Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Broke my bell

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Broke my bell

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-18, 03:02 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked 506 Times in 321 Posts
Broke my bell

Last Friday, I swerved off my local MUP and crashed. Today, the bike and (mostly) myself are back enough to do a few laps around the court and I'm thrilled. My right eye still has a pretty good shiner and I'm not that presentable but feeling pretty good.

I just wanted to share with you'all. I'm 65 and have rarely crashed since working in the LBS and riding so many miles starting about 1969. As far as I can tell I went off the path to avoid some kids and into the grass the front tire caught on something that knocked me onto my right hip and my face. The helmet shows no marks but I'll get a new one.

Cleaning up the bike this morning I was sad to see my bell was trashed. I'm a big bell ringer and get such a kick when a little rider rings back at me as I pass. My front fender was pretty twisted but came right back into shape when I loosened and readjusted the mounting.

Love, Joe
Old 02-13-18, 03:08 PM
Honusms 

Bikes: More than my husband knows about

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
Glad it was the bell that was trashed and not something more critical (like your head)! I'm really happy that I have a good loud bell when I'm on our local MUPs. There's no left?-right?-where-are-you really? confusion with a stout ringer.
Old 02-13-18, 05:22 PM
CreakingCrank

Bikes: Two. One daily rider. One with detachment issues.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Glad you're okay, relatively speaking. I'm a horn guy with a bugle horn mounted on the stem. I use it when there's a group, or kids, or people with dogs to give warning from farther away.
Old 02-13-18, 05:38 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
...As far as I can tell I went off the path to avoid some kids and into the grass the front tire caught on something that knocked me onto my right hip and my face...
That happened to me a couple of times my first year back in the saddle in 2015 (I hadn't ridden since the 1980s).

Most of our paved MUP is just a sidewalk, same 4' width as any narrow residential neighborhood sidewalk. Much too narrow for the intended purpose. When I'd approach the most popular part of the MUP, near the parks, I'd go around the slower moving families with kids and dogs, etc.

Usually I had no problems veering off into the grass and going around. But a couple of times I got careless, nicked the edge of the pavement and my wheel was knocked out from under me. I fell in the grass at fairly slow speed, so it was just embarrassing, no injuries.

But when something similar occurred last year at night (I misjudged a turn at a "Y" split) I fell on the pavement and busted up my ribs. That hurt, for several weeks.

I no longer go around folks. Either I slow down and wait to pass after announcing myself, or ride on the adjacent gravel trail (much wider and less used).

Mostly I just don't ride the MUP anymore. Especially in group rides. It's really not designed or suitable for anything faster than 8-10 mph, tops, and much too crowded some days in some areas. My own neighborhood streets and nearby rural routes are safer, despite the vehicle traffic. Most drivers are pretty courteous.
Old 02-13-18, 06:50 PM
bkentr

Bikes: yes, Bikes

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm truly sorry your bell was broken, and glad that you are not.
I do understand how quickly falls can happen.

I'm also very fond of having a bell, not just for the practical use, but also because the sound somehow
reminds me of being younger, kids riding around and around, just because it's fun, and happier, friendlier times.

Might as well put in a plug for my favorite bell, since I bought two more last Friday.

They're brass. "Incredibell , Brass DUET, Cloche de Velo. By Mirrycle Corporation , Boulder CO.
Besides the resonant ring, which have loved for years, I'm pleasantly surprised to see that they are made in Japan,
not China. The price keeps on going up of course. Now around $12 at local bike store.

bkentr
Old 02-14-18, 05:57 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
OMGosh!!!! NOT THE BELL!!!!!

