Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek 1.1 with 105?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trek 1.1 with 105?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-13, 12:31 PM
Jake6879

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek 1.1 with 105?

Hi all, I'm looking for a solid first road bike and I'm considering purchasing a 2010 Trek 1.1 ($350) and a barely ridden 2013 Diamondback Podium 3 ($500) and swapping all the best parts to make a 1.1 with 105 components and sell the second bike for around ($300). Any thoughts? Is the 1.1 frame worth it at all? or should I consider just getting the Dback for awhile and waiting for a nice Allez to come up in the fall? I'm comfortable doing a lot of the work and I have a friend who can help me where I need pointers and special tools. Bottom line, is a 105 equipped 1.1 any better than a podium 3 and is it going to be worth the $500 I'd have in it?
Old 07-18-13, 12:41 PM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not just ride the Podium 3, it's a fine bike and comparable to the trek.
Old 07-18-13, 01:07 PM
Jake6879

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buffalowings
Why not just ride the Podium 3, it's a fine bike and comparable to the trek.
I was under the impression the Podium frame was inferior to the Trek. Keep in mind, I'm a newbie to road bikes and really only know what I read online so its hard to decipher what's true and what's being said by brand snobs. If they are fairly comparable I may do that. Another point though was I've heard a lot of negative feedback on the wheels and would keep the wheelset from the 1.1 if I bought both.
Old 07-18-13, 01:22 PM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the frame is just a bit heavier, but the difference isn't huge.
Old 07-18-13, 02:40 PM
Jake6879

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm planning to go ride the Podium 3 on Saturday and will probably pick it up. My LBS put me on a 56cm when I was looking at an Allez but the guy who does the fitting wasn't there to ask about proper sizing. I'm 5'11 with a 31.25" inseam (barefoot, book in crotch). What should I be looking for or feeling for proper fit? I'll still get a proper fit done at the LBS. I'm just concerned about getting the correct frame size at this point. Coming from a mtb, I'll probably ride on the hoods for a while sitting somewhat upright before getting used to riding in the drops. Losing some weight will help me there as well.
Old 07-18-13, 03:46 PM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A 56cm frame sounds right, that or 58. 54 is probably definitely too small.
Old 07-18-13, 04:18 PM
Jake6879

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A 56cm frame sounds right, that or 58. 54 is probably definitely too small.
Thanks for your answers. I haven't sat on a 58cm frame yet but I have been looking at them as well. Do you think I am better off to err on the smaller size or the bigger size?
Old 07-19-13, 08:36 AM
cashmonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To be honest, I would think you would be wasting time and money doing all that swapping for little gain. I don't know much about the Podium, but the Trek is their most basic option, and really doesn't warrant upgrading. Not to say that either is a bad bike, both are good, but the money you would using for the upgrade would be better spent on things such as good bibs, jerseys, flat kit, gloves, shoes, pedals, etc.

Personally, I would go one of two ways. You could save for the bike you really want (the Allez). If that would take too long, then I would go for the Trek. That way you have more money for the necessities I mentioned, and if you get another bike in 6 months you won't feel like you have sunk money into your current ride. I would not buy any of these bike with the intention of selling them. In my area, bikes like these do not sell very well on the 2nd hand market.

Being a beginner, I would try to find a good shop that will listen to your needs and be willing to help. It seems rather clear you do not know what size you are, and don't know which bike is most comfortable for you. That can be a bad combo when looking for a second hand bike. The $850 you plan to spend on those two bikes should easily get you an entry level road bike at an LBS that you know is comfortable, fits, and has a warranty. Plus if it is a good shop, you could end up with a bunch of new riding buddies!
Old 07-19-13, 10:19 AM
nastystang

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 2015 Specialized Tarmac Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally I would get the Podium 3 and be done with it. 105 and carbon fork. It's not going to be super light but the Trek won't be either. I could be wrong but I do not believe the Trek to have a carbon fork. Maybe a 2.x series Trek would be a better frame but this is pretty much a wash in my book. Newer Podium hardly ridden for the win. I would save for better wheels, the wheels on either bike are nothing special and hardly an upgrade over the other set.
Old 07-19-13, 10:47 AM
Daytrip
Medicinal Cyclist

