Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Suggestions/reviews on tray/rail style 1 1/4" hitch mount bike racks?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-15-14, 06:39 PM
Raiden

Bikes: A little of everything

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm poking around at 1 1/4" hitch-mount bike racks. 2-bike capacity, for road and touring bikes. No hanging racks, trays/rails only. This rack will likely stay installed on my hatchback/wagon 24/7, so relatively light weight would be nice.

I've actually sold and installed quite a bit of Kuat; I consider the Sherpa (~$400+) to be the top of my list (The NV- $500+ -is bigger, heavier, and pricier than I'd prefer/need). I've also handled a lot of Saris; the Thelma 2 (<$300) is around the right size/weight/price but has always felt flimsy to me (I do own a Bones 2, which I like for what it is- it's my favorite trunk mount rack).

Can anyone suggest a rack that might be up my alley? Or any you own(ed) and regret?
Old 11-15-14, 07:22 PM
cashmonee

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a Saris Thelma 3, and while I like it, flimsy isn't a far off description. Or at least bouncy. The bikes stay stable, but the rack itself does indeed bounce around a lot. My buddy has a Kuat Sherpa that replaced a Thelma 2 whose bolt broke, and is happier with it than the Saris. The thing is solid as a rock doesn't sway or bounce around at all.

Other than the overall stability, the way that each receives is different as you know. The Saris uses a tray with a strap, that surrounds half the front wheel, while the Kuat uses a bar that comes up over the top of the wheel and then cinches down. For loading and unloading, I actually probably prefer the Saris. The Kuat works fine and isn't difficult, but pressing the button to release the bar from the wheel requires significant pressure, whereas the strap on the Saris comes off super easy.

Choosing between the two, to me, is all about budget. If you can swing the extra $100 or so for the Kuat, I would probably go that route. However, if budget is a concern or you need three bike trays, the Saris is a good option, and would be my preferred option, if only it was more stable (though I don't think the bouncing around actually hurts anything.) You definitely do feel like the Kuat is better built.
Old 11-15-14, 07:24 PM
Alias530
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have this one and like it

TransIt Flatbed 2DLX 2-Bike Hitch Rack
Old 11-15-14, 07:36 PM
Raiden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, the wobble of the Thelma in the hitch socket has always been an annoyance. If I were to go with the Thelma I'd invent myself a shim.

That Performance rack is attractive in price but I'd like something that folds up flat against the rear when not in use.
Old 11-15-14, 07:45 PM
Bunyanderman

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why does weight matter?
Old 11-15-14, 08:13 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Alias530

I have the Nashbar version of this and like it.
Old 11-15-14, 08:22 PM
Raiden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bunyanderman
Why does weight matter?
You're right, weight is mostly a silly concern, considering the rack will live on my car (though I've handled some hitch racks that I swear were made of lead, which I'd like to avoid). The Kuat NV is fine, really, it's just gigantic and I don't want it on the back of my little wagon.
Old 11-15-14, 10:37 PM
Pendergast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My 1UP USA rack is just the single bike configuration, but I really like it. I spent a bit more to get the black anodized version. It doesn't have the security features some racks have, but that wasn't a consideration for me. $500 gets the silver single bike rack and an add-on for another bike. $600 for black.
Old 11-16-14, 08:17 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Alias530

I've had one of these for several years and I also like it. Nothing fancy but it holds all types of bikes securely. I don't use it very often; if I did, I'd probably want something nicer like the Saris so it would be quicker/easier to get the bikes on and off.

When I'm not using it, I simply unbolt it and put it away. Takes only a few minutes.
Old 11-16-14, 08:56 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I have the: https://www.saris.com/product/superclamp- really nice carrier, well made. One drawback it does not pivot/drop down so on my CRV the hatch can not be opened while the rack is loaded, unload the bike fold the arms down, no problem.
Old 11-16-14, 10:01 AM
Raiden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 1UP rack is pretty cool, but for the money I think I still like Kuat a little more.

I'm really just not digging the transit rack- It would probably block my back window and I don't want to need to remove it regularly (I live in an apartment).

The Superclamp is neat, I had totally forgotten about it. It would be high on my list, except I don't think it would play well with my touring and commute bikes with racks over the wheels.
Old 11-16-14, 01:10 PM
BigC_82

Bikes: 2003 Raleigh M40, 2015 Raleigh RX 2.0, 2017 Kinesis Tripster A/T

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I use Thelma 3 on my Volvo XC70 and use two rubber bungie straps to help on the bounce. I have a lot of sway on the 2 in adapter when I use our Chevrolet Suburban.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (90.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 11-17-14, 10:29 AM
kowalski

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had a few different 1-1/4" hitch mount tray racks including a Hollywood, RhodeGear and the first generation 1UP, but by far the best rack I've used is the Raxster I currently have. This rack is so simple and easy to use, folds up and out of the way. Just four velco straps secure a bike, but seems to be more than enough. I just leave it on the car folded up when not in use.
Old 11-17-14, 10:55 AM
Raiden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I
Originally Posted by kowalski
I've had a few different 1-1/4" hitch mount tray racks including a Hollywood, RhodeGear and the first generation 1UP, but by far the best rack I've used is the Raxster I currently have. This rack is so simple and easy to use, folds up and out of the way. Just four velco straps secure a bike, but seems to be more than enough. I just leave it on the car folded up when not in use.
Great suggestion, thanks!
Old 11-17-14, 11:12 AM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about the Thule T2? I have owned one for half a decade now and still have no complaints. One advantage I notice is the threading to pinch the hitch against the insertion post, keeps the wobble to an acceptable (trivial) level. Can't fit 29x2.5s without deflating the front tire though [grumble grumble].
Old 11-17-14, 01:44 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by kowalski
I picked up the Performance rack a few months ago on sale, just before I got my CR-V. It looks pretty good to me.

