Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Smartphone use on road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-15, 10:04 AM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How useful is a smartphone? Do you mount it on your bars (rough roads cause some large shocks)?
  • Two days ago, I got my first smartphone (Samsung Note 4 - the electronic stylus won me over). I've always carried my cell phone (in a plastic bag in a jersey pocket).
  • I also have a Garmin 705 that I bought 5 years ago (six weeks after I started riding - I felt I needed heart and cadence info).
  • I plan to keep it in my back pocket unless I get a call (I always stop before I answer any call) or I get lost (rare, but I have always found the Garmin very difficult to use when that happened - it's great to follow a pre-loaded course, though).
  • Two friends use their iPhones audio for turn-by-turn instructions - they both also have good Garmin devices, but they prefer the audio. They keep the iPhone in the back. I assume the similar audio is possible with an Android system, but I haven't even looked into it.

What's your experience? Thanks, as always...
Old 07-26-15, 10:26 AM
bassplyr

Bikes: Trek Domane, Specialized Secteur, Giant Roam 1, Trek 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used my smartphone mounted on the handlebars until a month ago. I started using the Wahoo RFLKT and keep my phone in the underseat bag. Don't have to worry about damage to the phone from shocks or crashes. Calls and emails are out of sight, out of mind.

Roger
Old 07-26-15, 11:20 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I always bring my smartphone on a ride for 2 reasons:

1. Any sort of emergency that needs 911, or less extreme emergencies where I can call a cab or a friend to pick me up (my bike frame broke once while I was riding - that's not the sort of thing you can bring repair equipment for lol). I've never had to call 911, and was able to walk home that one time with the frame breaking (rusted out at the downtube), but a cell phone is a device that let's you communicate with anyone from (almost) anywhere - I think it would be stupid not to bring it. If you prefer to leave it off and only turn it on for emergencies that's fine with me to, but it's the best emergency device you could have with you.

2. It makes my rides around new places FAR more relaxing knowing that if I get lost, I can pull out my cell phone and bring up google maps and find out exactly where I am and figure out how to get back.

I don't use my cell phone almost at all when riding, but having it as a backup makes my rides more relaxing.
Old 07-26-15, 11:37 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Kept in pocket. It's nice when it uploads Garmin data from the 510 after the ride.

Don't count on a phone to call for help in a crash. Mine was crushed in the jersey pocket and useless last time. Now I put the spare tube over it for cushioning.

Mind you, it's the MotoX, which on YouTube has been hit with rubber mallets and run over by autos without crushing it.
Old 07-26-15, 12:27 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Cell phones are amazingly tough against shock and vibration. Direct impacts and bending break the glass, but a bike mount and your handlebars prevent that in all but a flip. The vibration on a road bike, even one with a brutal ride quality, is nothing. On the other hand, falling on it in your back pocket is not good. Find a mount or bag that puts it where you want it and don't worry about it.

Usefull? I almost never use mine other than emergencies. My wife can check my location if she wants, as can I. I don't like fretting over a zillion metrics mid ride. Camera comes in handy (never had to document a crash). Have searched for local services, like when I broke a cleat. Yes, it is useful, but not in my face.
Old 07-26-15, 03:22 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I have an iPhone 5s, carry it every ride, track each with Strava. It is attached to my stem on a Rokform Pro Series mount, it isn't coming off unless I take it off.
If one of the kids or my wife calls I will immediately know it (they do not call unless it is an emergency).
Old 07-26-15, 05:38 PM
Ravenwing

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Note 4 as well, and have it mounted to the stem, using an Otterbox Defender case and holster, and a cheap (walmart) mount that is sort of a gummy rubber thingie that is designed to wrap around the phone. At first I mounted the phone directly to that mount, but with the rough roads around here, it was shaking the heck out of the phone, and actually ruined two camera lenses from rattling around and hitting the top of the stem. Now I clip the holster to the flexible mount. It keeps the shaking down to almost nothing, and the holster protects the camera lens. I have a Garmin Fenix 3 that I wear to track rides, but like to use the IPBike computer app on the phone as well. Gives me all the relevant stats at a glance on one screen. I like to have a phone with me, and keeping a note 4 in a jersey pocket feels clunky.
Old 07-26-15, 05:46 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22598 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Depends on your goals. I have an iPhone. At start of ride I turn on Strava app. Phone goes in back pocket. Does not get used unless I get or make a text/call. Stop strava at end if ride.

