Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Much difference between Alivio & Deore V-brakes?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 12-07-19, 08:54 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts

My Tektro dropbar V-brake levers are black and I'm thinking about getting some black V-brake calipers to match them.

There is a $10.00 difference in price between the front Alivio and front Deore V-brake calipers and a $14.00 difference in price between the Alivio and Dore rear V-brake calipers. I there enough of a difference in performance to warrant getting the Deore V-brake calipers instead of the Alivio ones? It's $59.98 for the two pairs of ALivio V-brakes and $83.98 for the two pairs of Deore V-brake calipers.

Note, these are going to be used with TEKTRO V-brake levers for a dropbar.

Thanks and cheers
Old 12-07-19, 10:41 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
I don't think anyone will know what brake arms you're talking about if you don't give model numbers. There could be several different models in the same "Deore" or "Alivio" name.

The current 2019 and 2020 catalog only has these trekking brakes with 107mm lengths.
BR-T610 ($15)
BR-T4000 ($10)
https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/sp...ke%20(V-BRAKE)

There is a shorter "mtb" version with 103mm length.
BR-MX70 ($30)

And a mini road version with 90mm length.
BR-R353 ($15)

Meanwhile some shops seem to sell another model that isn't in the Shimano catalog, called:
BR-T780 ($30)

I have the BR-T4000 ($10) and it works great. The only problem I had was that the brake boss on my bike was for the stock Tektro brakes, which had a different shoulder height, so I had to make some spacers to get the BR-T4000 to install all the way onto the brake boss. The BR-T4000 works better than the stock OEM Tektro brakes that came with my bike.

I've never used or seen the other Shimano brake models, but they all look very similar. If there's any difference other than the color and finishing of the arms and the different pads that come with them (but I use my own pads anyway so what comes with the arms doesn't matter to me), perhaps the material or design of the pivoting parts are a little bit different.

Also, if you did a 1 minute search on Google, you would have come up with an older post about the same question:
https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...rmageddon.html

Also, I don't think there is a difference between front and rear packages, other than the direction of the brake pads. If one is cheaper, you could probably buy 2 pairs of the same package and simply swap the brake pads to opposite sides on one of them.

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 12-07-19 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-07-19, 11:36 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Okay. Here are the parts numbers from the website where I'd be buying them.

Alivio Black Front EBRT4000FX43SLP
Alivio Black Rear EBRT4000RX43SLP

Deore Black Front EBRT610FX41SLP
Deore Black Rear EBRT610RX41SLP

I hope those numbers help.

Cheers
Old 05-29-20, 12:51 AM
Pantsu2x

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
br-t4000 problems here as well

I'm having the same problem with the Shimano BR-T4000 not seating on 5mm shoulders. I'm not finding much about this online. Could you explain how you made the spacers? Were they just to make the brake seat more flush/firmly? Less than half the spring pin is engaged into the hole even when torqued.

I've had people say the shimano are supposed to be unseated that way and it's fine. They came with shorter bolts and there's a 5mm distance from the end of the boss and the front mounting hole. Everything seems counter-intuitive in this installation.

Would Tektro 857AL's have the same issue here? I was also thinking about getting promax p-1s, but they said they were short pull actuated and I have long pull shimano levers. I had TX-117 no names on before.
Old 05-29-20, 01:31 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
The Deores have pad holders, you can replace the pads with pretty well any pad insert you like, just by removing a little pin and sliding pads out and in. Like running Koolstop Salmons in the winter and normal pads in the summer. The Alivios have one piece pads, when you wear them out you have to replace the whole pad and re-set up the alignment.
But... you could equally buy the Alivios and install a set of cheap pad holders for less than the price difference, but you'd still need to pay for good inserts.
The Deores are good brakes though, very little flex in the arms under hard braking.
Old 05-29-20, 07:15 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
I think a front is the same as a rear, difference is the direction the pads are installed.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 05-29-20, 07:09 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
What are you using it for? If you are not going to stop going down large hills then I would not even get the alivio it is overpriced. On v brakes I also find it easy to get the front to grip hard and much harder for the back, so you could consider the diore for just the back and get something cheap for the front. You should be able to get the deore rear brake for 30 bucks and a cheapo for 10-15 for the front and have no issues, or get the altus for about 17 for the front.
Old 05-29-20, 08:49 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Here's the thing about Shimano components:
1. Shimano makes bike components in so many different group levels that I can't keep track of them all.
2. The high dollar groups really are a little nicer. They operate more "crisply" and most people agreed they look better. But with so many component groups, you won't notice much, if any, difference if you move up or down just 1 group level.
3. As you move up the food chain, the improvement in performance is pretty much a straight line. The increase in price is exponential.

They all work, even the bargain basement priced Tourney derailleurs. Everybody gets to pick their own "sweet spot" where improvements in performance and aesthetic appeal cross your price gag point. My personal "sweet spot" keeps creeping down the price points.
Old 05-29-20, 09:03 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
I bought XT V-Brakes M770 a few years ago used and paid $40. I couldn't tell you the arm length. Look for used and maybe you'll find a bargain since everybody is going to disc these days. For me, it was an upgrade from cantilevers. I then had to buy a pair of Deore levers since my levers weren't compatible, and then had to buy new shifters since the old ones were integrated lever/shifter, and then had to buy a new derailleur once I decided that I'd upgrade to 10sp since I'm doing the work anyway, which led to a cassette, and then a hub and a chain. I had already rebuilt the wheel with new rim on the old hub but did a swap. Luckily the levers and shifters both came with cables, and I had Campy housing to give the bike a little class. So that $40 bargain cost me about $300 in the end. Was it worth it? Yes. I did this 6-7 years ago and ride that bike all the time and it still shifts and brakes like it's new. It became my commuter bike but now that I've retired it is my errand bike. Errands have included riding 10 miles to Eataly Vino in Manhattan and bringing home 4 bottles of great Italian wine, going to the Russian stores in Brighton Beach to get some smoked fish, brown bread, and caviar, going to Hometown BBQ and getting smoked brisket, pulled pork and the most heavenly pastrami sandwiches with sides of course, and picking up Thai food at the local place. I'm getting hungry now...

Last edited by zacster; 05-29-20 at 09:06 PM.
Likes For zacster:
Old 05-31-20, 10:20 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
This was how I got the brt4000 to sit in the boss that had too high of shoulders, with washers.

https://www.bikeforums.net/20977241-post16.html