Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone else feel that Xtracycle is pricing itself out?

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Anyone else feel that Xtracycle is pricing itself out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-11, 08:02 PM
KDC1956

Bikes: Surly LHT 52cm Nice Bicycle I think.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think the xtracycle is price about right now days.Like gas back in my day gas was 23.9 to 26.9 a gal.So I am old lol.Look at it now days wow gas cost way to much but we still have to go places so why not go by bicycle sure it will take longer to get there.But your body will love it over time.Xtracycle has great stuff I put a lot of money in to my Big Dummy and the Xtracycle parts lets me do what I want to do save gas money and live a better life well I hope anyway.I look at it this way when I am gone where will your money be it want be with you so use it while you can and start to have fun riding again.My 2 cents anyway.P.S I do want to order a Xtracycle kit later in 2012 for my Surly LHT.
Old 12-11-11, 11:02 AM
cabledawg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I didnt know the Xtracycle existed until about this time last year. At the time, my wife and I were lookig to do more outdoor stuff with the kids and her and I had been really into cycling versus driving everywhere. So the kids were getting older and we thought it was time for biking to make a comeback into out lives. We soon realized that backpacks werent a good way to make quick grocery runs and the trailer was full of kids. Then I saw someone on Bikeforums that had an Xtra. I was sold on the concept and the following spring I made my purchase for the add-on kit, Flightdeck, H-racks and Freeloaders. I have loved this so much that I bought a slightly used setup to install on my wife's bike. I've carried kids and groceries and even have a bracket to carry a standard bike (without rider) on the back of my Xtra. I lost weight, saved gas, and spent many hours just pedalling around with the family. Sure it's a little extra weight to ride with on the days I dont need to carry stuff, but it is convenient for the days I didnt plan to carry stuff and had last minute plans to grab groceries or Friday night beer runs on my way home from work.

So is the new FreeRadical worth $500? TO me, it is, and that's all that matters!
Old 12-11-11, 12:00 PM
Fat tabby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As long as the company is providing a decent living for its employees and their familys. Then no, it's not.

It's too much for me though. I work in manufacturing, and understand that there is a lot of work in it, almost as much as a full frame, and can understand the price.

However that is also the problem. If I am going to pay for the work of a full frame I may as well buy a full frame. Over here the Freeradical kit is £449.99. A Yuba Mondo frame is £499. I'd rather have the rigidity and attached frame rails of a designed solution.

It's a shame, but when the "Bodge" costs as much as "Doing it properly" it's hard for me to make a case. (I know those are loaded terms and there is more to the choice, I'm just trying to illustrate my thinking.)

Last edited by Fat tabby; 12-11-11 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-11-11, 05:10 PM
cabledawg

Yeah but that $500 is just for the Mundo frame, you still need all the tires/wheels/gearsets/everything else and the bags are quite a bit more expensive for the Mundo than for an Xtra. The $500 you spend on the FreeRadical will get you the frame extension, conversion hardware, and bags/racks. Ready to use with just about any non-rear suspended bike. May not hold as much as the Mundo so if weight capacity is your thing, then the FreeRadical probably isnt for you. And the FreeRadical isnt a "bodge" just as much as the Mundo isnt "doing it properly", they're just different options to get you hauling cargo with something that rides almost like a regular bike versus using a trailer or a trike.
Old 12-13-11, 04:28 PM
xoalaska

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat tabby
As long as the company is providing a decent living for its employees and their familys. Then no, it's not.

It's too much for me though. I work in manufacturing, and understand that there is a lot of work in it, almost as much as a full frame, and can understand the price.

However that is also the problem. If I am going to pay for the work of a full frame I may as well buy a full frame. Over here the Freeradical kit is £449.99. A Yuba Mondo frame is £499. I'd rather have the rigidity and attached frame rails of a designed solution.

It's a shame, but when the "Bodge" costs as much as "Doing it properly" it's hard for me to make a case. (I know those are loaded terms and there is more to the choice, I'm just trying to illustrate my thinking.)
Typically the bodge take an unused old mtb frame and makes it useful.

Mundos are great, but they are heavier.
Old 12-23-11, 10:09 AM
Kimmitt 

Bikes: RadRunner Plus, Kona Dew Deluxe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Deleted for pointlessness.

Last edited by Kimmitt; 12-23-11 at 10:10 AM. Reason: pfeh.
Old 12-24-11, 12:24 AM
hopperja

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
Yes, with a plethora of options out there... Big Dummy, Sun Cargo Bike, Yuba Mundo, etc... The Extra Cycle is relatively expensive compared to those options. I mean, I can get a Sun Cargo bike brand new for slightly more than the cost of an Extra Cycle. The Extra Cycle is definitely a great idea, but in my book if I was looking at a long-tail option, I'd probably be looking elsewhere. Of course, I have a couple of great trailers, so I won't be looking for a long tail anytime in the near future.
Old 12-24-11, 08:19 AM
cabledawg

Again with the Sun Atlas Cargo, the price is $680 for just the bike, this doesnt include any racks/decks/bags. Add $300 for the stuff to carry cargo and you've doubled the cost of the FreeRadical. But if you're looking at basic kit costs (so it's an apples to apples comparision), the FreeRadical is now $200; quite a bit cheaper than the Mundo or Atlas Cargo and you re-utilize your current bike.
Old 12-24-11, 06:53 PM
cyclocello

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dollar value is nice and all, but what about performance, and durability? When you buy a cargo bike from the ground up, it's designed around the cargo platform. So it is stiffer, lighter (relative to load capacity) and the stress on the frame is less.
Old 12-24-11, 06:54 PM
cyclocello

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cabledawg
Add $300 for the stuff to carry cargo and you've doubled the cost of the FreeRadical.
you forgot the cost of the bike attached to the freeradical
Old 12-26-11, 01:29 AM
jankdc

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclocello
you forgot the cost of the bike attached to the freeradical
Not it you have an old mountain bike laying around. Many times they have better components than those that come with the Sun. Don't get me wrong, no matter how you look at it, longbikes aren't cheap. Personally, I am so glad I bit the bullet and got one (I got a good deal on a used bike with x-tracycle kit). I am doing so much more biking now and having a lot of fun running errands and haulings stuff with it.
Old 12-31-11, 07:38 PM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I knew when I saw them, I was going to have to have one. I didn't even have a bicycle when I ordered my Freeradical. I feel that it is worth every penny I have spent, even with buying a new bike to attach the Freeradical to.
Old 01-03-12, 07:47 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
just looking it seems that some of the radish options are not that pricy......

https://www.xtracycle.com/cargo-bicyc...argo-bike.html