Bikes: 2003 Klein Q Carbon Race; 2009 Giant OCR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
]probably definitely
Well, which is it?
Old 07-19-13, 11:24 AM
Jake6879

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cashmonee
You could save for the bike you really want (the Allez). If that would take too long, then I would go for the Trek.
Finding the money, in and of itself, isn't necessarily a problem. I just tend to seek out the best value. If I can get pretty much what I want and save a few hundred dollars, it's a win-win for me. I won't say I'm a cheapskate, I appreciate nice things, I just don't like paying full price for them..

The seller is supposed to let me know tonight if the Podium 3 is still available. I've seen a few ~2006 Allez(s?) for sale for $600-700 but they have been 58cm frames. As was mentioned, I haven't had a fit done. The LBS put me on a 56 but it wasn't an official fit or anything. If I can save $200 or more buying a nice used bike, I'll feel a lot better putting that towards a fit. Speaking of which, do I even need a full fit done at $175 or is the basic $75 fit all I really need at this point?
Old 07-19-13, 02:44 PM
cashmonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a difference between a pro fit and being put on the right size bike. Any decent LBS will get you set up on the right size bike as part of the sale. A pro fit takes things much further and may or may not really help/be necessary.

Also, keep in mind that the $200 savings does come at a price. You will get no warranty and little support without paying for it. This may not be a huge issue if you are an able bike mechanic. Even then, if a frame fails (unlikely, but possible), or you have trouble with maintenance, you could be ringing up a bill higher than $200. Not saying used is bad, but you really need to know what you are looking at and how to deal with anything that comes up. Most beginners are not in that kind of position.

I also would not pay $6-700 for a 7, almost 8 year old non-vintage bike. If it were me and I were a beginner, and I could afford it, I would really try to find a good LBS that will help get me into a bike that will suit my needs and support me. Not every town has an LBS like that, but it is the ideal situation.

Almost forgot, don't get hung on the component names. Anything that the big 3 put out these days is going to perform well. Even the newest Sora looks pretty decent, and Tiagra is about level with 105 at the moment. So don't let the name on the derailleur sway you too much.
Old 07-19-13, 03:05 PM
Sidney Porter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jake6879
The LBS put me on a 56 but it wasn't an official fit or anything. If I can save $200 or more buying a nice used bike, I'll feel a lot better putting that towards a fit. Speaking of which, do I even need a full fit done at $175 or is the basic $75 fit all I really need at this point?
You have the cart before the horse. A true fitting in the $200 should be done before you buy a bike. Here is a like to one of the bike stores near me. The fitting is $175 ($100 rebate if you buy a bike from them). It isn't even done on a bike but rather this machine that that has movable parts. Based upon that they can then match you up with a frame that matches that geometry. You then test ride the different brands.
https://www.tritechmultisport.com/services.htm

As far as putting eyeballing you and putting you on a bike and adjusting it. That should be free and anyone in a bike store should be able to do that. Most of the posters here could also do it.
Old 07-19-13, 03:35 PM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Look around for a pull-off group.
My first road bike was a Trek 1.2 with Sora/2300. Once I got the Giant TCR Composite, I relegated the Trek to rollers/trainer duty. Then I got a powertap and wanted to have power during indoor training.
I got lucky when a guy at my LBS was selling a complete 105-5700 group as a pull-off for _CHEAP_. Now my Trek is 105s with 10-speed.
I like my Trek well enough that I ride it outdoors every so often and enjoy it. I even put aero-bars on it for my local weekly TT.
Old 07-19-13, 07:51 PM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nastystang
Personally I would get the Podium 3 and be done with it. 105 and carbon fork. It's not going to be super light but the Trek won't be either. I could be wrong but I do not believe the Trek to have a carbon fork. Maybe a 2.x series Trek would be a better frame but this is pretty much a wash in my book. Newer Podium hardly ridden for the win. I would save for better wheels, the wheels on either bike are nothing special and hardly an upgrade over the other set.
You are correct. That Trek model does not have a carbon fork. To get a carbon fork, you have to go with a 1.5.
Old 07-19-13, 07:53 PM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sidney Porter
You have the cart before the horse. A true fitting in the $200 should be done before you buy a bike. Here is a like to one of the bike stores near me. The fitting is $175 ($100 rebate if you buy a bike from them). It isn't even done on a bike but rather this machine that that has movable parts. Based upon that they can then match you up with a frame that matches that geometry. You then test ride the different brands.
https://www.tritechmultisport.com/services.htm

