Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Benefit of thru axle

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Benefit of thru axle

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-18, 08:05 AM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
I like both QR & TA but my preference is TA with disc.
Old 11-26-18, 08:41 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
I've never noticed this problem, and I've taken my (front) wheel off and replaced it hundreds of times to put my bike on the bike rack. Maybe it's different with rear wheels, though I don't remember this being an issue the last time I replaced the rear tire. Maybe I just have more clearance between the caliper and the rotor than some.
I was talking about quick release skewers, not thru axles.
Old 11-26-18, 09:45 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I also take my QR wheels off a disc bike often and never notice a need to line up or adjust after. They just sit at the base of the slot and tighten. Perhaps one key is to make sure the axle is sitting in its natural resting position before making the initial set up of the pads.

I don't buy the additional stiffness argument for TA's in non suspension forks. If you look at it mechanically, both QR's and TA's sit in a rigid fork and are clamped tight at the distal end. The fork itself has no play and there is not that much play going on in a clamped QR axle. Suspension forks may be a different issue but for the road (to me) it's six of one, half dozen of the other.
Old 11-26-18, 07:31 PM
Point

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I also take my QR wheels off a disc bike often and never notice a need to line up or adjust after. They just sit at the base of the slot and tighten. Perhaps one key is to make sure the axle is sitting in its natural resting position before making the initial set up of the pads.

I don't buy the additional stiffness argument for TA's in non suspension forks. If you look at it mechanically, both QR's and TA's sit in a rigid fork and are clamped tight at the distal end. The fork itself has no play and there is not that much play going on in a clamped QR axle. Suspension forks may be a different issue but for the road (to me) it's six of one, half dozen of the other.
Fully agree on rigid forks and I’m dubious on any advantage with suspension forks when you factor in the rest of the wheel components. Everybody also needs to remember the article quoted is marketing from Cervelo, so they have a vested interest in selling you something new. I’ve yet to see anything that quantifies any stiffness gain leading to a performance improvement.

Last edited by Point; 11-26-18 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-27-18, 12:29 AM
Happy Feet

Yes, I don't know enough about suspension forks to say one way or the other but could imagine that a through axle may have some effect on stiffness when individual blades are able to move up and down independent of the other but... when the fork is rigid, the only means of movement is at the axle itself and I don't see that with a QR. Just doesn't happen.
Old 11-27-18, 07:17 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
If thru-axle had been the norm, and QR were a new innovation, we'd all be talking about how 99.9% of cyclists don't benefit from QR.
Old 11-27-18, 08:15 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Regarding suspension forks:

Years ago (shortly after 15mmTA was introduced) a German magazine (it is always the Germans)) published an article summarizing 2 lab tests that compared the stiffness of QR and TA forks.

At the time, a few forks were available in both QR and TA versions, so you could really compare apples to apples.

One test compared the Rock Shox Reba in 9mmQR and 20mmTA (RS was trying to move to 20mm at the time).

Anothet compared some Fox fork (I forget which) in both 9mmQR and 15mmTA.

Both tested “stiffness” in a number of different ways (e.g., lateral, twisting in several different planes).

In both cases, the difference in stiffness - particularly along the steering axis - was significantly increased in the TA forks.

This was news to pretty much nobody who had used a TA fork.

I wish I could link to the article, but I would need to do a lot of searching on MTBR to find the thread where I got the link.
Old 11-27-18, 08:47 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
If thru-axle had been the norm, and QR were a new innovation, we'd all be talking about how 99.9% of cyclists don't benefit from QR.
No. On my bikes, you flip the QR lever into the Open position, and the wheel drops out. The lawyer tabs are gone.

When reinstalling the wheel, you flip the lever to the closed position, and a secure and properly tensioned connection is established between the frame and wheel.

No pointless spinning, and my solution takes under 5 seconds. Wow: a revolutionary development.

The only problem being that the rapacious American legal industry won't allow this, as apparently, cyclists are too stupid to use quick releases the way they should be used.
Old 11-27-18, 09:23 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
No. On my bikes, you flip the QR lever into the Open position, and the wheel drops out. The lawyer tabs are gone.
Dangerous, elitist thinking. Most riders would be well-served by a couple allen bolts and a short hex wrench. The 99.9% don't benefit from, nor even are capable of, the sort of super-fast wheel changes that one sees in the Tour de France.
Old 11-27-18, 10:41 AM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Does that also mean that the braking is faster?
No. Rotors and calipers don't care what kind of axle you have.

