Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone have vintage Panniers?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-16, 03:52 PM
rideandgoseek 

Bikes: 1974 Behringer Custom, 1975 Schwinn Paramount, 1975 Windsor Profesional, 1976 Gios Super Record, 1985 Schwinn Paramount, 1985 Trek 770, 1993 Holland Ti Custom, 2000 Tommasini Sintesi, 2001 Colnago C40, 2019 Canyon Grail AL 7.0

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 45 Posts

I'm looking for a set of vintage rear panniers for my '82 Miyata 1000 and not sure what to exactly look for.

Anybody have suggestions? Leaning towards either Kirtland, REI, Cycle Pro, Cannondale, or the like but would love to hear from you guys about what you like.

Anyone have suggestions about color or setup? I'm leaning towards black to match the bartape and cables.

I've attached a picture of my bike so you can see what I'm working with.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
miyata-1000.jpg (77.5 KB, 565 views)
Old 11-21-16, 04:18 PM
BluesDaddy
I got 99 projects

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Another name to enter in your searches is "Frostline." Frostline was a company that sold DIY kits that had to be sewn by the purchaser, to save money, so you'd be relying on the previous owner's skills.
Old 11-21-16, 04:39 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
I wouldn't lock yourself into having vintage panniers, especially if you plan to use them for touring. I also think a lot of colors would look good on that bike, black or blue would be complementary, red or silver for contrast.

One problem with vintage, is CL and eBay are hit or miss. A lot of the vintage stuff is good, but most of it isn't totally waterproof and finding what you want, in good shape, can be challenging. Posting a WTB here might be your best bet.

I have a set of Cannondale Overland rear panniers for over 30 years that I still use. They're great with a bunch of pockets for organizing. They also made a matching set of front panniers, called Switchers. These sets are made of Cordura nylon and hold up well. There was a lower level set called Whistles/rear, Shuttles/front, made of nylon pack cloth. Those aren't as robust and have fewer pockets. All of them have an internal nylon frame and snap together so you can carry them with a shoulder strap.

A few years ago I got a pair of Arkel Dolphin 32 panniers for the front of the bike. They're the roll-top, waterproof type of pannier. I like them fine too. If the Cannondales ever bite the dust, I'd probably replace them with another set of new panniers, probably some Dolphin 48s.
Likes For Vintage_Cyclist:
Old 11-21-16, 04:40 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Like, But Not Have .. Carradice Canvas panniers ... timeless classics

Bicycle Pannier | Originals Kendal Panniers | Carradice

Bicycle Handlebar Bag | Originals Keswick | Carradice

I prefer the super C with its Side release Buckles Bicycle Rear Panniers | Super C Rear Panniers | Carradice..

Those come with a front option too Bicycle Pannier | Super C A4 Pannier | Carradice

UV in sun damages Nylon , so a note of caution about Used Nylon Bags they tear easily after the fibers break down.

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-21-16 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-21-16, 04:46 PM
Craigorock

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Banjo Brothers has a series of black canvas/tan leather bags and panniers called 'Minnehaha':

Canvas Utility Pannier | Banjo Brothers

They look like they would fit (and look) fine on either the front or rear rack on your bike. I too have a Miyata (1984 610 Grand Touring) with similar racks, and I have long thought about a pair (or 4) of these. Maybe they would even fit them on my Blackburn lowrider racks? For brand new bags, they are reasonably priced, with a simple and classic design. The shape is also slightly tapered at the bottom to give your heels more room when using the panniers on the rear rack.

The canvas could be treated with wax to make them even more waterproof. The leather straps are quite light in colour, but I found you can treat them with some leather care product (Brooks, Velo Orange, etc.) and after a few applications they begin to darken a bit. I did this to match my toe straps and the trim of my handlebar bag to the bar tape.
Old 11-21-16, 04:49 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
If the OP seeks period and in black, Kirtland, Cannondale or maybe Jandd would be ideal. Its much about character. I like the older for nostalgia and cycletouring with a vintage bike.

They also weigh far less vs. modern heavy rubber type. If concerned about water, simply pack contents in plastic baggies, x gal. garbage bag. Going a bit further, drysacks as liners are the way to go.

Fun that Frostline was mentioned. I have only one side pannier in orange. Long to find a match.

Honorable mention for vintage is the English made Karrimor. Have a full front and rear pannier setup for our tandem.

Last edited by crank_addict; 11-21-16 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-21-16, 04:50 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I second the idea of not locking yourself into vintage panniers and bags, but if you happen to come across a set, no reason not to. I recently got a full set of Carradice bags, because I liked the mix of vintage canvas and leather, and modern mountings. Frankly though, no one at all in 1982 would have used canvas bags. We were not that cool. No reason not to use them now though. If you haven't seen Lone Peak bags perhaps check them out. They look exactly like the bags of that period.