I haven't put the hitch on the car yet. I want to stay with the 1-1/4" Class 1 rather than using the 2" adapter with an overkill hitch. But I heard that some of these tray style racks are supposed to be used with an extra strap to the car to add stability if you go 1-1/4. Has anyone ever run into this issue, with a wobbling tray? I'm only using 1 or 2 road bikes at most anyhow so the weight is way below specs.
Old 11-18-14, 07:39 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiden
I'm poking around at 1 1/4" hitch-mount bike racks. 2-bike capacity, for road and touring bikes. No hanging racks, trays/rails only. This rack will likely stay installed on my hatchback/wagon 24/7, so relatively light weight would be nice.

I've actually sold and installed quite a bit of Kuat; I consider the Sherpa (~$400+) to be the top of my list (The NV- $500+ -is bigger, heavier, and pricier than I'd prefer/need). I've also handled a lot of Saris; the Thelma 2 (<$300) is around the right size/weight/price but has always felt flimsy to me (I do own a Bones 2, which I like for what it is- it's my favorite trunk mount rack).

Can anyone suggest a rack that might be up my alley? Or any you own(ed) and regret?

I bought an Allen a few years ago. I justified the purchase because I only use it to go to the shop, which is only a few local miles away. I have to admit that I am in full panic mode everytime I leave my driveway with that thing. It was roughly $100 at Wally World. I wish that I could have that $100 back. thankfully, I rarely use it. I will be buying a Thule or Yakima rack soon to replace it. It is crazy to trust my expensive bike and others lives on that piece of junk.
Old 11-18-14, 07:53 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

No wobble problems for me with my Performance rack on my Honda Element.

I ordered a Hidden Hitch setup for my Element. It took longer to get it out of the box than it did to bolt it to the car. It should be that easy on a CR-V, too.
Old 11-18-14, 09:58 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle
No wobble problems for me with my Performance rack on my Honda Element.

I ordered a Hidden Hitch setup for my Element. It took longer to get it out of the box than it did to bolt it to the car. It should be that easy on a CR-V, too.
1-1/4'? Hidden Hitch is my preference as well.
Old 11-18-14, 10:12 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Raiden
The 1UP rack is pretty cool, but for the money I think I still like Kuat a little more.
+1 I went through this selection a few years ago and agree. The 1UP USA is one of the nicest racks I've seen, but a bit pricey. I ended up buying the Kuat Sherpa and think it a great choice and better bang for the buck. It's very solid and never have any issues. I don't use it as often now, since I recently bought a truck with a skewer mount.
Old 11-19-14, 06:48 AM
bbattle

Originally Posted by nesdog
1-1/4'? Hidden Hitch is my preference as well.

yes, that's the size i got.
Old 11-19-14, 07:00 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
I guess it REALLY must be overkill s I use a kyat NV on my smart for two and fiat 500. Plus I purchased a 2" nv with add-on for my RV. After using racks since the 60's I have found that KUAT is the leader of the pack. Better designed, better built and better customer support. Good luck with your decision.

Old 11-19-14, 07:32 AM
CoMotionRider

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FLvector
+1 I went through this selection a few years ago and agree. The 1UP USA is one of the nicest racks I've seen, but a bit pricey. I ended up buying the Kuat Sherpa and think it a great choice and better bang for the buck. It's very solid and never have any issues. I don't use it as often now, since I recently bought a truck with a skewer mount.
I have the 1Up rack and there is this is the easiest rack on the market. Everyone that sees how fast the bike goes on or off the rack and how secure the bikes are held on the rack are ammazed. I did get rear ended when I had my bike on the rack. The bike survived without a scratch. The rack took the full impact and I had to replace a few parts but it was less than $100.00. I was amazed that the rack held up so well from the impact.
Old 11-19-14, 12:43 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
[IMG][/IMG]
These adapter braces (i forget what they're called) work great for those of you that experience wobbly bike racks.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 11-19-14, 02:43 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
OP...any tray style mount like this will be good. You don't want anything touching your frame to stabilize your bike. My personal favorite is a transverse mount tray rack like below only with the front wheel removed and a fork mount holding the front wheel and the rear wheel held as shown below:

Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
I guess it REALLY must be overkill s I use a kyat NV on my smart for two and fiat 500. Plus I purchased a 2" nv with add-on for my RV. After using racks since the 60's I have found that KUAT is the leader of the pack. Better designed, better built and better customer support. Good luck with your decision.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.