My 3 bells are 40+ years old. Mickey Mouse, Schwinn and American Flag. They have a light tone chime resulting in smiles and "THANK YOU" responses from other "geezers" when I ring. If anything would happen to them I would be devastated. Hope nothing happens to the new bell.....and BTW..... glad the bike and you are OK.
Old 02-14-18, 08:10 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
...the bike and (mostly) myself are back enough to do a few laps around the court and I'm thrilled.
I'm also thrilled it was not worse.
Old 02-14-18, 09:58 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Honusms
Glad it was the bell that was trashed and not something more critical (like your ... )
For a second there I misread bell. Glad no serious injuries.
Old 02-14-18, 04:32 PM
Joe Bikerider

Went out today for about an hour on the local MUP. I need that bell, my left thumb kept looking for the ringer. Handlebars were not quite straight and that bothered me but mostly the left thumb looking for the ringer. Especially when at the main MUP junction. Why does everyone from walking old ladies to crowds of MIMIL who are meeting there think hanging around in the middle of the trail is the right thing to do? Yes, there's a sign there with a map so step off an look at it. Please. Anyway great to be out again and back on the road for another long time. Thanks for all the kind comments. Joe
Old 02-14-18, 05:28 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
A common bike accident is to ride off the pavement and try to steer back on. If the front wheel catches on the edge of the pavement you will fall suddenly. That's how I broke my hip.
Old 02-15-18, 06:26 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Time for a bell replacement. Try a new whistle. Preferably a Bobby's whistle.
Old 02-15-18, 06:39 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
Iron horse? That can get pretty crowded. Glad you are OK. I ride with a group out there and we've had our share of interactions.
Old 02-15-18, 02:39 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by bkentr

Might as well put in a plug for my favorite bell, since I bought two more last Friday.

They're brass. "Incredibell , Brass DUET, Cloche de Velo. By Mirrycle Corporation , Boulder CO.
Besides the resonant ring, which have loved for years, I'm pleasantly surprised to see that they are made in Japan,
not China. The price keeps on going up of course. Now around $12 at local bike store.
I have Duet bells on two single bikes and we have two on our tandem.
Old 02-16-18, 08:33 PM
Joe Bikerider

Out today. First stop our (sort of) monthly meeting with the WC traffic department head guy about excess traffic and speed on Walnut Blvd. Seems like progress may be coming, at least he makes it seem positive. Even mentioned the possibility of blocking off the road, I had suggested a 10 ton block of concrete a while ago. If there's a stop sign no one uses, then this might make them stop. Off to the PH library to get a new book. Around the loop and sat in the park for a while in beautiful sun on the way home. Very nice day. A nice sleep tonight will speed the healing on my right hip bruise. Hmm.

Last edited by Joe Bikerider; 02-16-18 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-16-18, 08:58 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts
It happens. Best plan is to just keep riding IMHO.

I figure as long as I'm going to ride a bike, I'm going to occasionally fall. Good news; a broken bell is a pretty good deal, as far as falls go.
Old 02-18-18, 08:21 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
"... I went off the path to avoid some kids ..."

Your story supports my contention that MUPs are not the safety panacea some folks tout them to be. They are great if you ride at pedestrian speeds or perhaps twice that (8-10mph), but definitely not for those of us who average close to 15mph or more. For us, a buffered on-road bike lane is arguably a safer bet.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-18-18, 07:35 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
My '46 Shelby came with a Donald Duck bell...I still prefer those 'rocket' piezo horns but they the connections flake out then the wires break off...

I'm a much louder horn though.
Old 03-07-18, 06:08 PM
Joe Bikerider

I got a new bell! After looking around at local bike shops I bought a Knog OI bell from the Bike Station at PH BART. It’s the cylindrical one that wraps around the bar. Good thing I didn’t believe the internet. They were widely panned for not being loud enough and rattling on rough roads. For me it’s loud (enough) and doesn’t rattle at all. Plus looks pretty smooth on the handlebar. Great to be back at full strength. Weather getting good too!
Old 03-07-18, 06:55 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Especially when at the main MUP junction.
I know that junction!

On my commute bike I have an MP3 speaker so people can hear me coming - otherwise I'd be ringing non-stop on the Iron Horse.

I do like my Incredibell... but only when necessary... or to greet the little kids on their little kid bikes or in their jog strollers.