Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Clear coat paint ontop of patina

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-20, 02:23 PM
WillBradley1

Bikes: Sid Standard Superbe (1981) - Benotto Modello 1700 Pista (1976) - DBS damesykkel (1960)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi there,

Just curious if anyone has tried a proper proffesional dip and bake clear coat ontop of an old paint job, keeping the chips but preventing rust. I have several battered old frames ive done many miles on and am pretty fond of the chips. Something dies with a complete repaint, also in some cases, the exact decals will be almost certainly un-sourcable.

Guessing there will be a bit of an issue with it not bonding to raw steel without a primer?
Old 07-28-20, 02:52 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
I wouldn't. I've seen the result and didn't like it. No way of undoing it, either.

The classic solution is a wipe-down with an oily rag every once in a while.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 07-28-20, 05:47 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
My guess would be that the coating would be too thick. Too thick would hide frame lug and pantograph details, if any. Just an opinion - never actually tried it.
Old 07-28-20, 06:08 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 610 Posts
I've done a Schwinn Prelude with a couple light coats of Krylon Clear Enamel and I was quite pleased with the results. The paint was dull and some of the decals had faded slightly. It brought the shine back, brought some of the color back out on the faded decals and stopped any further rusting of the bare spots and no one could tell unless I told them. I also did my Grandfather's 1920's Deitz kerosene lantern 15 to 20 years ago. I simply cleaned off the loose rust and gave it 2 light coats of clear enamel. It retained the rustic look and kept it from rusting more. We use it when the power goes out and the heat from the flame has had no effect on the finish.

The difference in the following pictures isn't that noticeable but in person it was quite a difference.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Old 07-28-20, 06:36 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
It depends. If it's an expensive classic bike that you're going to keep in the living room then, no. Don't clear coat it. Ride it on sunny days and keep it clean with furniture polish. But, if it's going to be a daily rider for workouts & commuting in the rain then, yes. Clear coat that bike. A nice clear lacquer in a spray can is a good choice.
Old 07-29-20, 04:20 PM
WillBradley1

Bikes: Sid Standard Superbe (1981) - Benotto Modello 1700 Pista (1976) - DBS damesykkel (1960)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I’ve been doing the oily wipe down solution for the last couple years without too much bother, it’s on a treasured Benotto pista that I bought extremely battered and have riden for many many miles around Copenhagen. I don’t think I can bring myself to clear coat it, despite people showing some nice results. Maybe just over the decals, as they are really on there last legs. Anyone have any tips specifically for preserving decals?
Old 07-29-20, 05:43 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
I think it makes sense to clear over a bike like the Schwinn shown below, that basically looks new, to freshen it up.
Over an aged patina makes no sense to me. Keeping the patina is about embracing the aging process that happens as an object is used. Freezing that process with a shiny coat runs counter to that aesthetic. Likewise I can't stand seeing a nice old worn antique wooden piece that someone has "fixed up" with a couple coats of gloss polyurethane.
Old 07-29-20, 06:45 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
I once did some two-part clear over the well-worn patina on an old Moto Le Champion. In my estimation it came out ok, no complaints from the owner I did it for!

If you go this route, start with just a dusting and ramp up the coat thickness as you go. "Fat over lean" as they say.
Old 07-29-20, 06:55 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1951 Post(s)
Liked 2,012 Times in 1,111 Posts
I repainted an old classic with terrible paint and I'll never do it again. I put clear lacquer over another one and wished I hadn't. I carefully used rubbing coumpound around the decals on a third and then put three coats of car wax on a third and that is my go to patina preservation technique from now on. Try it. You can always spray it later. If you spray first, you have to live with it. A few coats of was after a good rubdown is sweet.
Old 07-29-20, 07:06 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
If you got a fine old bike with scratchy paint try this. Get a aerosol can of cheap furniture polish. Like lemon pledge or something. Spray it on the bike. Take a soft rag. Wipe it down. Perfect. Be good. Have fun.
Old 07-29-20, 08:13 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Pledge is a silicone oil.