They make mounts if you want to use phone display but since you have a garmin that's not needed.
Old 07-26-15, 09:32 PM
scplus5

Bikes: 2009 caad 9

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Depends on your goals. I have an iPhone. At start of ride I turn on Strava app. Phone goes in back pocket. Does not get used unless I get or make a text/call. Stop strava at end if ride.

They make mounts if you want to use phone display but since you have a garmin that's not needed.
My use almost exactly, except I ignore calls and texts. I'm riding to get away from people, not remain connected.
Iphone 6, lifeproof case, in a jersey pocket.
Old 07-27-15, 04:09 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by hobkirk
How useful is a smartphone? Do you mount it on your bars (rough roads cause some large shocks)?...

What's your experience? Thanks, as always...
I carry a cell phone for communication, in particular because I am often on call for work; for navigation; as a camera; and as a listening device. I like to keep my I-Phone 6+ on my chest close to my head so I can hear it, and have it easily accessible to answer a call, take a photo, or spot my position on the confusing, haphazard thoroughfares of Metro Boston. Earlier this year I replied to this thread, ”Water proof cases for iPhones”, describing a badge holder suspended from the neck, in which it nicely fit.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
My wife was dubious when I bought an IPhone 6+, warning me it could easily fall out of my shirt pocket (into the toilet). So I was delighted when that very weekend I went to a national meeting…and they distributed the great meeting ID badge holders pictured below.

On the front is a clear plastic small badge holder for my work ID, needed to gain access through the entrance where I take my bike. On the reverse is larger clear plastic pocket, a perfect fit for the I Phone 6+. Inserted upside down allows easy access to the headphone jack and home button, the speaker is unobstructed, and I can still use the touch screen. Between the badge and IPhone holders is a flat zippered pocket for my power cord.

On the bike I wear it around my neck underneath my innermost jersey, resting on my T-shirt so it is kept warm next my chest, insulated by the outer layers, and protected from sweat by the plastic case and T-shirt. Notifications and sounds from my playlist are easily audible. The weight of the Phone is noticeable…I then wear it all day at work as my ID badgeholder.

So far, I’ve ridden with it down to 19º F. No drenching rain yet, and I have pretty good rainwear, but I likely would not ride in a drenching rain anyways, and a Ziplock bag would provide additional protection. Summer was well over when I got it so those conditions await experience.

So now after I came home from the meeting, I jokingly quote my wife as, “You went to Philadelphia and only brought back that crummy badgeholder?.”

Eventually, the weight of the phone on my neck became a nuisance, so I started carrying it in a side pocket inside my cycling vest, but then it was less readily available, harder to quickly pick up a call, and more awkward to use for the other tasks.

So my final, and most satisfactory innovation was to buy a Hidden Security Waist Wallet with a top zippered opening from L.L. Bean for about $9.00, and a pair of suspenders with clips. I then shortened the front suspender straps as short as possible, and fashioned a “shoulder holster” as it were, that comfortably holds the I-phone high to make it easily accessible.

[

I call it an ”I-bra.” . As mentioned above, I usually wear a yellow cycling vest, so the holster doesn’t show.

FYI, see also this thread,”Keeping your smartphone waterproof; how?”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PC130018.jpg (74.9 KB, 21 views)
PC130019.jpg (3.5 KB, 183 views)
DSCN0901.jpg (92.9 KB, 21 views)
DSCN0905.jpg (86.5 KB, 22 views)
DSCN0906.jpg (77.1 KB, 22 views)
DSCN0908.jpg (66.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 07-27-15, 05:10 PM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ravenwing
I have a Note 4 as well, and have it mounted to the stem, using an Otterbox Defender case and holster, and a cheap (walmart) mount that is sort of a gummy rubber thingie that is designed to wrap around the phone. At first I mounted the phone directly to that mount, but with the rough roads around here, it was shaking the heck out of the phone, and actually ruined two camera lenses from rattling around and hitting the top of the stem. Now I clip the holster to the flexible mount. It keeps the shaking down to almost nothing, and the holster protects the camera lens. I have a Garmin Fenix 3 that I wear to track rides, but like to use the IPBike computer app on the phone as well. Gives me all the relevant stats at a glance on one screen. I like to have a phone with me, and keeping a note 4 in a jersey pocket feels clunky.
THANX
You prompted me to get a case. GREAT reviews on Amazon for yours but a reference by the #1 (2?) reviewer pointed me to another one which seemed like it might be better.