Will a wheel stay true longer?
No. Spoke tension doesn't care what kind of axle you have.

Do the TAs make it more difficult and longer to fix a flat while out riding?
Not really. You're running tubeless though, right?

would it make any sense, or for any other reason, to only use the TAs on the front wheel.
No. And as already stated, QR and TA is not interchangeable. Your bike takes one or the other, not both.

Old 11-27-18, 10:51 AM
Happy Feet

I agree with this in the sense that for a rigid fork it makes no difference. Whatever the bike comes with is ok to me.
Old 11-27-18, 10:58 AM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Regarding suspension forks:

Years ago (shortly after 15mmTA was introduced) a German magazine (it is always the Germans)) published an article summarizing 2 lab tests that compared the stiffness of QR and TA forks.

At the time, a few forks were available in both QR and TA versions, so you could really compare apples to apples.

One test compared the Rock Shox Reba in 9mmQR and 20mmTA (RS was trying to move to 20mm at the time).

Anothet compared some Fox fork (I forget which) in both 9mmQR and 15mmTA.

Both tested “stiffness” in a number of different ways (e.g., lateral, twisting in several different planes).

In both cases, the difference in stiffness - particularly along the steering axis - was significantly increased in the TA forks.

This was news to pretty much nobody who had used a TA fork.

I wish I could link to the article, but I would need to do a lot of searching on MTBR to find the thread where I got the link.
I went looking for your test, and although I couldn't find it, I did find this "test." Summary: TA makes a huge difference with suspension fork, but hardly any difference with a rigid fork, and this according to someone skilled and experienced enough to tease out the differences.

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...-vs-thru-axle/
Old 11-27-18, 03:47 PM
Dave Mayer

Dangerous, elitist thinking. Most riders would be well-served by a couple allen bolts and a short hex wrench. The 99.9% don't benefit from, nor even are capable of, the sort of super-fast wheel changes that one sees in the Tour de France.
?? Assuming that cyclists are too stupid and vulnerable to use a normal QR is elitist.

Here is a summary of the sorry saga that got us to thru-axles on road bikes:
  • 1930s: Tulio Campagnolo invents the QR system, a major improvement over the rotating wing-nut system that was standard on better bikes. The QR is superior in both speed of wheel removal, and the strength of wheel retention.
  • 1980s: Some dumbass (almost certainly in the US) hurts himself by not properly using a QR, and after being represented by a rapacious contingency-fee lawyer and abetted by a muddle-headed judge, wins a big settlement. From now on, front QR wheels must have and additional retention system, such as lawyer tabs.
  • From now on: Bike users for the last 30 years of suffered the useless ritual of spinning the nut on the skewer to get past the lawyer tabs, and then having to re-calibrate the nut to get a proper tension, and then flip the QR skewer.
  • In actual fact, most cyclists don't know how to do this, and simply spin the open skewer until they meet some rotating resistance. So there is barely enough tension to hold the wheel in.
  • So, thru-axels are developed to compensate for this user error: the end of the skewer is threaded, and passes through the hub, so users can spin away and obtain a proper tension. So now this whole pointless ritual takes at least 30 seconds instead of 5, and introduces the whole new risk of losing or damaging the threads on a frame-specific skewer.
What happens when you mung up the treads on your fork?

BTW: note that we are essentially back to the system found on bikes in the 1920's - prior to Campagnolo's critical invention.
Old 11-27-18, 03:53 PM
Dave Mayer

Follow-up question: I think someone should develop a conversion system that would allow a thru-axles frame to take a standard QR wheel.. Shouldn't be hard: two plugs on the frame that leave with a hole for the skewer and a standard 9mm front axle. You would also have to grind a slot in the fork legs for the wheel axle to drop through. This would give you the advantages of a conventional QR system.
Old 11-27-18, 04:46 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Follow-up question: I think someone should develop a conversion system that would allow a thru-axles frame to take a standard QR wheel.. Shouldn't be hard: two plugs on the frame that leave with a hole for the skewer and a standard 9mm front axle. You would also have to grind a slot in the fork legs for the wheel axle to drop through. This would give you the advantages of a conventional QR system.
They already have frames with modular dropouts
Old 11-27-18, 06:38 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
For shiggles, and to stoke the fire: there have been excellent QR through axles made, in terms of speed, anyway. Suntour and Manitou come to mind immediately.

Enjoying watching people argue [bullheadedly, about] both sides. Anyone who's actually owned both would know that both systems have pluses and minuses.