Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is a 48cm good size for some one that's 5'6 (168cm) tall?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is a 48cm good size for some one that's 5'6 (168cm) tall?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-14, 01:50 AM
dralways

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
zymphad's responses in this thread has had me LMAOing for days. Thank you, my friend, this has made for one troll thread to remember. If I'm ever having an outright terrible day and don't know how I'll make it through, I'll just close my eyes and think of the trendsetters out riding their toddler's bikes and let the day's miseries float away.
Old 11-10-14, 02:20 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
48 is probably way too small
Old 11-10-14, 02:20 AM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zymphad
Aren't all the performance race frames compact nowadays? The Evo looks compact to me.
no, they're not. the EVO and CAAD are pretty much have the same geometries, but neither is technically a compact frame. my 52cm Cannondale SuperSix EVO has about a 2.4cm higher standover at midtube than my 52cm Specialized Allez Pro, which is a compact frameset. and trust me, when you're 5'7" with a short inseam, that's a HUGE difference...

Originally Posted by zymphad
Sagan, the best rider C-Dale *HAD* rides a bike with 54 height and a 58 reach with a 120 stem. All cockpit is normal, nothing strange. He's 6ft, and rides a bike with a 58 reach. Trolls here at 5'6 are riding 51 wtih 100 stem... So dumb, so very dumb.

But this thread is filled with some very special people with special "professional" fitters. So dumb, so very very dumb.
don't worry, he left Cannondale 3 months ago, but i fixed it for ya'...

Originally Posted by jgrosser
OP: It is very doubtful that you will find a 48 cm Supersix in a bike shop. Most bike shops don't stock many small frames and any size 48s were probably sold out by June.
he's right. the only time you will find that small of a size is if the mechanic or owner is short and that's their size, and if that's the case most of the time they'll let you try their bikes for sizing if necessary...

and i'm just curious, how did toe overlap become a topic for discusion in this thread?! is the OP really not going to get a smaller frame cause of the fact that it has more trail than the larger frame sizes...

Last edited by FIVE ONE SIX; 11-10-14 at 02:30 AM.
Old 11-10-14, 08:45 AM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by falconsusi
5' 4 1/2" . I ride a Synapse 51 with the seat all of the way forward. I probably could have gone smaller. I think I have shorter limbs and a longer torso. I love my Synapse!
I'm 5'5" and I ride a Synapse 48.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Synapse.jpg (83.2 KB, 126 views)
Old 11-10-14, 09:10 AM
warpdrive

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 4.5, Brompton S6L

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
5 7" and I ride a 51 and 52cm bike with tall head tubes. 48cm would be way too small
Old 11-10-14, 10:06 AM
iLuveketchup
Still on training wheels

Bikes: CAAD 10

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fit can vary even with the same absolute dimension. I am 5'7" and ride a size 50 CAAD. And I'm thinking of purchasing a leftover 48 Evo next. As others have mentioned, get fitted.
Old 11-10-14, 10:08 AM
cashmonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by digaz
I'm looking to purchase either a cannondale road bike or Raleigh, and prefer the overall look of the smaller frames, they just make the bike look more "sportier". Do you think a 48cm frame would work well for somebody that's 168cm tall?
I hope it isn't too late to offer advice.

I am not going to go into my height and what I ride, because for you it is completely meaningless. You cannot size yourself based on what others ride. I will however try to help you avoid the same mistake a me and a friend made. Do not buy a bike from a shop that is not giving you a proper fit first, and does not allow you to take the bike for a few days to ride it.

Proper fit means the shop puts you on trainer, measures the angle of the bend in your knee and the angle of your arms and back. Then adjusts the seat height and stem to compensate. Further, they should also check that your knee is in the proper position in relation to your foot. If they do not do this, then there is a greater chance you will not be fitted to the bike correctly, even if it is the right size. It is not common for someone to be properly fitted without any adjustment.

Also, I would never again buy a bike from a shop that will not allow you take the bike for an extended test ride or to get a refund if it doesn't fit right. Both shops I went to for my newest bike allowed me and my friend to borrow bikes for about a week at a time. Even if a shop won't do that, they should allow you to return it if the bike doesn't work for you.

If a shop is telling you they don't have the size you want, but will order it without refund, it is time to find a new shop. As a side note, the SuperSix and Militis that you mentioned tend to have a rougher ride. I tested a SuperSix vs a Tarmac, and found the Tarmac much smoother, and just as capable. I really wanted a Cannondale, but ended up on a Tarmac. Others will disagree, but the point remains, do not put thousands (I assume you are spending at least 2K here) into a bike because you like the name on the downtube or the look of the size. If it isn't comfortable, you won't ride it.
Old 09-02-15, 05:38 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Bump
Old 06-06-16, 10:26 PM
nemeseri

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL build, CAAD10, Bianchi Pista '13, Litespeed Antares '03

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I know it's an old thread, I just wanted to add some extra info. Currently both Andre Cardoso and Tom-Jelte Slagter ride a 48cm supersix. They are both 5'6" and their saddle to bar drop is not that crazy at all. I just wanted to point out that it's definitely not very odd to ride this size for short guys like the OP.