Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Supersix Evo Carbon 105 5 vs CAAD 10 Ultegra 3

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-14, 11:34 PM
digaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm having a touch time deciding between these 2. They are both the exact same price. Can someone tell me which one is better? I know one's a carbon frame and one is aluminum. I'm leaning towards the Supersix Evo Carbon one though.
Old 11-08-14, 08:34 AM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
What year models? What generation of components?
Old 11-08-14, 09:22 AM
digaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggle
What year models? What generation of components?

2015 Model

SuperSix EVO Carbon 105 5 - SUPERSIX EVO - ELITE ROAD - ROAD - BIKES - 2015
CAAD10 Ultegra 3 - CAAD10 - ELITE ROAD - ROAD - BIKES - 2015
Old 11-08-14, 09:40 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Get the Cannondale.
Old 11-08-14, 09:53 AM
RogueRadio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CAAD is almost as light as most carbon on the market. Depends on if you want to put more money into a bike. Ultegra is a great riding groupset, and if you go 105 you will probably end up buying Ultegra later. Really comes down to ride quality. I had a CAAD10, and the ride was definitely more "lively" than a carbon bike. Vibrates a good amount more, especially on rough roads than carbon. But it depends on your riding areas too. I live in Southeastern Pa, where the roads look like swiss cheese right after winter, and aren't re-paved until somwhere around the following Mid-September
Old 11-08-14, 11:29 AM
digaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
Get the Cannondale.
They're both Cannondale
Old 11-08-14, 12:55 PM
RALPHFELT

Bikes: 2015 Pinarello Marvel,2011 FELT AR5 , 2011 PINARELLO FP3, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Caad has a better group set but the six is better looking. Hard decision there.
Old 11-08-14, 01:02 PM
cruiserhead

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
CAAD 10
better deal and you are not compromising any performance with that frame compared to the carbon
Old 11-08-14, 01:39 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Caad10 unless you get the hi mod supersix
Old 11-08-14, 03:28 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by digaz
They're both Cannondale
Indeed. Can't go wrong with either.
Old 11-08-14, 04:55 PM
Acquaspin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tested aluminum caad10 vs carbon (i don't remember the exact carbon model) but LBS guy said the geometry was pretty much identical.

The buzz (vibration depending of the type/quality of pavement) of the aluminum ride is substantially more noticeable; most of the roads around here are decent grade chip seal, my wrists told me about the ride quality before my butt or my back could say anything.

However, in some sections of smooth pavement, the aluminum frame felt much better. Solid, rigid, every bit of power transmits to speed.

Second the previous comment that it really depends on what type of roads you'll be riding on. As far as the components go, only difference is weight; both properly tuned, I bet most people could not tell 105 from ultegra.

I ended up getting neither, 11 speed indeed shifts a lot nicer than my current 10 speed, but the buzz of both frames was a lot more than my current ride. I wish I had not done that test... oh well. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 11-08-14, 05:23 PM
xscottypx

Bikes: 2014 Focus Cayo 3.0 / 2000 specialized stumpjumper M4 / 2013 All City Big Block

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i nearly bought the CAAD 10 ultegra. that bike rode so well, one of my absolute favorites. opted for something else in the long run but had i not found the deal i found, i would have been on that CAAD 10 ultegra
Old 11-10-14, 09:47 PM
Minnesota Expat
Yeah, you betcha!

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale EVO 5, 2006 Trek 1000, and early 70's Manufrance Hirondelle

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I bought an EVO SS 105 group last January for the following reason; same platform as the mid-range EVO's. I looked at the CAAD10, but the 105 group matched my skills and budget. With the EVO, I can upgrade rims, to Ultegra, and I'll have a mid-range EVO. With other entry-level frames, you'll have an upgraded entry-level frame. The EVO is wonderful, it's snappy, light, quick, and cuts into corners early and fast. The SPEEDSave Thinline construction and architecture of the rear seat stays brilliantly dampens vibration. It is a smooth ride.

That being said, the EVO is a very aggressive frame and after two hours of riding the Texas Hill Country, I'm tired. My hands are tired, my back is tired, and my butt hurts. But then, my rides include lot's of chip seal, steep ramps, with a high heat index and humidity (south Texas), and I'm a 54 year old that only rides (about) 60 miles a week. Then, I rented and rode a Trek Domane 5.2 Ultegra all over Albuquerque last week for hours and hours and loved it. The 105 is solid, but the Ultegra is great. And the ride was much more comfortable (for me).

If I had to do it again, I'd strongly consider an endurance frame like the Cannondale Synapse with an Ultegra group. I'm not sure how the CAAD10 fits into the racing v. endurance spectrum of frames, but you really need to consider how you ride and the roads you're riding.
Old 11-10-14, 10:04 PM
cashmonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm having a touch time deciding between these 2. They are both the exact same price. Can someone tell me which one is better? I know one's a carbon frame and one is aluminum. I'm leaning towards the Supersix Evo Carbon one though.
This is easy. Ride them. There will be a difference. You will like one more than the other. Then you can decide.

