Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo needs a wide range drive train group

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Campagnolo needs a wide range drive train group

Old 10-22-19, 06:34 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Thanks for the response.

So I quickly browsed the jtek website and didn't find anything about what I'm hoping for.

Here is my current (untested) logic.

The internet says with 11 speed, you can run Campy or Shimano cassettes. Shouldn't this mean that Campy and Shimano have the same pull ratios?

Like I mentioned earlier, this would be for a dedicated gravel bike that will be exposed to some very fast washboards (whether my butt likes it or not). I definitely want the clutch to keep chain slap down.

I currently like the idea of an 11-34 on a 2x11 system but could see a change in the future to 1x and using the left side for a dropper post.

This pretty much eliminates anything Campy except possibly the shifters and front derailleur.

Fun fact, my old skool gravel bike is 1x and has a Campy road crank. Every time I do something absurd with it, I like to laugh that it's probably the only Campy part that has ever been there.
Cable pull =/= cassette spacing.

You can use campagnolo, SRAM and Shimano 11-speed cassettes and chains interchangeably because the spacing between the sprockets in the same, so the rear derailleur moves the chain the same distance left-to-right-to-left-again for each shift.

However the cable pull ratios are different on all 3, so when you click a campagnolo shifter, it will pull a different amount of cable to what a shimano shifter will for the same click. This means that a Campag shifter connected to a Shimano derailleur (or vice versa) will not travel the right distance from right-to-left to get you from the 11 to the 32 and all points between (others here will be able to tell you if it will leave you short or overshot, but basically it won't get you there).

You can still use a Campag RD up to 34t, and if you want to go bigger at the back you can look into a Wolftooth Roadlink as others have mentioned.
Old 10-22-19, 06:47 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Wow, had no clue that there was some serious dislike, perhaps even hatred towards Campagnolo by so many! It is just bike stuff, folks.

I dislike Shimano's and Sram's execution on their brifters. I really like Campagnolo's setup as it really works with my head and hands. Have always used barends and downtube shifters up to this year, then went to Campy 11 speed at the insistence of my son. Now, after 1500 miles of use, I am really sold on brifters, and will consider them on my new touring rig when Campy has something available that can get the lows a loaded touring machine often requires. I don't walk climbs, I ride them.
Old 10-22-19, 07:51 PM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts

Fun fact, my old skool gravel bike is 1x and has a Campy road crank. Every time I do something absurd with it, I like to laugh that it's probably the only Campy part that has ever been there.

Kinda like this?
Old 10-22-19, 07:54 PM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
Cable pull =/= cassette spacing.

You can use campagnolo, SRAM and Shimano 11-speed cassettes and chains interchangeably because the spacing between the sprockets in the same, so the rear derailleur moves the chain the same distance left-to-right-to-left-again for each shift.

However the cable pull ratios are different on all 3, so when you click a campagnolo shifter, it will pull a different amount of cable to what a shimano shifter will for the same click. This means that a Campag shifter connected to a Shimano derailleur (or vice versa) will not travel the right distance from right-to-left to get you from the 11 to the 32 and all points between (others here will be able to tell you if it will leave you short or overshot, but basically it won't get you there).

You can still use a Campag RD up to 34t, and if you want to go bigger at the back you can look into a Wolftooth Roadlink as others have mentioned.
Almost....Campy chains are narrower than the others and the teeth on some non-Campy rings are too wide.
Old 10-23-19, 07:25 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
A campy 11 RD may require a wolf tooth road link to clear a 34T sprocket. The new Chorus 12 RD has a similar device already attached to it. Campy sells a nicely spaced 12-32 11 speed cassette, but no 11-34. Shimano's 11-34 has horrible spacing with 2T jumps between the smaller cogs. The 11-36 would be even worse.

Campy 11 sprocket spacing is actually a little larger than the others, but apparently close enough to be tolerable.
Old 10-23-19, 08:47 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Hmm, as much as I prefer the feel of Ergo, it seems that Shimano STI will be on the next bike.

Also, I think gear jumps are a bigger issue in flat places. I run 11-42 1x10 on my current monster and only occasionally feel in between. My 10 speed Campagnolo road bike has a 12-25 and 12-30 I switch around. No worries.

My racing days were 8 and 9 speed, so this still feels like the future.
Old 10-27-19, 09:29 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Originally Posted by pickettt
Kinda like this?
Think older and dirtier.