REi didn't sell bike bags then IIRC, and Cycle Pro were kind of cheap. If you prefer period appropriate luggage, add Jannd to your list. Kirtland and Cannondale were popular. Also, Eclipse were the Cadillac of bags circa 1982 or so, but they were expensive and used proprietary racks and mountings. Probably not realistic to use them now.
Old 11-21-16, 05:06 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
I had/have Frostline panniers. They might be down in the basement somewhere. They have too many memories in them for me to actually throw them out, though I haven't seen them for a while.

My own opinion on color is that if you are really going to be bicycle touring then black, while stylish, is the least desirable color. You want to be seen! It's no good being stylish if you're dead. Incidentally, my Frostline panniers were international orange, the color so-named due to its high visibility.
Old 11-21-16, 05:26 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Bellwether, Karrimor, Gerry, Hubbard, Eclipse and Himalayan come to mind as pannier etc. brands from BITD.

Last edited by old's'cool; 11-21-16 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-21-16, 06:16 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
I just sold a set of silver Cannondale rear panniers to a fellow BF member a little over a month ago...

Before pic:

I disassembled them, and threw them in the wash, and they turned out quite nice... Sorry, but I didn't save the 'after' pic.

Total cost to BF member - $35 + shipping. They're out there -- you just have to keep looking (and be patient).
Old 11-21-16, 06:28 PM
rideandgoseek 

Bikes: 1974 Behringer Custom, 1975 Schwinn Paramount, 1975 Windsor Profesional, 1976 Gios Super Record, 1985 Schwinn Paramount, 1985 Trek 770, 1993 Holland Ti Custom, 2000 Tommasini Sintesi, 2001 Colnago C40, 2019 Canyon Grail AL 7.0

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 45 Posts
Thanks for all the replies already! Lots of good vintage and also newer suggestions. I definitely understand the benefits of modern panniers over vintage ones but I'm gonna be patient and hold out for a set of vintage ones in really good condition. I'm already riding a near original '82 Miyata, might as well go the whole way with it atmo.

Anyone know about these Bishop Freeman panniers? Any good? And do you think this listing is for just one side or for the whole set up like in the picture on the packaging?

Also curious about these Kangaroo Baggs. Anyone with any experience using these?

Again any and all help appreciated!
Old 11-21-16, 07:18 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Lone Peak is still around from the old days:
Panniers
Old 11-21-16, 07:32 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Cannondale, Kirtland, Eclipse... These brands were the biggies in the '70s-early 80s. Then there were the cheaper house brands that Bike Warehoused the other national entities fielded...

I still have sets of Cannondale rears in blue and yellow, along with matching handlebar bags and seat bags for my vintage bikes as well...
Old 11-21-16, 08:24 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by rideandgoseek
Also curious about these Kangaroo Baggs. Anyone with any experience using these?

Vintage Blaze Orange KANGAROO BAGGS Bicycle Saddle Bags - NEW | eBay
Here's a recent photo of my '80s Cimarron with '70s orange Kangaroo Baggs that I fished out of a dumpster. I was hanging out during a break behind the first shop I worked in and happened to peek into the dumpster and saw these. They'd been tossed out by my boss after one strap tore. I fixed it and still use the bags for errand running. These do not hook onto the rack but are attached to each other by straps and sling over the rack like true saddlebags.

I also have two sets of Eclipse panniers in blue, plus several front and rear Eclipse racks, the slide mount ones. My wife has a set of the Eclipse red in the conventional hook attachment.
Cim orange bags.jpg
Old 11-21-16, 08:32 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Sure wish I had the Cdale panniers I toured with in the late 70's. They were a large version of their behind the seat bag shaped like a barrel. One flat zipper across the pack accessed the interior. The things were indestructible. Used them for 10 years then they were lost in a move (I think someone stole them during my college years). They had a metal frame and lifted on and off the rack. My touring partner used Gerry which were tied to the rack with flat fabric laces. PIA all the way. Cdale nailed the mount. I remember having to push them all the way back on the rack to avoid heel interference.
Old 11-21-16, 08:44 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Sure wish I had the Cdale panniers I toured with in the late 70's. They were a large version of their behind the seat bag shaped like a barrel. One flat zipper across the pack accessed the interior. The things were indestructible. They had a metal frame and lifted on and off the rack. Cdale nailed the mount. I remember having to push them all the way back on the rack to avoid heel interference.
I had the early version of those before they "nailed the mount." Mine attached by S hooks, which held them fine to the rack, but the fixing bar built into the bag was a plastic strip that the other end of the S hook connected to. I recall a windy afternoon in northern Germany in '74 when the plastic bar in one bag snapped. Good thing they had wire coat hangers nearby. I later made metal strips to replace the other plastic one and the coat hanger. These things were a revelation to the Europeans; I had folks on the street try to buy them off my bike.
Old 11-21-16, 09:07 PM
TiHabanero

