Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sturmey AB 90mm Hub

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Sturmey AB 90mm Hub

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-19, 11:22 AM
loftus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Sturmey AB 90mm Hub

Hello All,
I'm after a bit of advice about a Sturmey Archer AB hub circa 1980 fitted to a Gazelle Impala, similar to a Toer Populair.
The drive side / right side of the axle has worn threads, so worn that a nut cannot be tightened on them so I need a new axle. The axle length is 6 1/4 inches or 158.8mm. This corresponds to K501 in old part Sturmey part numbers and HSA 108 in newer (ish) numbers.
Neither of these two numbers currently seem to be stocked/made and the only two I can find that seem like likely replacements are HSA 440 and HSA 370.
Both are longer axles, not that the additional length matters to me if it'll just stick out of the dropouts more but is that all that is different?
HSA 440 seems to be a part from newer AB/C hubs. It's mentioned on a AB/C parts list from 1989
HSA 370 according to old bike trader seems to be the correct replacement part for HSA108 just a bit longer - oldbiketrader.co.uk/display_Sturmey_Archer.php?options=internalhubparts
Is the inner workings of the earlier AB hubs actually just an old (pre NIG) AW hub packaged up with a drum brake on the side or are the some differences between the inner workings of the same era AW and AB hubs that mean that the parts aren't interchangeable?

To keep the bike on the road while figuring this out I bought a new gearbox, an HSX120 labelled as being a replacement for and ABC/SAB/AT3 hub but I've had a few issues.
Fitting the HSX120 in the AB shell has lost me 1st gear and now is stiff/resistance is felt when pushing the bike backwards, it changes between 2nd and 3rd though and is quite rideable otherwise. As a result though I am suspicious that HSX120 isn't the correct fit for an AB hub or there is something wrong with my AB shell?
The problem is I'm not quite knowledgeable enough to know what should and shouldn't fit together - I don't know whether the gearbox interchangeability is the problem or the shell and I don't know which axle to buy to put rebuild the original gearbox back onto so I can refit that to see if that solves everything and get me back to where I started except with no worn threads on the axle.
Any advice especially about AB hub differences with ABC hubs much appreciated.
Old 12-09-19, 11:42 AM
loftus

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks Brian, Forgot to mention I'm in the UK so they're a great fall back if I can't get anything suitable over here. What's most intriguing me is actually what the differences are between such similar parts, if any at all! It's for a bike I hope to keep running for a while - I built it up a month ago and been commuting on it nearly everyday - racked up just shy of 350 miles in that time. It's going to clock up miles and wear quickly so knowing what modern parts are a replacement is also a bit less unnerving than relying on sourcing NOS parts when something goes wrong.
Old 12-09-19, 02:52 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
You might contact Vince Warner at Colmwood Wheel Works in Hailsham, Sussex. He is encyclopedic about all things Sturmey Archer. He will have the correct axle and more than a few hints about the rebuild or quirks of the AB model, to help,you. It is worth the price to buy from him. He has supplied me with a 6 1/4" axle for a 60's vintage FW and the appropriate two-part indicator spindle for this particular application. He had the indicators manufactured to original SA spec ( probably better than the last few runs made by SA). He has parts, shifters and hardware for virtually anything Sturmey Archer.

https://colwoodwheelworks.co.uk/

Happy Hunting!
Old 01-03-20, 09:04 AM
loftus

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hello Everyone that helped,
Over Christmas I rebuilt the hub onto a new axle from SJS cycles, part HSA 370 which other than being a touch longer on the left side seems to have worked fine. Still yet to do a test ride but hub went back together on the new axle correctly. I'll report back but at the moment I would say that HSA 370 seems a good replacement for K501 / HSA 108
I did also pay Vince at colwood wheel works a visit as when dissembling the hub one of my planet pinions had chipped 3 teeth. He was very helpful and had a new pinion.
Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-07-20, 06:14 AM
loftus

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Done 30 miles on the rebuilt hub, all good, seems like axle HSA 370 is a good replacement for HSA 108.
The HSX 120 internals I think were binding on the end of the hub preventing it easily rolling backwards, still to get to the bottom of it but think the new assembly is a fraction (approx 0.5mm) longer than the original internals. Although it kind of worked I wouldn't recommend putting them into an 80's AB hub. Good having everything back together again.