Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Metallic Clinking Noise After New Cassette + Chain

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-20, 01:21 PM
jgordo32

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all -

I have a Felt B14 running 11spd shimano (ultegra / 105 mix) which I recently moved onto a tacx neo2 direct drive trainer about a month ago. Previously I had been only riding it outdoors and with a wheel-on trainer. I've been running this new setup for about a month with no major issues, but a few creaks / noises that I'm now trying to dig into and see if I can get them resolved. There are two main ones I'm going to describe, I believe they're unrelated but I'm a novice so figured I'd put all the information out there:
  1. Higher pitched metallic clinking noise always when pedaling, not just when putting in high power like my first issue. This specifically started right after I installed a new cassette, but the cassette and free hub configuration is exactly the same as what was on there previous, just a brand new sparking cassette. Also worth noting that the day before this I installed a new chain. The only thing I can think of is that I need to tighten the cassette lock ring further, I don't have a torque wrench so I have to estimate the 40Nm spec. Another experiment that I plan to run later today is to see if the clinking noise is happening on all cogs or just the one that I currently have it running on. I use erg mode on the tacx trainer so I generally never shift. I also double checked the Tacx Neo2 installation instructions and confirmed it says I don't need any spacers on the freehub when using 11spd shimano.
  2. Creaking noise when pedaling at high power, especially when standing up on trainer if I get any rocking motion / high torque. Focusing on the standing up and high power scenario since that is when this noise is worst and most noticeable, it sounds like a relatively low pitched creaking noise coming from the bottom bracket or crank area. It seems to always occur at a particular part of my pedal stroke too, roughly when my left crank arm is moving from 1 o'clock to 9 o'clock. I have not attempted anything to address this yet other than a brief cleaning of chain rings and crank area which seems to have made no difference.

For issue #1 I have some ideas that I'm going to try and then I'll post updates, but I'm very interested to hear what everyone thinks based on my initial description.

For #2 I'm quite stuck since I don't have any experience working on the crank / chainrings / bottom bracket area.

Thanks in advance for the help
Old 04-22-20, 01:31 PM
Eggman84

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
My two cents:

#1 ) Even though you replaced the cassette with an "exactly" identical cassette, there may be just enough difference how the two fit on the freehub (one may be just slightly further inboard) that you need to adjust the derailleur so the chain is lined up on the cog. If you look at cassette from the rear, you might see that the chain is just touching/catching on the next larger cog. You would also expect the clicking noise to be on all teh cogs, though different number of teeth between adjacent cogs may have more or less interference.

#2 ) Creaks are hard, could be teh trainer as much as the bike,

Good luck, may just need to turn up teh music so you don't hear the background creaks..
Old 04-24-20, 02:55 PM
Freerojo

Bikes: 1997 Specialized Hardrock GX, 2008 Specialized Roubaix Triple 105, 1996 Cannondale RT2000 tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
#2 I would spray lubricant on the rear quick release business. You wouldn’t think it but I had that issue.
Old 04-24-20, 10:35 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Another guess for #1 : make sure you routed the chain properly through the rear derailleur after you took it off.