I'm a full-fledged Fred - I wear a handlebar bag on my bike, so I actually use that.

PS - a front bag is incredibly convenient - I've carried a giant cup of lemonade with ice, extra water bottles, bandana for mopping my brow - it's wonderful.
Old 07-27-15, 05:11 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
I still use paper maps. My phone, an ancient Juke that is tiny and decidedly stupid, stays off until I need to use it(generally to call the wife to let her know I finished my ride and did not die).

Cycling is my escape from phones, computers, technology, stress, etc. When I come to an intersection, I often pick the more interesting way to go. If I had a phone telling me I should have gone straight when I decided to go left, I'd probably chuck the thing in the ditch.
Old 07-27-15, 05:13 PM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry a cell phone for communication, in particular because I am often on call for work; for navigation; as a camera; and as a listening device. I like to keep my I-Phone 6+ on my chest close to my head so I can hear it, and have it easily accessible to answer a call, take a photo, or spot my position on the confusing, haphazard thoroughfares of Metro Boston. Earlier this year I replied to this thread, ”Water proof cases for iPhones”, describing a badge holder suspended from the neck, in which it nicely fit.

Eventually, the weight of the phone on my neck became a nuisance, so I started carrying it in a side pocket inside my cycling vest, but then it was less readily available, harder to quickly pick up a call, and more awkward to use for the other tasks.

So my final, and most satisfactory innovation was to buy a Hidden Security Waist Wallet with a top zippered opening from L.L. Bean for about $9.00, and a pair of suspenders with clips. I then shortened the front suspender straps as short as possible, and fashioned a “shoulder holster” as it were, that comfortably holds the I-phone high to make it easily accessible.

[

I call it an ”I-bra.” . As mentioned above, I usually wear a yellow cycling vest, so the holster doesn’t show.

FYI, see also this thread,”Keeping your smartphone waterproof; how?”
But I only need half a bra! (mastectomy)

see me above response re my handlebar bag. But you solution seems interesting - I can imagine using it at some point in the future.
Old 07-27-15, 05:26 PM
koconcept

Bikes: Thruster single speed, 2015 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use mine to run strava but also for Google maps. I am using a handlebar mount to hold it. Having it is great if you like to take off and explore new places. I went on a new to me bike path just the other day and wound up lost for a few minutes but figured out where i needed to be with google maps. I dont have the screen on the entire ride only when i need it otherwise you will kill your battery pretty fast.
Old 07-27-15, 05:31 PM
Ravenwing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
THANX
You prompted me to get a case. GREAT reviews on Amazon for yours but a reference by the #1 (2?) reviewer pointed me to another one which seemed like it might be better.

I'm a full-fledged Fred - I wear a handlebar bag on my bike, so I actually use that.

PS - a front bag is incredibly convenient - I've carried a giant cup of lemonade with ice, extra water bottles, bandana for mopping my brow - it's wonderful.
Looks like a great case! And now you've got me interested in the handlebar bag idea.....(what the heck, I'm never going to be one of the cool kids anyway!)
Old 07-27-15, 06:18 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
But I only need half a bra! (mastectomy)

see me above response re my handlebar bag. But you solution seems interesting - I can imagine using it at some point in the future.
Hi hobkirk,

Thanks for your reply. I just noticed you post from Acton, MA, "Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!". and I'm in Boston. Do you read the Northeast Regional Discussion thread, "Metro Boston: Good ride today?", IMO the virtual de facto Metro Boston sub-forum?

Also FYA, I've written a compendium of Metro Boston cycling, and I describe the western suburbs (to include Acton):

Western: Lincoln, Lexington, Concord, Wayland, etc: Very ritzy, buccolic and historic; very popular for riding. This area IMO has the steepest hills.
Old 07-27-15, 06:36 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Garmin 510 and Motorola Droid Turbo.

The phone is in my back pocket and it has setting that know when i'm "driving" or cycling. It turns off all sounds with the exception of text and phone. It will read me the text and I can dictate a reply without touching the home. For calls I can answer it and hangup again without touching it.
Old 07-27-15, 06:37 PM
CeeDotA

Bikes: 17 TCR Advanced 2, 21 Revolt Advanced 3, 16 Trinity Advanced

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I used to have mine mounted on my handlebar as I used the Wahoo Fitness app as my bike computer. Once I switched to a Garmin Edge 500, that took its place on the bar. I still carry the phone on me -- in a SpiBelt hip belt that I also use for running -- for emergencies, as others have noted. I can always check Google Maps if I'm lost, or I can call my wife to bring the "team car" if my bike is disabled. Fortunately, neither emergency scenario has happened but I'm prepared regardless.
Old 07-27-15, 07:02 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hi hobkirk,

Thanks for your reply. I just noticed you post from Acton, MA, "Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!". and I'm in Boston. Do you read the Northeast Regional Discussion thread, "Metro Boston: Good ride today?", IMO the virtual de facto Metro Boston sub-forum?