As far as putting eyeballing you and putting you on a bike and adjusting it. That should be free and anyone in a bike store should be able to do that. Most of the posters here could also do it.
Lots of folks say this and while it's not really false info, it's not something most need to invest in either. Most bike shops will be able to adjust fit for you at the point of sale to the point that it will work for you. I've got a wide range of bikes and have never had a true professional fit for any of them, even my TCR.
Old 07-20-13, 11:02 AM
lenny866

Location: Foothills of the beautiful Adirondack Mountains, NY
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
DB has been trying to re-enter the road bike market and has been offering some great bikes for the $$.

If you can get a DB Pod 3 for $500.....$200 more than the trek. I d go with that. It is a far better bike package than the trek. 105s vs 2300 alone is worth the difference. Add in a Carbon fork and BB30 bottom bracket, IMO no brainer. I would upgrade the wheels and brakes and you'll have a worthy road bike. In the future, If you wanted to upgrade the frame, 105s are worth transferring to another frame.

Don't buy anything, until you know your size!!
Old 07-20-13, 11:29 AM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lenny866
DB has been trying to re-enter the road bike market and has been offering some great bikes for the $$.

If you can get a DB Pod 3 for $500.....$200 more than the trek. I d go with that. It is a far better bike package than the trek. 105s vs 2300 alone is worth the difference. Add in a Carbon fork and BB30 bottom bracket, IMO no brainer. I would upgrade the wheels and brakes and you'll have a worthy road bike. In the future, If you wanted to upgrade the frame, 105s are worth transferring to another frame.

Don't buy anything, until you know your size!!
The Diamondback frame isn't bad per say, just slightly more material then comparable makes (from my observation: the tubing sounds like thicker gauge, and there is less forming or butting, so overall it has more metal.
Old 07-20-13, 12:35 PM
Jake6879

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Diamondback frame isn't bad per say, just slightly more material then comparable makes (from my observation: the tubing sounds like thicker gauge, and there is less forming or butting, so overall it has more metal.
Well, it turns out the Diamondback was sold last night. I live 2 hours from the seller so I couldn't get there until the weekend. I did stop by an LBS that sells Scott today and rode a few miles on a 56cm Speedster 30 for $1000. Bike felt good. I asked him to true the front wheel while I stopped somewhere for lunch and I'd let him know if I wanted it this afternoon. Any thoughts on the Speedster 30? It looks like a solid setup though it is a bit more than I wanted to spend I do like the shop and the bike seems as good or better than I would get anywhere else for the same money. The LBS is also right off the paved path I've been riding during the week so I know I can always stop in if I need something adjusted.

Last edited by Jake6879; 07-20-13 at 12:43 PM. Reason: I can't spell today
Old 07-20-13, 12:46 PM
lenny866

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
$500 for that bike in 2013 is a good deal. I am sorry to hear that you missed it. Just know that prices will start to drop as the new models come out in the fall.

I am curious how you came to that conclusion. Both the DB Pod 3 and Trek 2.1 weigh around the same (20.5 lbs). Both are similarly equipped with 105s. If it is a heavier frame than I am wrong, but it looks to be about the same as others.
Old 07-20-13, 01:49 PM
Jake6879

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope you guys feel good about the Scott Speedster 30 because I'm on my way to pick it up now.. I have a ride tomorrow and what better way to try it out.
Old 07-20-13, 05:11 PM
lenny866

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good bike!