I'm partial to the "Two Sheds" reference.

-Kurt

Old 11-21-19, 08:43 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
It would be so tempting to add just a couple more feet in each direction...
Old 11-22-19, 08:38 AM
sykerocker 

Have considered the idea, one of the directions I've given the builder is to ballpark me what it'd cost to add a second garage bay to the setup. Most likely, out of touch unless I'm willing to take a loan to finance it. Which I'm not that crazy about, as next year I'm scheduled to pick up a used car, which is going to be financed itself. And there's already going to be a couple thousand out of pocket costs to just put the garage back where it was.

However, I'm going to gain space. Originally when we bought the house, the right side of the garage had a huge makeshift workbench already installed, and my shop stuff from the Montpelier shop (work bench, storage cabinet, 3 tool boxes, compressor, etc.) was lined up on the left. Which really cramped the garage, but for various reasons I never trashed the right side work bench. And Maggie had to park her car at a 15-20 degree angle in the garage to miss that workbench.

With the new setup, nothing is going on the right side except Maggie's car, straight in. Maybe some wall shelves a bit later, once we've gotten the car/workshop ratio worked out. The left side shop is only going to have one humongous tool box (think Snap-On, but more likely Harbor Freight), the new compressor, new workbench, a bead blasting cabinet (finally), and a cabinet for cleaning rags, etc.) It'll be a much more efficient setup, allowing me to work on small stuff with Maggie's car parked inside, and bring out the bike stand with the car pulled out. All storage shelves will be on the back wall, as we don't drive anything bigger than a "C" class automobile (no SUV's in this family, and the van is permanently parked outdoors) so we'll have room.

Actually, I need to get down to Harbor Freight over the weekend to measure a few things, to start planning layout. I may have the builders shift the left side windows a bit to match where the workbench will go.

Planning the new setup is a good tonic for the depression that invariably follows an event like this.

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 11-22-19, 09:00 AM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
Just gonna toss this out there. Sometimes it's cheaper to build up than out. Depends on usage. Scissors trusses etc etc
Old 11-22-19, 10:19 AM
sykerocker 

Originally Posted by sdn40
Just gonna toss this out there. Sometimes it's cheaper to build up than out. Depends on usage. Scissors trusses etc etc
Being considered.

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 11-22-19, 11:01 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by sdn40
+10 Depending on local rules, it can be the only way. In my town, any building NOT attached to the house is limited to 600 square feet. But they measure outside dimensions rather than height. So a TALL garage can be the best use of the footprint.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 11-22-19, 04:44 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 495 Posts
I'm glad things are progressing well on recovering from your fire. I was a volunteer fire fighter for 20 years, so I have been to more than a few of those scenes. For rebuilding, make sure you are clear on the rules for your area. I have seen some issues where the homeowner and the zoning board disagreed about how to rebuild. The worst one was the homeowner just wanted to rebuild their house exactly like it was. You would think that wouldn't be an issue, but the cleanup crew cleared the whole house off the foundation. The zoning inspector argued that greater than 75% made it a new construction, so it had to be built to the current code. They eventually worked it out, but it delayed construction. Where I live, zoning regulations limit the height of out-buildings to 22 feet in residential zones, or 26 feet in agricultural zones. That makes it tough to build a two story garage with a peaked roof. I wanted to be able to park an RV in my barn, so my walls are 12 feet high. With a 5-12 pitch on the roof, I am right at the limit on height. It is easier to build a larger building. You can go up to 30% of the rear yard, but you may have to have a flatter roof.
Old 11-23-19, 06:04 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Wouldn't it be hard to walk?
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 11-23-19, 06:09 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

OK, so we need to name Syke's new shop.

Of course, Phoenix Funbikes comes to mind. Yawn.

I prefer Pompeii Pedals, or

NoI'mNotinEnglandYouFool.

Suggestions? I know he had a sign before, but it drew a lot of landfill bikes.
Old 11-23-19, 07:34 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
It seems like tat would add a fair bit to the cost because the current foundation is higher than the surrounding cement. If he wanted to go bigger, that would have to be rectified.
Old 11-23-19, 02:07 PM
sykerocker 

Originally Posted by himespau
It seems like tat would add a fair bit to the cost because the current foundation is higher than the surrounding cement. If he wanted to go bigger, that would have to be rectified.
Talking with the builder's supervisor of my job yesterday, I'm pretty much staying with the original garage, at least laterally. Attempting to turn the garage into a two bay is going to run well into five figures over just rebuilding the garage, for starters it wouldn't be a matter of just expanding the base, but breaking up the original base and starting over. And that back yard at that point gently slopes downward. Definitely out of my budget. Still considering the height idea, although mostly for gaining storage space.

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 11-23-19, 02:14 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
Not a surprise. Concrete work is expensive which is why I mentioned a loft.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.