Also FYA, I've written a compendium of Metro Boston cycling, and I describe the western suburbs (to include Acton):
My ride today included Strawberry Hill and Nagog Hill, and the Carlisle/Concord TT loop. Had I more time, I'd have ventured to Harvard. Indeed, that area helps me add some meaningful elevation in my rides.
Old 07-27-15, 07:09 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I have always has the latest iPhone; I love it.

I take it on my rides stashed in a jersey pocket but it is always turned off.

If I need to call someone or figure out where I am or where I want to go I can always turn it on; otherwise, I don't want to be bothered.

Cell phones are great, but they are just another tool.

Don't let tools run your life...

Last edited by rmfnla; 07-28-15 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-27-15, 07:23 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I love my smart phone. I keep it in a ziploc bag in my jersey pocket when cycling. I keep a few bucks and an ID in the bag as well.

I use a cheap little cycling computer mounted on my bars so I can see my speed, progress, and the time. I also use a cycling app that tracks my travels, miles, etc. that runs quietly in the background in my pocket. I really like the cycling app.

I rarely get calls or texts while I am out cycling. But if I do.... I assume they are important and I stop. If I am expecting an important call.... I'll forward it to the smart phone.
Old 07-27-15, 08:18 PM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi hobkirk,

No, Jim, I don't visit that sub-forum. When I started riding in June 5 years ago, I immediately joined Charles River Wheelmen and Nashoba Valley Pedalers. And then Wednesday Wheelers, a subset of CRW. Most unusual behavior, I am not a "joiner." I rode two CRW rides on most weekends, a NVP ride on Thursday night, and a WW ride on most Wednesdays. I rode an NVP Century in September and then a CRW Century the following weekend. LOTS of riding in the first year - 4,700 miles in 7 months, and that's through the end of December (including many rides below 20 degrees).

Manic, you say? Yeah...

Now I still belong to CRW, but I ride alone mostly except for WW. And with them I lead a ride every year, my "Bonsai Ride" (after riding through Groton, we eat lunch in the courtyard of Bonsai West, the best Bonsai "museum" I've ever seen). Two years ago, there were 70 riders! I got distracted while leading, hit a curb, and broke my hip!

This year it's on 9/23 and it's "Doug's 70th Birthday Bonsai Ride."

So, I don't know where you live, but if you want to give or receive info on rides or clubs, contact me.
Old 07-27-15, 08:26 PM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bostongarden
My ride today included Strawberry Hill and Nagog Hill, and the Carlisle/Concord TT loop. Had I more time, I'd have ventured to Harvard. Indeed, that area helps me add some meaningful elevation in my rides.
Congratulations. My "go to" ride, once or twice most weeks, is a 30 mile loop that includes Verrill Farms in Sudbury, Concord center, Monument Street, Great Brook Farm in Carlisle, Cranberry Bogs, and Pope Road over Strawberry Hill in Acton. My hill interval ride is through Boxboro into Harvard (and blasting down Route 111 on the return, spinning my 53/11 gearing as fast as I possibly can, trying to top 42 mph).

I must be REALLY smart to have moved here! Pure chance - 24 years ago, Acton had the best schools and I was a runner. Boy, did I luck out!
Old 07-28-15, 07:46 AM
rbk_3

Bikes: Trek Emonda S6

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bassplyr
I used my smartphone mounted on the handlebars until a month ago. I started using the Wahoo RFLKT and keep my phone in the underseat bag. Don't have to worry about damage to the phone from shocks or crashes. Calls and emails are out of sight, out of mind.

Roger
I also do this, but I put my phone in jersey pocket.
Old 07-28-15, 08:57 AM
cicatrize

Bikes: 2016 Emonda ALR 5, 2014 Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It depends on the riding, but I'll either keep it in a pocket or in a saddle bag, but I always bring my phone with me to both track my ride and for emergencies. You never know what might happen. I also have a Moto 360 smart watch that will give me notifications from my phone and will also let me control my current Strava ride. I generally don't even pull the phone out until I get home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.