Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Momma wants to ride

Old 07-15-19, 09:50 AM
Mombutt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Momma wants to ride

I'm down to ride with my kid. I have been walking and lost some weight. I did an impulse buy and got 26in huffy cranbrook cruiser, awesome blue matte color. Anyways I can ride it but not sure if it's too small. I don't think my legs extend like they should when turning pedals. I was worried about being too heavy for the bike too, so I contacted huffy. The weight limit is 250 and I'm 275 now. Should j return the bike. Or just keep it and hope my weight will continue to drop 9lbs a month. Ps I saw a 29inch genesis cruiser that is a bit bigger may help with leg extension and not feel to cramped. Ps I'm somewhere between 5'10-6 ft tall
Old 07-15-19, 11:37 AM
ronin4740

Bikes: Giant TCR, Pure City Original Fixie, Fuji Roubaix, Raleigh M800

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
You might want to see if there's a Bike Co-Op or Project in your city. If so see what, if anything, they have available in your size. You're likely to get a better bike than the Huffy and a better fit in the process.

It's likely that the Huffy you bought will be okay at your current weight as companies have to define a weight limit but often the bike can hold a bit more but there's no guarantees. Still, if it helps you continue to lose weight you'll be under the weight limit in no time. If there isn't a better used option available then I'd probably suggest keeping it, riding it and replacing it with something nicer as time goes on if you continue to want to ride.

In any case have fun!
Old 07-15-19, 01:53 PM
linnefaulk

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Have you tried raising the seat?
Old 07-16-19, 02:00 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Mombutt
I'm down to ride with my kid. I have been walking and lost some weight. I did an impulse buy and got 26in huffy cranbrook cruiser, awesome blue matte color. Anyways I can ride it but not sure if it's too small. I don't think my legs extend like they should when turning pedals. I was worried about being too heavy for the bike too, so I contacted huffy. The weight limit is 250 and I'm 275 now. Should j return the bike. Or just keep it and hope my weight will continue to drop 9lbs a month. Ps I saw a 29inch genesis cruiser that is a bit bigger may help with leg extension and not feel to cramped. Ps I'm somewhere between 5'10-6 ft tall
Momma wants to ride? Then get on it!

Raise the seat until it feels right. If you can't raise it high enough to get your legs at the proper extension, then consider a larger frame. And don't worry about the weight limits; they're set by lawyers, not engineers. If exceeding the limit by 10% could be fatal, we'd all be dead.

-Kedosto