I sent one of those Miyata "Farm Implements" out on a world tour in the 90's. The guys riding partner quit in Africa, and he went on by himself. He didn't finish the round the world trip, but did get to Iran and turned around. Still has the bike today. It is beat and shows a lot of wear from the tour. Those APA Miyata frames were tough as nails.
Old 11-21-16, 09:10 PM
TiHabanero

Originally Posted by thumpism
I had the early version of those before they "nailed the mount." Mine attached by S hooks, which held them fine to the rack, but the fixing bar built into the bag was a plastic strip that the other end of the S hook connected to. I recall a windy afternoon in northern Germany in '74 when the plastic bar in one bag snapped. Good thing they had wire coat hangers nearby. I later made metal strips to replace the other plastic one and the coat hanger. These things were a revelation to the Europeans; I had folks on the street try to buy them off my bike.

The bags I had used the hooks, but the frame was aluminum. Bought them in 1977. While Pete was untying his Gerry Pack, I just pulled the Cdale off the rack (Pletcher racks in those days, wobble wobble).
Old 11-21-16, 09:18 PM
orcas island 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 109 Posts
Vintage panniers

I owned several sets of Kangaroo Baggs in the mid 1980's that I used on long tours with my 1984 Specialixed Expedition. They worked great, looked cool, and best of all they were black!
Not the highest visibility bags, but they did come with a reflective strip sewn onto the rear of each bag. Not waterproof, but that wasn't an issue in California in the summertime
Old 11-21-16, 11:19 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,125 Times in 554 Posts
Not mine, unfortunately. Seen in passing while visiting Paris.

Old 11-21-16, 11:35 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by bulldog1935
Lone Peak is still around from the old days:
Panniers
They were around then? It makes sense. I forgot about them I guess. My inclination would be to go for the Lone Peaks. Though the designs clearly have not changed since 1982, they are brand new. Besides that they are: reasonably priced, made in USA, good design.

Frankly a lot of junky cheap stuff was sold in 1982. Those ebay bags look pretty bad to me. I'd hold out for Cannondale or Jannd if you must buy musty old bags. You do need to be a bit pragmatic if you actually do go on a bike camping trip.
Old 11-22-16, 05:00 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
I searched and searched, and probably paid way too much for my first set of Cannondale Overlands. And then I found another set, and then another, and another... The last set I got was a nice set of Overlands, a mint rear rack bag with the plastic insulating/protective bin, 2 saddle bags and a handlebar bag- which I gifted to the guy who found it for me... Someone here pointed to a CL ad. I just wanted the rear rack bag. $50, excellent condition.

Keep looking- they'll fall into your lap. I know it means nothing when you're looking, but all of a sudden...

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 11-22-16, 07:24 AM
katzenfinch

Bikes: Chapman Rando, Rivendell Atlantis, Trek 2100, Bridgestone MB5, Burley Duet, Trek 614

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
In the ’80s I toured with Nashbar rear panniers, Tailwind front panniers on a Blackburn low-rider rack, and a Rhode Gear rack trunk. You might also consider having someone like Waxwing Bag Co. make new bags in the color and style you want.
Old 11-22-16, 07:33 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
They were around then? It makes sense. I forgot about them I guess. My inclination would be to go for the Lone Peaks. Though the designs clearly have not changed since 1982, they are brand new. Besides that they are: reasonably priced, made in USA, good design.
yeah, Lone Peak was sold side-by-side with Rhode Gear in the late 70s/ early 80s. I bought the latter, and my buddy still has some of his Lone Peak stuff from the same time. Basically indestructible heavy (in the good way) cordura.
Old 11-22-16, 07:39 AM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
I had/have Frostline panniers. Incidentally, my Frostline panniers were international orange, the color so-named due to its high visibility.
I had the same set and a matching handlebar bag. Inside of the material got kind of sticky after a while but they worked OK and a nice idea with the DIY kit.

Personally for vintage I like the look and functionality of the Cannondale Overlands. Lots of pockets and they keep their shape and stay mounted well over bumps. I have a knock off set made my Nashbar out of thinner nylon but they have held up well over the years. I have two Cannondale Trestle handlebar bags which make a nice complement to the panniers.

For touring though I now use an older set of REI panniers with built in high-viz lime green rain covers. Water protection is more important to me while touring than the vintage look.

BTW @rideandgoseek I like your 1000 - nice bike! I have an '84 model and I love the ride. One other advantage with the Cannondale bags and the internal frames is that the tops line up perfectly with the platform racks like you have and make a nice wide surface to strap items across the rack and bags and still be able to get into the bags easily with the side zippers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.