Don't buy a look or a name or a group. Buy what rides best first, then worry about the other stuff. If you get the CAAD because it has Ultregra, but hate riding it to the point that you don't, then you just wasted a lot of money. And open yourself up to other brands. In all of your posts, seems you have decided Cannondale without actually riding anything else. Cannondales are know for light and stiff, but a not so smooth ride (in my experience at least). Maybe that fits your style, but you won't know until you see what else is out there.
Old 11-10-14, 10:59 PM
k_kibbler

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP has stated that they are buying a bike mostly for show, so unfortunately all that helpful advice about ride quality is mostly going to waste. For OP's needs, I recommend the Evo for carbon cred and no welds.
Old 11-10-14, 11:21 PM
cashmonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by k_kibbler
OP has stated that they are buying a bike mostly for show, so unfortunately all that helpful advice about ride quality is mostly going to waste. For OP's needs, I recommend the Evo for carbon cred and no welds.
I noticed that in another thread after I posted here and in his thread about fit.

To the OP, it's your money, but honestly, if you want a show bike, I wouldn't throw away the kind of cash you are talking. You are paying for things you don't care about. Get a knock off Chinese frame and have someone build it with parts. Or find a cool looking single speed. Perhaps something used even. I just don't see a reason to throw down the kind of money you are talking here.
Old 11-10-14, 11:35 PM
Minnesota Expat
Yeah, you betcha!

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale EVO 5, 2006 Trek 1000, and early 70's Manufrance Hirondelle

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Oh for heaven's sake. Really? Then, forget the CAAD. Get the EVO in team colors and get a Cannondale Team kit.
Old 11-11-14, 12:20 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Not sure where OP said they are the bike for show. CAAD10 is a beautiful aluminium frame and lighter than many carbon and it's finished nicely so you don't see welds. The CAAD and Supersix have the same exact geometry. So between the two I would take the CAAD with Ultegra.
Old 11-11-14, 01:45 AM
RatMudd
All Terrain UFO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From what I've read, the SuperSix Evo carbon will have more rear suspension, yet more efficient power transfer, because of the almost-limitless boundaries carbon can be designed into and its stiff properties.

The aluminum CAAD10 has same geometry, weighs no more that really counts, unless you're a professional racer, and rides very compliant to the road like the SuperSix Evo, with rear suspension designed into the seat/chain stays, yet is also very very efficient at power transfer.

I've never ridden either but will only assume that the SuperSix is just a baby hair better in all riding aspects than the CAAD10. I'm in the market for a CAAD10 disc SRAM Rival next year, and could easily spend more on an Ultegra SuperSix Evo, but my choice is the aluminum and disc brakes and to swap out some parts. Nothing wrong with carbon whatsoever, but for a frame I plan on riding for at least 15 years, I feel aluminum could take more abuse during riding mishaps that WILL happen. Sure, both have lifetime warranties, but which one might survive something that the warranty doesn't cover? -- I'd put my money on the aluminum smooth welded one. I say go for the component spec also -- Ultegra. You will not be disappointed either way you go. Both probably weigh almost exactly the same with their parts specs.

My opinion is CAAD10. I've also seen some CAAD10s on YouTube being beat with a maul and they don't crack. Cannondale finally got something right from their 90's aluminum frames cracking.

That is a hard decision though. Either way, Ultegra trumps 105, and both frames are pretty identical in ride quality.

All of the above is purely from my armchair research online though. But I have dived deep into it, to a limited extent.

Last edited by RatMudd; 11-11-14 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-11-14, 08:49 AM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Whew!! I thought I had double vision for a second there. RatMudd, you need to edit one more time. (Double post within a post)

As for Ultegra trumping 105, I don't think so now. 5800 vs 6800, I think there's very little difference. I went with 6800 earlier this year just cuz the 5800 stuff wasn't readily available yet. On the Supersix Evo 3 (Ultegra) that got me a few more carbon bits which I guess is "cooler" but not much else to write home about. I recently played on a 5800 bike and, blindfolded, I couldn't have told you the difference between it & my 6800 stuff. Literally felt identical!

As for CAAD vs EVO, definitely all about riding them both. I can speak to EVO's compliance. It definitely absorbs shock well. But I ain't knockin the CAAD 10. Both great bikes.

If neither one rises above the other after you've ridden them both, then pick on either colors or "deal".
Old 11-11-14, 01:38 PM
RatMudd
All Terrain UFO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by loimpact
Whew!! I thought I had double vision for a second there. RatMudd, you need to edit one more time. (Double post within a post)
Thanks! I probably would've never caught that again. I copied and pasted from the draft in Notes in phone too much Darn iPhone 5 screen is too small, lol. Galaxy S5 next spring!
Old 11-11-14, 01:52 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The op has stated in another tread that he is more concerned with looks than performance. He has also demonstrated strong, lustful thoughts toward Dura-Ace components. I think he should just buy a CAAD8 with Sora components. He wants to replace all of the components anyway. It's not much more expensive than a frameset.
Old 11-11-14, 01:56 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
They're both Cannondale
Whoosh
Old 11-11-14, 02:02 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
For all the CAAD lovers out there, if $ was no object, would you still ride CAAD10 over Carbon EVO (hi-mod)?

To OP, I would say carbon EVO. There are many reason why I would, but the fact is, in case you didn't like the bike or cycling any more, the carbon EVO would have a much better resell value than the CAAD.
Old 11-11-14, 02:25 PM
RatMudd
All Terrain UFO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
For all the CAAD lovers out there, if $ was no object, would you still ride CAAD10 over Carbon EVO (hi-mod)?
I'm a CAAD10 fan but, if I had $9000, heck yeah I'd pick the hi mod Evo over CAAD10. What a dream to ride I bet:
SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team - SUPERSIX EVO - ELITE ROAD - ROAD - BIKES - 2015

The CAAD10 gives me the same excitement of thinking about it though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.